Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread: CIBC Aeroplan credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master thread: CIBC Aeroplan credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:16 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yscleo
That's too bad. That encourages people to churn, rather than keeping the cards.
It's classic big Canadian bank strategy though. We have a cozy oligopoly here in banking, and customers tend to be very sticky, so there are often incentives to switch from one to another, but rarely incentives for existing customers. I feel like CIBC has consistently been somewhat unenthusiastic about the Aeroplan card business ever since TD muscled its way in.
​​​​​​​Re churning, I figure it won't be long before they go the way of Amex and stop giving out sign-up bonuses to people who've had the card before.
yscleo and unclepants like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
It's true CIBC hasn't been promoting the ae card much. They've been pushing their own Aventura card. TD is still pushing the ae card more than their own First Class card, which is actually much better than Aventura as the expediaforTD is a much better search engine and does give 4.5% return.

As for not giving bonus to stop churning, it's a calculation they need to make, because the flip side is they don't get those customers to come back. The older generation who don't shop around and stay with the existing cards, are getting older. The younger generation who are more comfortable with tech, do shop around.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by mileageking
That's correct. Call them to confirm though for your card.

Also your branch could give an additional rebate or waive the remaining $399 fee depending on relationship, tenure of account, maintaining certain balance, number of financial services, etc.
please let me know which CIBC branch could do this, more than happy to bring $200 K plus investment plus $800K mortgage from TD to CIBC, if any of the CIBC branch can waive the entire fee, even my TD FA will not be able to waive the entire annual fee.
please share if this is true, spoke to couple CIBC FAs, none of them can even waive $399.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by terencelai
please let me know which CIBC branch could do this, more than happy to bring $200 K plus investment plus $800K mortgage from TD to CIBC, if any of the CIBC branch can waive the entire fee, even my TD FA will not be able to waive the entire annual fee.
please share if this is true, spoke to couple CIBC FAs, none of them can even waive $399.
This isn't a published benefit so don't expect (or demand) to get a $399 credit even if you rollover $1m in mortgages (although CIBC may reward you $3k for the new mortgage ). If you are going to transfer a $800k mortgage and $200k in investments strictly to get a $399 additional rebate, then I suggest you re-evaluate your financial priorities.

I may have mentioned here or maybe somewhere else, relationships (which I have had with branch managers and staff for multiple years), tenure on accounts (several years), maintaining certain balance, financial services (multiple mortgages, investments, etc.) may all have played a factor. Again relationships are important .

Someone also mentioned above receiving $139 on remaining $399 which netted to $260. I suggest you present your case and try and negotiate through.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
As for not giving bonus to stop churning, it's a calculation they need to make, because the flip side is they don't get those customers to come back. The older generation who don't shop around and stay with the existing cards, are getting older. The younger generation who are more comfortable with tech, do shop around.
​​​​​
But the reason Amex decided to fire the churners, if you will, was that they're not very good customers. The card issuers spend much of the initial annual fee on the welcome bonus. They make a little bit of margin on the relatively small minimum spend, and then people usually stop using the cards and cancel them before they pay another annual fee. Ultimately, they're not very profitable for the bank.

I'm one of the "younger generation" still, I think, and while my friends might be slightly quicker to change cards than my parents and their generation, they still typically use cards for a few years and only change when there's good reason to do so, e.g. fed up with not finding Aeroplan seats > switch to Avion. Once they leave a card, they don't typically go back, so eliminating sign-up bonuses for repeat cardholders probably doesn't make much of a dent in the number of long-term cardholders, i.e. the ones who rack up more charges on their cards, pay annual fees year after year, maybe carry a balance and pay some interest.

