Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada meals for International Premium Economy Customers

FAQ: Air Canada meals for International Premium Economy Customers

Reply

Old Nov 5, 15, 12:21 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, AA EXP, NH, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 14,239
Air Canada meals for International Premium Economy Customers

As Air Canada receives more Dreamliners (787-9s) into its fleet and as the 77s get updated, more flights will have Premium Economy cabins.

Since many have been asking about these meals, perhaps this new thread will focus on those offerings here, while leaving the other thread to its original focus on International Business Class.

Where possible, please post the following information. Also, menu, meal description and/or photos are appreciated.

DATE:
FLIGHT #:
ROUTE:
DESCRIPTION:
24left is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 1:18 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 4,933
Thanks for this thread!

Hopefully we get a yyznomad-like person that will travel 20x a week in PE and post the menus!

And maybe some 24L-like person that will flood the thread with pictures for our drooling eyes.

One can only hope!
SparseFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 1:34 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: YEG
Posts: 2,234
Sept 20, 2015
Flight 847
MUC-YYZ
2 choices instead of 3 in J, Chicken or pasta, I passed, wife had chicken was basic domestic J meal she said it was fine
I did have, over course of flight, 6 bottles wine and water instead (plastic small bottles, French blend) it was very good by the 5th
xLuther is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 2:25 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: YYZ, HKG, MFM
Programs: *S(A3),OWR(AY), Marriott Plat, AS MVP, WS Silver, BA, AP
Posts: 1,771
I remember taking PY from YVR-HKG two years ago, the first meal was similar to business class meal, however the second meal was an economy class meal.

I haven't taken PY in AC since than, not sure if they have changed.
Jma12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 3:06 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: DL DM AC E75
Posts: 281
Oct. 20, 2015
AC007
YVR-HKG



Opted for the pork, but the beef appears to be a familiar domestic J offering. Good meal, although the salad was quite boring. Odd that drink (Clamato) was served in a plastic cup... usually you get the J tumbler with the first meal. If you get one for water, and guard it carefully, you can keep it through the whole flight.



Despite the order mentioned on the menu, the "light meal" was served next, about half-way through the flight. Opted for the beef, which was tasty enough for Y food... but clearly Y food.



"Sandwich and cookies" was served a few hours out of Hong Kong. While the sandwich presentation is awful, I found the simple chicken salad sandwich hit the spot, and did me fine until well after arrival into HKG.




Oct. 22, 2015
AC008
HKG-YVR



Had the pork again. Again pretty good. Salad was a little less disappointing than the outbound salad. In both cases, dessert were quite good. On the flight, got both wine (Y class and not very good) and water (same as everyone else) in a proper glass tumbler. Managed to hold onto the water tumbler throughout the flight.



Woke up to find the sandwich and cookies sitting on the tray table of the vacant seat next to me. Sandwich not as good as outbound, but did fine.



Breakfast served less than an hour prior to arrival. While I almost always have the congee in J, the congee here didn't appeal to me, so went with the eggs. Not great, but perfectly acceptable for Y food.



All in all, I wish they'd up the quantity of the first meal just a little bit, and raise the bar just a touch on quality on the second and third meals, but if J is not in the budget or upgrade cards, PE's not a bad way to go.
HometoYYZ is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 3:09 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, AA EXP, NH, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 14,239
@ HometoYYZ

Fantastic. Thanks so much for posting - and bonus, photos!
24left is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 4:36 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 4,933
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ View Post
Oct. 20, 2015
AC007
YVR-HKG



Opted for the pork, but the beef appears to be a familiar domestic J offering. Good meal, although the salad was quite boring. Odd that drink (Clamato) was served in a plastic cup... usually you get the J tumbler with the first meal. If you get one for water, and guard it carefully, you can keep it through the whole flight.



Despite the order mentioned on the menu, the "light meal" was served next, about half-way through the flight. Opted for the beef, which was tasty enough for Y food... but clearly Y food.



"Sandwich and cookies" was served a few hours out of Hong Kong. While the sandwich presentation is awful, I found the simple chicken salad sandwich hit the spot, and did me fine until well after arrival into HKG.




Oct. 22, 2015
AC008
HKG-YVR



Had the pork again. Again pretty good. Salad was a little less disappointing than the outbound salad. In both cases, dessert were quite good. On the flight, got both wine (Y class and not very good) and water (same as everyone else) in a proper glass tumbler. Managed to hold onto the water tumbler throughout the flight.



