Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada meals for International Premium Economy Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada meals for International Premium Economy Customers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
What happens when you request a SPML in PE (or in J, for that matter)? Do you still get a premium meal or do you get the same kind of SPML that you get in Y?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by jasdou
What happens when you request a SPML in PE (or in J, for that matter)? Do you still get a premium meal or do you get the same kind of SPML that you get in Y?
I asked that (SPML PE), but no one knew
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by radnub
OCT 29th
AC004
NRT-YVR

I believe it was the same mains going home (chicken or beef) and then for breakfast congee or the omelette.

Mains: We both had the chicken and this time I did get sauce with my chicken. It was much better with sauce!
Wow... was it actually the exact same menu items, or just chicken or beef both times? I find it odd that they'd double-cater the return out of YVR.... that is clearly not the case with HKG, but then, with the 77P on that route, I don't know if they would have storage space to do so if they wanted to.

Service was good on both flights. On YVR-NRT the service felt like a group effort and went a bit quicker. On NRT-YVR, there appeared to be one FA designated to our cabin to take care of the main issues but there were other FAs floating around to help her out too.
This seems to be the case in my observations too. There was an FA (I presume somewhat senior) clearly working PE exclusively... she made all the between-meal water runs, and did so regularly. But she got help on the main (and other) services from other FAs... second and third meal, for example, were done by the pair taking the trolley the loooooong way down to the back.

I was impressed with how quickly the meal was served, but I suppose given that it's natural that it would be quick, given that it's one-tray service for the main meal, and off-the-trolley for the other meals. But I was appreciative of the speed with which meals were distributed and then cleaned up, especially with the late evening departure out of HKG, when I was way beyond ready for some sleep.

Could just be the team on my flights... but I felt like I got as much or more recognition of SE status, recognition by name, etc., as I do in international J. Could be that it's a bit of a "novelty" having an SE in PE? I don't know. Or could be a "consolation prize" effect. I know I got way more attentive service than usual for Y on a HKG-YYZ flight earlier this year where I was the only SE to fail on the eUp.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
There were the AC Express-style packs o' pretzels and a bottle of water with plastic cups set up on a trolley by L2, if memory serves. I believe that's all as far as mid-flight snacking options.

Was this on AC 7 or AC 8 or both?
Sounds pretty dismal for the length of these flights.

Stated flight times on ac.com:
AC 7 13 hrs 20 min
AC 8 11 hrs 20 min
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I asked that (SPML PE), but no one knew
I am flying Pr in a couple of weeks and have requested a GFML. I will report then.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

On one TATL about 2 years ago, I was booked in Y and had ordered a SPML.
Got upgraded at the gate. SPML was brought to me. I am not aware that ordering a SPML in J or PE differs from one in Y. You might get lucky and an extra J dessert is available.

Can someone confirm if same or if this has changed? Thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I am flying Pr in a couple of weeks and have requested a GFML. I will report then.
Girlfriend meal?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Girlfriend meal?
You know exactly what jasdou means

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...cialmeals.html

Here's a list of the special meals available on our flights*:

Asian vegetarian meal
Baby meal
Bland meal
Children's meal
Diabetic meal
Fruit plate meal
Gluten intolerant meal
Hindu meal
Kosher meal
Lactose-free meal
Low-calorie meal
Low fat meal
Low salt meal
Muslim meal
Vegetarian meal (non-dairy)
Vegetarian meal (lacto-ovo)
Vegetarian oriental meal

* Certain restrictions may apply.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
Wow... was it actually the exact same menu items, or just chicken or beef both times? I find it odd that they'd double-cater the return out of YVR.... that is clearly not the case with HKG, but then, with the 77P on that route, I don't know if they would have storage space to do so if they wanted to.

This seems to be the case in my observations too. There was an FA (I presume somewhat senior) clearly working PE exclusively... she made all the between-meal water runs, and did so regularly. But she got help on the main (and other) services from other FAs... second and third meal, for example, were done by the pair taking the trolley the loooooong way down to the back.

I was impressed with how quickly the meal was served, but I suppose given that it's natural that it would be quick, given that it's one-tray service for the main meal, and off-the-trolley for the other meals. But I was appreciative of the speed with which meals were distributed and then cleaned up, especially with the late evening departure out of HKG, when I was way beyond ready for some sleep.

Could just be the team on my flights... but I felt like I got as much or more recognition of SE status, recognition by name, etc., as I do in international J. Could be that it's a bit of a "novelty" having an SE in PE? I don't know. Or could be a "consolation prize" effect. I know I got way more attentive service than usual for Y on a HKG-YYZ flight earlier this year where I was the only SE to fail on the eUp.
All I can remember about the mains on NRT-YVR is thinking that they were the same dishes as on YVR-NRT. Whether I just simplified that thought as 'chicken or beef' and the sides were different I unfortunately cannot recall. Urgh - now I'm going to have do the trip again!

I noticed a couple of elite tags (one SE) in the cabin but I didn't notice any extra treatment of them. In fact the meal orders were taken from back to front and delivered the same way so they didn't take orders by status....perhaps that's only a feature of the J cabin anyway.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
I noticed a couple of elite tags (one SE) in the cabin but I didn't notice any extra treatment of them. In fact the meal orders were taken from back to front and delivered the same way so they didn't take orders by status....perhaps that's only a feature of the J cabin anyway.
As a SE flying the PE cabin my orders have consistently been taken first.^
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Girlfriend meal?
I was thinking the exact same thing
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Flew PE YYZ-ZRH on 788 in September. J cabin full. Got take orders first as SE. Menu was similar to what others have posted here, similar to domestic J. Good choices and arrival meal is fine. Wish the pillows were better!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Air Canada 004
Tokyo Narita - Vancouver Intl
Sept. 14, 2015
Premium Economy, Seat 14D

Choice between chicken couscous and grilled AAA beef (IIRC). I've had the steak way too many times and this time decided to try the chicken, and was not disappointed. ^

Wine was Y-class selection of mini-bottles served in proper J tumblers but mostly undrinkable as expected. Sticked with G&Ts.

Slept most of the way so I don't recall mid-flight snack offerings (if any). Breakfast was standard Y-class fare ex-asia (choice of eggs or congee). This was the most disappointing part, but expected.

All in all, a very decent way to travel, when J class if out of reach. For shorter sectors I think this product makes perfect sense and AC has struck the right balance. I wished wine selection and second service could be improved, but then again, for the price point, can't really complain. Well done AC
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by gabdusch
Air Canada 004
Tokyo Narita - Vancouver Intl
Sept. 14, 2015
Premium Economy, Seat 14D

Choice between chicken couscous and grilled AAA beef (IIRC). I've had the steak way too many times and this time decided to try the chicken, and was not disappointed. ^

Wine was Y-class selection of mini-bottles served in proper J tumblers but mostly undrinkable as expected. Sticked with G&Ts.

Slept most of the way so I don't recall mid-flight snack offerings (if any). Breakfast was standard Y-class fare ex-asia (choice of eggs or congee). This was the most disappointing part, but expected.

All in all, a very decent way to travel, when J class if out of reach. For shorter sectors I think this product makes perfect sense and AC has struck the right balance. I wished wine selection and second service could be improved, but then again, for the price point, can't really complain. Well done AC
Looks tasty. Yeah, too bad the second meal is let down of sorts, but expected.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:02 am

Girlfriend meal?
That actually sounds better that what I have been served on my last couple of flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.