I could be wrong, but I just feel like CIBC's lack of enthusiasm for the Aeroplan cards means they might not want to bother with the churners anymore.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: LH Sen
Can anyone explain how the free checked bag benefit works? (i.e. do I get reimbursed for the checked bag fee I pay or do I need to call in to have it applied)
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:28 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
I think your aeroplan # gets flagged as a cardholder (ie. its own type of status), so when checking a bag the system sees you as having the free bag. Just a guess since I haven't flown at all since I got the card (and have a free bag from status anyway). I seem to recall someone pointing out how a cardholder's boarding pass gets flagged as a cardholder just like *S/*G/E35/E50/etc get noted.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:34 am

But the buddy pass only covers NA including Mexico and Hawaii, but not other transcons. I was hoping to use it for Panama-Toronto, but it's not covered. (But now NCL offers 2nd guest flies free, so that can be used)
The CIBC worldwide companion pass at $25k threshold would allow you to book:

$99 Canada/US
$299 Sun destinations in Central America (including Hawaii)
$499 Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
$599 Asia, Australia and New Zealand
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond

$99 Canada/US
Ah, that's a different offering than the buddy pass. If you can make good use of this worldwide companion pass, that in itself is worth the AF.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC75 MM

$99 Canada/US
Anyone have any insight as to whether there will be points conversion option for the worldwide companion pass?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
This isn't a published benefit so don't expect (or demand) to get a $399 credit even if you rollover $1m in mortgages (although CIBC may reward you $3k for the new mortgage ). If you are going to transfer a $800k mortgage and $200k in investments strictly to get a $399 additional rebate, then I suggest you re-evaluate your financial priorities.

I may have mentioned here or maybe somewhere else, relationships (which I have had with branch managers and staff for multiple years), tenure on accounts (several years), maintaining certain balance, financial services (multiple mortgages, investments, etc.) may all have played a factor. Again relationships are important .

Someone also mentioned above receiving $139 on remaining $399 which netted to $260. I suggest you present your case and try and negotiate through.
I spoke to the general manager at transit #2, the biggest branch in the whole Ontario, and showed your posting in front of this GM, he has no clue what you're talking about, or said something about unpublished benefits. There is no such thing as unpublished benefits at CIBC, he said every offers are transparent and available to all clients. It is up to an individual, FA or FSR to absorb the cost of the credit card annual fee, so it is solely discretionary, and he does not think this is ethical or binding to CIBC code of conduct.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:35 pm

I spoke to the general manager at transit #2, the biggest branch in the whole Ontario, and showed your posting in front of this GM, he has no clue what you're talking about, or said something about unpublished benefits.
Read my earlier post again (bold) in response to above comments.

And on your following comments:

It is up to an individual, FA or FSR to absorb the cost of the credit card annual fee, so it is solely discretionary
Read my following post again in response to above comment:

Not sure if you also spoke to him what another FT posted below:

Originally Posted by SkyElite
Amazing thank you. I have a further $139 reduction from Smart Plus account to bring the final annual fee to $260, which isn't too bad given the eUpgrade rollover benefits!
Like I mentioned earlier, if you don't get reimbursed, shouldn't be the end of the world for you. Maybe best for you to discuss with him to transfer your mortgage (together with your investments) towards a $3000 cash back. You could also open a CIBC smart checking account and get $300 back.

So that's a total $3300. You need to weigh the overall benefits vs. your existing business at TD.

Good luck
jerry305 likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Has anyone noticed that they are no longer getting their SQM and SQS status qualification boosts for their credit cards? Looks like I received the proper SQM/SQS posting from my CIBC Aeroplan Infinite last month, but not on the credit card statement from a couple of days ago. I wonder if this is a new bug that has appeared as part of the EDQ roll-out as I am now receiving those.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Benner
Has anyone noticed that they are no longer getting their SQM and SQS status qualification boosts for their credit cards? Looks like I received the proper SQM/SQS posting from my CIBC Aeroplan Infinite last month, but not on the credit card statement from a couple of days ago. I wonder if this is a new bug that has appeared as part of the EDQ roll-out as I am now receiving those.
My statements get issued late in the month, and I got my SQM/SQS fine for April. Did you spend enough on the last statement to generate the boost?
Old May 10, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
I got my boosts from CIBC in late April, the day the statement posted IIRC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.