Woke up to find the sandwich and cookies sitting on the tray table of the vacant seat next to me. Sandwich not as good as outbound, but did fine.



Breakfast served less than an hour prior to arrival. While I almost always have the congee in J, the congee here didn't appeal to me, so went with the eggs. Not great, but perfectly acceptable for Y food.



All in all, I wish they'd up the quantity of the first meal just a little bit, and raise the bar just a touch on quality on the second and third meals, but if J is not in the budget or upgrade cards, PE's not a bad way to go.
Awesome post/pictures!

I am flying PE for the first time in December, looking forward to it. TATL though. So I will post my banana bread then
SparseFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 8:21 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,746
Great photos - thanks for posting!
gcashin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 9:29 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ View Post
Oct. 20, 2015
AC007
YVR-HKG


Great review! I don't have pictures so I'm borrowing a couple of yours.

Oct. 23rd
AC003
YVR-NRT

The menu is very similar except the main choice was chicken or beef and the only snack choice was cookies.

Main: I had the chicken and my boyfriend had the beef. He said his was good whereas mine was tasteless and all the sauce had been heated off. It was the first time I had to use that little packet of salt and pepper.

Tiramisu was good!

I didn't drink so I can't comment on that selection.

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ View Post

Opted for the beef, which was tasty enough for Y food... but clearly Y food.


For the light snack I also chose the beef and HometoYYZ's photo looks identical to my meal. It tasted pretty good. The boyfriend had the chicken and he had no complaints either.

OCT 29th
AC004
NRT-YVR

I believe it was the same mains going home (chicken or beef) and then for breakfast congee or the omelette.

Mains: We both had the chicken and this time I did get sauce with my chicken. It was much better with sauce!

Dessert: Orange chocolate cake which was quite nice.

Breakfast: Ordered the omelette which was ok. Everything but the potato was all combined into the eggs but it works. I don't think the domestic J omelette is better though.

The meals are for the most part pretty good. I didn't choose PY for the food but it's nice to have a little extra than basic Y. I do find it funny that one meal is served on nice plates with proper cutlery while the next meal is served in the generic Y packaging with plastic tear-away on top and plastic forks. I guess you get one premium and one economy experience.

Service was good on both flights. On YVR-NRT the service felt like a group effort and went a bit quicker. On NRT-YVR, there appeared to be one FA designated to our cabin to take care of the main issues but there were other FAs floating around to help her out too.
radnub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 10:17 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Posts: 25,658
Is there any "At Your Leisure" component to the PY menus?
yyznomad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 10:26 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Is there any "At Your Leisure" component to the PY menus?
I don't recall that feature on my menu but for a trip I took a week ago my memory is fuzzy about those things so perhaps someone will correct me.

*note to self - take pictures!
radnub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 10:30 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, AA EXP, NH, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 14,239
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Is there any "At Your Leisure" component to the PY menus?

No - at least not on AC 883 in PY in July.

I just pulled the hard copy menu to see if I missed part of it when I posted the photo. Nope
All it said was "A light refreshment will be served prior to arrival"
It was a heated snack in some sort of box. I could smell it but chose to continue sleeping.

Photo of menu and PY meal here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25167679-post489.html
24left is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 15, 10:47 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Posts: 25,658
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
No - at least not on AC 883 in PY in July.

I just pulled the hard copy menu to see if I missed part of it when I posted the photo. Nope
All it said was "A light refreshment will be served prior to arrival"
It was a heated snack in some sort of box. I could smell it but chose to continue sleeping.

Photo of menu and PY meal here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25167679-post489.html
Bummer. So like... no hot noodle soup in PY. I want that MSG to flow in my veins. AC needs to implement MSG IVs for S100K members.
yyznomad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 15, 11:33 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EBB/KLA
Programs: AC*SE, IHG Platinum, Hyatt, SPG, FlyingBlueS
Posts: 99
[QUOTE=HometoYYZ;25668973]Oct. 20, 2015
AC007
YVR-HKG




You got a real menu? On my last PY flight (HKG-YVR) we got some fantastic photocopies someone forgot to print the real menus made for some great laughs and conversation with the SD though. The first meal service at the time also came with J class wines and a great way to advertise some great Canadian wines I found sadly this may no longer be the case anymore.
mrooywg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 15, 1:46 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: DL DM AC E75
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Is there any "At Your Leisure" component to the PY menus?
There were the AC Express-style packs o' pretzels and a bottle of water with plastic cups set up on a trolley by L2, if memory serves. I believe that's all as far as mid-flight snacking options.
HometoYYZ is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: