Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada: We will oppose more flights for Emirates, Etihad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada: We will oppose more flights for Emirates, Etihad

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Hello Gulf! Welcome @ YVR anytime!

Please and thank you Prime Minister. Clean planes and some comfort at reasonable prices. I don't mind at all!^
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I have not stretched the truth. You state that EVERY major airport in Canada is self funding. It looks like you are relying on the Canadian Council of Airports talking points. Sorry, but it is you who is demonstrating a lack of honesty. I provided examples of how the air industry benefits from public policy, and you have not rebutted that.

True or False, the provinces and territories own and operate a large number of airports across Canada. The operations are paid for out of the provincial or territory revenues, some of which are derived from Federal transfer payments.

True or False, much of the air service in Canada's North including all territories and provinces have First Nations and Inuit ownership. The First Nations and Inuit have prudently used; the funds transferred by federal and provincial governments from land claim settlements, from annual First Nation directed disbursements and from other agreements to fund the air services.

True of False the Federal and provincial governments have provided money to regional airports to fund expansion and market development. (Hint, I gave the example of the Regina and Saskatoon airport funding in July.)

All of the funding and other support are necessary for national security and community development. However the fact remains that the funding is there.

In respect to the major airports, a case can be made that the rent paid by the major airports to the landowner, Canada is below market value. As well, it has been argued that the ability of the airports to use “payments in lieu of tax” to municipal and provincial governments across Canada allows the airport authorities to reduce their tax burden, providing an indirect subsidy.

You claim that the airlines pay through the nose to use airports. Yes, the fees seem high at some airports. However, the major airports are set up as non-profit entities which means that the money is invested back into the airports, benefiting the airlines. It doesn't get sucked out and then handed back in politically based funding decisions as is the case with many foreign airports. Again, I point out that many rural airports are supported by the provinces and territories. The landing fees are kept low intentionally because of the importance of the airports.

You dismiss my examples as a "diatribe". Ok then. How about providing some examples to substantiate your claims? That should be interesting, because you will be hard pressed to do so. Waving your hand about and saying no, is not a valid argument.
I did say major airports did I not which is where possibly 90% of planes land and takeoff......YUL/YYZ/YYC/YEG/YVR to name a few are privately run.
Your facts are still phoney and I won't bother getting into a pi$$ing contest with someone who stretches every "fact".
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:08 am
Suspended

I am affiliated with businesses that make exceedingly good money from the weakness of the Canadian dollar and cheaper manufacturing costs abroad. The brains reside in Canada. Apple has a similar mode of operation.
By allowing the E3 airlines to dominate our skies we would be allowing them to move the intellectual and operational expertise from here to a part of the world that has inherent dangers in it.
The pro E3 types have no clue about global realities or real economics.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Eugeniusz Bodo
Hello Gulf! Welcome @ YVR anytime!
Please and thank you Prime Minister. Clean planes and some comfort at reasonable prices. I don't mind at all!^
While not direct Western Canada service on EK, the recent tie-up between AS and EK is a workable solution for now - full codeshare/lounge/FF/Elite benefits

http://www.emirates.com/english/abou...laska-airlines
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Hello again
to a part of the world that has inherent dangers in it.
Well at least we know what the real problem in all this is for you - its that the airlines are from "that part of the world"

The math is like the logic..useless and extremely biased. UA was bailed out by the US but that doesn't count in the logic of the day.
Weird obsession about UA coming out of Oakville.
Whyfly didnt even bring up the American carriers.

I dont see why anyone in Canada should give a rats behind about the American airlines. Thats their problem and their governments problem. I would welcome the kind of access the ME3 have to the US (or better yet, Australia) into Canada.

When ME3 moved into Australia, the only company that suffered was QF - the only company to perhaps rival AC in their arrogance and gouging practices over a captive market in the past. They were forced to adapt and survived.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I did say major airports did I not which is where possibly 90% of planes land and takeoff......YUL/YYZ/YYC/YEG/YVR to name a few are privately run.
Your facts are still phoney and I won't bother getting into a pi$$ing contest with someone who stretches every "fact".
Unable to provide a coherent, rational response, you now state that my "facts are still phoney", yet you offer no explanation of that claim. Which "facts are phoney and why? What is evident is that your comments are consistently full of BS. You repeatedly dismiss other comments as untrue, yet you are unable to back your statements up with actual documented facts. As I wrote previously, waving your hand and saying that you dismiss someone's comment does not mean the targeted comment is untrue.

Is it stretching facts to now bring up expenditures such as $140 million provided by the Feds, QC province and Montreal city governments to rebuild the access roads to Trudeau international airport? What exactly would you call the near $500 million expenditure on the Union Pearson Express rail line? I don't think the Government of Ontario was building it to provide choo choo train rides for business folk.

Canada's larger airports are profitable. That's the fact that many people ignore. Despite all the complaints and all the whinging, the non profit companies are relatively well run when one considers that they are dealing with unionized government workers and a cross section of users and stakeholders who all have different interests. The fact remains that many of Canada's smaller airports receive subsidies and support from provincial governments and territories. These feed the larger airports or are used to take discretionary loads. An illustration of this is YKF. The last published direct subsidy for 2014 was $50 million. WestJet, Bearskin and Sun Wing use YKF.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Nov 8, 2015 at 9:59 am
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil
And I'm going to oppose what Air Canada is going to oppose.
As will I.
Canada needs more competition in the aviation market.

Originally Posted by Eugeniusz Bodo
Plus DXB is free of connecting airport taxes while FRA charges >EUR 50 and LHR £39.75...

I am affiliated with businesses that make exceedingly good money from the weakness of the Canadian dollar and cheaper manufacturing costs abroad. The brains reside in Canada. Apple has a similar mode of operation.
By allowing the E3 airlines to dominate our skies we would be allowing them to move the intellectual and operational expertise from here to a part of the world that has inherent dangers in it.
DXB/DOH/AUH are all very safe-I would say that being in Dubai can be safer than being in some parts of the USA at night!

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 8, 2015 at 10:38 am Reason: merge separate posts
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
You may think the Canadian government is subsidizing AC, but in the real world they are not. Maybe you should ask the same question about private IT companies larger than AC in size/$$ that are being "protected" by immigration laws. One could argue that all U.S. airlines are subsidized by the U.S. government by low fuel taxes and the fact that the US government covers most of the costs of building/running airports.
No, not having taxes on fuel is not equal to a subsidy.
Also, US airport taxes are actually FAR higher than Canada's.
YVRHKG taxes, RT
25.91 CA
20 SQ
1 XG (this can be reclaimed too on your GST return if this travel is for business purposes by a GST registered corporation in Canada)
=46.91 CAD
SFOHKG taxes, RT
35.4 US
4.5 XF
5.5 YC
5 XA
7 XY
=57.4 USD
= >76 CAD as of 8NOV
Nice try.
(excluding HK taxes for both since these cancel out and are not levied by the Canadian/US authorities.)
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Let's have a closer look at your statements;
1. I am affiliated with businesses that make exceedingly good money from the weakness of the Canadian dollar and cheaper manufacturing costs abroad.

In plain language, you make your living from businesses who sent Canada's manufacturing jobs away so that they could increase their profits. You also profit when international speculators force down the $CA. Nice. Well, that certainly explains the motive behind many of your comments.

2. The brains reside in Canada. Apple has a similar mode of operation.
Really? Once again, you demonstrate that you are full of BS. What exactly would you call the new research and development center scheduled to be completed in Yokohama Japan by March 2017? Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called it a "cutting-edge" research facility, and analysts described it as the planned lead R&D facility. What exactly is the large facility at Camrbidge, U.K.? What are the large R&D facilities in Shanghai and Tel Aviv? Combined they are significantly bigger than the facilities at Cupertino.

3. By allowing the E3 airlines to dominate our skies we would be allowing them to move the intellectual and operational expertise from here to a part of the world that has inherent dangers in it.

