A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
YQ discrepancy on Aeroplan tickets

Round trip SFO-FRA on UA, FRA-SFO on LH, YQ of $428.00

One way SFO-FRA on UA, YQ of $0
One way FRA-SFO on LH, YQ of $233.20

Is this normal?

I mean I know Aeroplan has trouble with more complicated itineraries, but this one was pretty simple, easily done online.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check for revenue tickets. My guess is, will be precisely the same.

Don't look for logic where there isn't any. A judge once lectured me on "foolish consistency' when I argued that poorly defined semantics on employment insurance ought to match better defined for the same expression on income tax.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Round trip SFO-FRA on UA, FRA-SFO on LH, YQ of $428.00

One way SFO-FRA on UA, YQ of $0
One way FRA-SFO on LH, YQ of $233.20

Is this normal?

I mean I know Aeroplan has trouble with more complicated itineraries, but this one was pretty simple, easily done online.

Actually, I have a collection of LH routings where there is a difference if it is a RT ticket, if it's 2 one-ways, and if it's LH alone or with different carriers.

Having done 4 different LH F routings this year, it is amazing to see the huge differences in YQ depending on the departure city as well as the carrier.

LH is a fun and expensive YQ carrier with some of the highest costs. I chose to pay them as I determined the value of F to be worth it.

YYZ-MUC was similar to but higher than MUC-SFO.
HKG-MUC-YYZ was significantly less than either of the above.
Similarly, the miles needed was different.

I also looked at LAX-FRA and all manner of variations of YYZ-HKG and the differences were larger than I expected.

I was just about to tumble so numbers again, but ok look, Aeroplan is Désolé.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:05 pm

YQ is priced based on zone of departure.
Ex-North America, it's ~$430 per direction (regardless of which way across the atlantic you're going). So if you do UA + LH or LH + UA, it's $430. LH + LH, $860.
Ex-Germany, as you correctly state it's around ~$230 per person. So again, whether you do UA outbound plus LH Return or LH outbound + UA return, it's going to be $230. An LH + LH combo = $460 YQ.
Asia is unique for LH in that they have their own YQ components, which is fixed for the fare. So YYZ-MUC-HKG is going to be a fixed YQ component, which is treated differently than YYZ-MUC. You might as well assume they're completely separate flights.
It's also why leaving from Brazil has $0 YQ.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC*E50, AE dBlack, Club Carlson Concierge, NEXUS
I thought it was just UA not charging fuel surcharges on AP awards and LH charging it. Simple as that?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Ex-North America, it's ~$430 per direction (regardless of which way across the atlantic you're going). So if you do UA + LH or LH + UA, it's $430. LH + LH, $860.
Ex-Germany, as you correctly state it's around ~$230 per person. So again, whether you do UA outbound plus LH Return or LH outbound + UA return, it's going to be $230. An LH + LH combo = $460 YQ.
Asia is unique for LH in that they have their own YQ components, which is fixed for the fare. So YYZ-MUC-HKG is going to be a fixed YQ component, which is treated differently than YYZ-MUC. You might as well assume they're completely separate flights.

Hope that helps!
Thanks. This makes sense.

Well no, actually, it doesn't make sense. But it DOES explain what I'm seeing

Originally Posted by TehSuigi
I thought it was just UA not charging fuel surcharges on AP awards and LH charging it. Simple as that?
That wouldn't explain why pricing it as two one ways comes out at half the price of a round trip, for the same flights.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yerffej201

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info.

My intention when looking at and booking flights was not about the YQ. The objective was to get me to where I wanted to be and when while using a combination of certain carriers on certain routes. Some had high YQ, some had low.

BTW, I was curious and just checked LH using a paid or J ticket as the example.

SFO-FRA
International/Domestic Surcharge USD 428.00
Transportation Tax USD 17.70
Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee USD 5.60
Passenger Facility Charge USD 4.50

Economy
International/Domestic Surcharge USD 258.00
Transportation Tax USD 17.70
Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee USD 5.60
Passenger Facility Charge USD 4.50

And to Cow's observation:

Paid F ticket on UA on the same date:
1 adult (18-64): $27.80/person

U.S. Transportation Tax $17.70
September 11th Security Fee $5.60
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge $4.50
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
AE advised me last July that Luftansa is now surcharging award tx. It was more than $400 for AMS-TGL. Scandinavian was less than $100 for same routing.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bartolo
AE advised me last July that Luftansa is now surcharging award tx. It was more than $400 for AMS-TGL. Scandinavian was less than $100 for same routing.
That's not news, nor is it the topic of this thread.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
YQ discrepancy on Aeroplan tickets

ex-HKG has regulated fuel surcharges on tickets, including award tickets. ex-Brazil, again, legislation is against fuel charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.