Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada: We will oppose more flights for Emirates, Etihad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ihad-1.1614329

Dubai: Air Canada will oppose any moves by Canada’s new Liberal government to grant more flights to Emirates and Etihad Airways, a senior Air Canada executive told Gulf News on Thursday, a day after the airline started flights to Dubai.

“There is enough capacity … between the two markets,” Duncan Bureau, Vice President of Global Sales at Air Canada said in an interview.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:57 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Is there anything they won't oppose?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let the market place decide.....not government.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
OMG here we go again. Air Canada will never learn!!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
OMG here we go again. Air Canada will never learn!!
Learn what?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:33 am

And I'm going to oppose what Air Canada is going to oppose.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
No change in AC's position. Obviously if the ME3 get more flights then AC/LH will lose traffic via Europe. And that's what this is about. Lets see what the new govts position is.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:08 am

It is one thing for them to say "we are opposed" (Naturally)... To say we WILL oppose any moves by the govt blah blah blah... Just shows the level of arrogance in the upper ranks of AC.

I mean seriously, who the hell do these executives think they are? Do they believe our Govt is puppets for them to do as they see fit with?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by hearna

I mean seriously, who the hell do these executives think they are? Do they believe our Govt is puppets for them to do as they see fit with?
You dont think AC execs and politicians belong to the same country club?

AC: We tried DXB, there was no demand

Hopefully this government will not give in to pressure of a company making millions every quarter and do whats best for the consumer.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052

“There is enough capacity … between the two markets,” Duncan Bureau, Vice President of Global Sales at Air Canada said in an interview.
[/I]
Dear Mr. Bureau.
How is EK selling YYZ-DXB-India different than you selling SFO-YYZ-DXB for <$500 RT, clearly below cost.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dupe..
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by vernonc
No change in AC's position. Obviously if the ME3 get more flights then AC/LH will lose traffic via Europe. And that's what this is about. Lets see what the new govts position is.
Exactly,

So will AC oppose any more flights from Alitalia, should they wish to expand beyond YYZ, possibly to YUL with its large Italian population - my relatives and friends would certainly appreciate the competition.

And why do I bring Alitalia into this debate - well of course Etihad has significant investment here, preventing bankruptcy of this so called Flag Carrier.

And what is different than AC/LH to West/South Asia, than AZ/EY, other than the former prefers less competition.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Exactly,

So will AC oppose any more flights from Alitalia, should they wish to expand beyond YYZ, possibly to YUL with its large Italian population - my relatives and friends would certainly appreciate the competition.

And why do I bring Alitalia into this debate - well of course Etihad has significant investment here, preventing bankruptcy of this so called Flag Carrier.

And what is different than AC/LH to West/South Asia, than AZ/EY, other than the former prefers less competition.
AC's position is largely that more service to massive connecting hubs will hinder point-to-point service. They wouldn't oppose Alitalia because:
a) Open skies exists between EU/Canada
b) Most Alitalia traffic would be Canada-Italy, not just using it as a flow through hub for 90% of traffic on the flights.

I don't think AC has (publically) opposed any additional rights for what would be point-to-point services, they are focusing on the idea flowing everyone through an international hub prevents Canada from having its own. Which I can see the logic of.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I don't think AC has (publically) opposed any additional rights for what would be point-to-point services, they are focusing on the idea flowing everyone through an international hub prevents Canada from having its own. Which I can see the logic of.
ok then, AC cannot sell any more USA-Canada-Asia/ME/Europe tickets either.
Cant have it both ways.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:42 am

Air Canada wants to have its cake and eat it too. Let the market decide if there should be any increase of flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.