How exactly would additional flights from the Gulf carriers become a domination of Canadian skies? No one has argued for unfettered access. All I have seen is a request for additional landing/takeoff slots for Gulf carriers. The Gulf carrier access to Canada is rather minimal at this time. Another 10-30 slots isn't going to change much except take away some of AC's opportunistic profits derived from providing an inferior product at an inflated cost. No one gushes praise over AC's quasi route partner Etihad anyway. If Emirates and Qatar can do a better job, good for them. No one is running to fly ME abominations like Egyptair or Royal Air Maroc are they?

As for the comment about intellectual and operational expertise, I doubt anyone kept a straight face when reading that nonsensical comment. Outside of Chairman Calin and his ninja like skills at cost cutting, AC hasn't had an innovation or an original idea in 25 years. It has copied whatever the US carriers have done, particularly its previous strategy of slashing service and degrading the onboard product.

I do not support the Gulf carriers because IMO some are alleged to be directly linked to families who have engaged in support of groups and political actions contrary to Canadian foreign policy and Canadian views. (That's a polite way of putting it.) However, until such time as the airlines are sanctioned or subject to Canadian restrictions, they are legal operations and should be treated like any other foreign air carrier. If AC believes that the Gulf carriers are competing unfairly, AC can bring its case before the competition tribunal.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Nov 8, 2015 at 10:39 am
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
As for the comment about intellectual and operational expertise, I doubt anyone kept a straight face when reading that nonsensical comment. Outside of Chairman Calin and his ninja like skills at cost cutting, AC hasn't had an innovation or an original idea in 25 years. It has copied whatever the US carriers have done, particularly its previous strategy of slashing service and degrading the onboard product.
Incorrect. While some of these are Canada specific, some of these below address your comment about comparing AC with other N. American airlines.

Non-smoking airline (October 1990)
Air Canada became the first scheduled airline in the world to offer exclusively smoke-free flights between North America and Europe. Prior to this date, in September 1988, Air Canada became the first Canadian airline to ban smoking on all of its charter and scheduled flights within North America and the Caribbean.
Telephones at arm's reach (September 8, 1992)
Air Canada became the first airline in the world to offer all its customers telephones at arm's reach on all of its aircraft.

Electronic Ticket (December 7, 1995)
The Electronic ticket made its debut in Canada when Air Canada began testing the service on selected Canadian routes. It was phased in across Canada and on transborder routes during 1996.

Airbus A319 (December 1996)
Air Canada was the first North American carrier to operate the Airbus A319, the first of which was introduced on the Toronto-Boston route.

GO AC WEBSAVER (February 12, 1997)
Air Canada became the first airline in Canada to email electronic specials and discounts with the introduction of GO AC WEBSAVER.

Express Check-in (August 30, 1999)
Air Canada became the first airline to introduce self-service Express Check-in Kiosks in Canada.

Interline Electronic Ticket (June 14, 2000)
Air Canada and United Airlines introduced the world's first interline electronic ticket.

Simplified Fare Structure (May 2003)
Air Canada became the first North American legacy carrier to simplify its fare structure for bookings made online across its entire domestic network.

Multi-trip Flight Passes (April 2004)
Air Canada's self-managed online multi-trip Flight Passes are an industry first, leading to the creation of fixed monthly payment subscription passes for unlimited travel.

Personal Seatback Entertainment Systems (June 2005)
Air Canada was the first carrier to introduce personal seatback entertainment systems in smaller jet aircraft for short-haul flights.

Lie-flat Beds (November 10, 2005)
Air Canada became the first North American carrier to introduce lie-flat beds in all business class cabins across its refurbished international fleet

2D Barcode Technology (2006)
Air Canada led the development of airline industry standarts for the use of 2D barcodes by airlines.

2D Barcode Scanning (September 22, 2006)
Air Canada was the first airline in North America to implement 2D barcode scanning, with the introduction of 2D barcodes on boarding passes and itinerary receipts.

