Wiki Posts
Search

Skycheck trial on DH4?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Skycheck trial on DH4?

Full flight tonight YYZ-YQB and FA offered to skycheck, not gate check bags as this is a full flight. FA mentioned that this is something they are offering tonight on a "trial" basis... She just made an announcement on PA system...
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:53 pm

Trials currently running on the Q400 YYZ-YQB-YYZ and YUL-YYG-YUL and on the CRA YYZ-ATL-YYZ
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Indeed memo was sent out recently to employees. Done on a trial basis, which hopefully (if successful) will be expanded fleetwide.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Glad to see them doing skycheck on both these aircraft. Unfortunately I only take the ATL route, but it's always a pain trying to find room in the closet for my bag.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE
This is a good initiative - I really hope it becomes standard practice. Small bins on Q400and CRA is a major issue, and impacts on-time performance. Some bags that are a tight fit in the sizing device don't fit in the bins as well.

Last flight I took on the Q400 took a ~20 min delay due to a complete mess with carry-on bags. People assumed there was skycheck due to the small size of the aircraft and started leaving roller-bags on the bridge, and others followed. Once everyone boarded, those who left roller bags on the bridge had to deplane to get their bags, and then try to find bin space. Flight would have been on time if there was skycheck service like most other carriers offer on the Q400.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Experienced it YQB-YYZ last Saturday. I like the idea as finding space for (oversized) bags often causes delays.

What I did not like is the execution. It was not offered on a "trial basis" as indicated on a card provided by the GA; it was mandatory! My wheeled carry-on is small and is never an issue; it even fits in the CRJ bins. But I had no choice eventhough I was the first to board the plane. I had to skycheck it or no go...
Old May 15, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AC*SE
Anybody know if this "trial" became permanent? Curious if all the Jazz-operated Q400's now offer skycheck. Haven't been on one in awhile but looking like I'll be flying YEG > YYC > YCD shortly which are both DH4s. Thanks!
Old May 15, 2016, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by sinalet
Anybody know if this "trial" became permanent? Curious if all the Jazz-operated Q400's now offer skycheck. Haven't been on one in awhile but looking like I'll be flying YEG > YYC > YCD shortly which are both DH4s. Thanks!
Unfortunately not. Jazz has decided to suspend the trial citing

1 communication issues with GA,
2 turn around times,
3 low awareness/demand from passengers (their words) which stemmed from number 1
4. W and b issues causing many op ups to J on the 705
5. Low buy in from ground staff ( causing problems with 2 and 1)

I suspect number 4 and 5 were the tipping point.
Old May 15, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Thanks for the quick response. Will try to just bring a duffel then instead of my fully-legal rollaboard that easily fits in the E90 Y bins but have never been able to fit into the DH4 bins
Old May 15, 2016, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sinalet
Thanks for the quick response. Will try to just bring a duffel then instead of my fully-legal rollaboard that easily fits in the E90 Y bins but have never been able to fit into the DH4 bins
Why is that an issue? Jazz operated DH4's are NextGen and they have the larger bins.

I've never had an issue which is why I don't get why they even bothered skychecking in the first place.
Old May 15, 2016, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another problem was in stations like YSB where one flight was DH1 and sky check, next flight was Q400,no sky check.

Confusing for staff and customers.

As an aside, always liked the Q400 capacity flight switch to a Dash 100aircraft. What a gong show.
Old May 15, 2016, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kwflyer

2 turn around times,
3 low awareness/demand from passengers (their words) which stemmed from number 1

What does #4 have to do with the Q400?
Old May 15, 2016, 3:27 pm

Q400 skycheck trials are restarting on the 17th, YYZ-YQB and YYZ-YQT.
Old May 15, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kwflyer

2 turn around times,

While this may be part of the story, I'm confident it boils down to cost (having employees manually load the carry-on). Issues 1, 2, 3 and 5 could be easily fixed by giving ground staff a 15min briefing. #4 only applies on the 705, so I doubt it's a huge issue.

I'd be a huge fan of sky-check service being offered on the Q400:

- the overhead bins just about can accommodate a standard carry-on; anything marginally larger doesn't fit
- there's not enough space for all carry-ons
- one has to be there when group 1 boarding starts to find adequate bin space - meaning that I need to arrive at the gate 10-20min earlier than on DH1/3 flights.
Old May 15, 2016, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What does #4 have to do with the Q400?
Where in number 4 is the q400 even mentioned? When did the q400 get a j cabin on jazz?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.