Electronic Boarding Pass (September 21, 2007)
Air Canada was the first airline in North America to introduce electronic boarding passes for mobile check-in, for customers using a cellular phone or smart phone

Mobile Flight Notifications (August 4, 2009)
Air Canada became the first North American airline to introduce Flight Notification service for delayed or cancelled flights, or gate change details to be sent directly to text-messaging-enabled phones or to an email address.

Air Canada Apps (August 20, 2009)

Air Canada was the first North American airline to release mobile applications for Apple and Blackberry devices in August and October 2009, respectively. The free App allows travellers to retrieve electronic boarding passes, track flight information in real-time, receive notification of itinerary changes and more.

Cargo Mobile (November 2, 2010)
With the introduction of the Air Canada Cargo mobile app, Air Canada became the first cargo carrier to offer a mobile tracking solution.

ACV Mobile (April 20, 2011)
Air Canada Vacations was the first Canadian tour operator to offer customers a free mobile application for Apple and Blackberry users.

Mobile Booking (September 12, 2011)
Air Canada was the first airline in Canada to introduce mobile booking through our Apple App.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/me...novations.html
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by airbus320
Let the market place decide.....not government.
Sorry but governments do decide which airlines get the rights to fly where and how often by international treaty.

It will be interesting to see how long AC can maintain its new YYX-DXB route since it is relying on local traffic between the two countries since it really has no STAR carrier in the region to pass passengers on to. Such local traffic is really a fantasy given over 90% of EK's passengers are transit, and much of the rest are stopovers en route to third countries.

But hasn't this issue been debated ad nausea. This should have been appended to one of the existing threads on EK.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:52 am

Speaking of reality, how can an airline (or three) dominate the Canadian market without serving the following markets from Canada:

1. Canada
2. North America
3. Europe
4. Latin America
5. East Asia
6. Australia

Does serving most of the South Asian and Middle Eastern market, and some of the African and South East Asian markets constitute dominating the Canadian market? What intellectual and operational expertise is going to leave Canada - the expertise on how to operate 10 flights a week to two destinations?

If your post is reflective of the 'intellectual' expertise residing in Canada, Canada has a bigger problem than we anticipated, namely 'economic realities' that aren't grounded in reality, and 'real economics' that isn't real.

Before you go around declaring people don't know what they're talking about, you might wish to revisit your own intellectual prowess.

Last edited by yulred; Nov 8, 2015 at 11:02 am
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Incorrect. While some of these are Canada specific, some of these below address your comment about comparing AC with other N. American airlines.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/me...novations.html
You forgot AC was one of the first airlines to deconstruct its corporate structure and spin off its FF program. Set up an LCC (twice). Rationalize its FF program based on fare paid vis a vis miles earned and benefits given. AC was a founding member of the STAR alliance, which IIRC preceded both OW or SkyTeam. Managed to emerge from bankruptcy protection without dumping its employee pension plan. Pooled flights with other airlines (i.e. code shared) specifically BA and LH. Introduced business class on key domestic and international routes. Dropped first class on international flights in favour of business class.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Such local traffic is really a fantasy given over 90% of EK's passengers are transit, and much of the rest are stopovers en route to third countries.
Really? Pulling facts out of thin air again, are we?

In 2012, it was 70% (published) - and since then arrivals into the UAE has gone up by a few million, proportionally less to EK's pax carried, leading to the conclusion, that even more people are now stopping in DXB - making it a destination, even if for just a few days.

Again, DXB is the FIFTH most visited city on the planet counting overnight visitors.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
It will be interesting to see how long AC can maintain its new YYX-DXB route since it is relying on local traffic between the two countries since it really has no STAR carrier in the region to pass passengers on to. Such local traffic is really a fantasy given over 90% of EK's passengers are transit, and much of the rest are stopovers en route to third countries.
"The three-times-weekly Dubai service will be Air Canada's first non-stop flight to the UAE at a time when air travel between North America and the region is growing, including more international connecting traffic over our Toronto global hub," said Calin Rovinescu, President and Chief Executive Officer at Air Canada.

They're hoping 20%-30% is sixth freedom traffic from the U.S. Looks like EK's managed to build something of an O&D market from the U.S. That can't possibly happen in Canada, can it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.