Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread: CIBC Aeroplan credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master thread: CIBC Aeroplan credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
It is worth noting that for sole proprietorships that do less than $30,000 in gross sales, there is no legal requirement to have a business name or have a business number, or a HST number in the case of collecting taxes. It is perfectly legal to have a business name as your first and last name, with no other words added to that. You only have to register a business name in a DBA type of scenario.

Thus if CIBC gives a headache over the business name portion, just point that out and use your first/last name.
This is actually very helpful. Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by trungngo13
Hi Jerry, you walked into your own branch or just any random CIBC branch?
Yes, I walked into the home branch for my CIBC chequing account.
But it's also the branch where I made my last Business Aerogold Visa application prior to that.
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Yes, I walked into the home branch for my CIBC chequing account.
But it's also the branch where I made my last Business Aerogold Visa application prior to that.
​​​​​​​Great, thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by trungngo13
Hi Jerry, you walked into your own branch or just any random CIBC branch?
​​​​​​​I'm literally at a random CIBC branch right now and they are looking into said card. They're clueless as usual.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I'm literally at a random CIBC branch right now and they are looking into said card. They're clueless as usual.
Try asking for this offer...

CIBC Business Aerogold Visa
20,000 signup points, plus 10,000 additional upon spending $1000 in the first 3 months.
$180 annual fee after the first year.
First year waived.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: *void
I'm literally at a random CIBC branch right now and they are looking into said card. They're clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by jerry305
Try asking for this offer...

CIBC Business Aerogold Visa
20,000 signup points, plus 10,000 additional upon spending $1000 in the first 3 months.
$180 annual fee after the first year.
First year waived.
And d​​​on't let them push their crappy Aventura Business card on you, if you really want the Aeroplans.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
And d​​​on't let them push their crappy Aventura Business card on you, if you really want the Aeroplans.
They found the card but they are having issues with the system. The agent has had to call in.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Someone in this thread opened the Aerogold Business Visa as FYF with a phone rep, just a few months ago. Maybe he can chime in on his experience with this. [/left]
I fit this description

I called into the CIBC small business desk and applied for the card. The agent was very knowledgeable about the product, he was very obliging and there was no problem at all with the process. This is probably a case where the HUCA rule comes into play... if a CSR is being difficult or simply doesn't know about the offer, HUCA.

Personally I wouldn't bother with in person branch applications. In my experience, staff in the branch generally seem to be uninformed when it comes to credit card offers and promotions. The application process also takes way longer that way. Don't bother.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
A word of caution for those who regularly churn cards. The travel insurance automatically ends when one cancels the card. So any travel bookings made with the cancelled card that have not yet taken will not have travel insurance coverage.
And for this reason, I was put into a situation where I didn't want to cancel my older Aerogold Business Visa cards, since I had used it to book an Aeroplan redemption for travel months into the future. So, I just forged ahead without cancelling and re-applied for another new card. Then 7-10 days later, I had 3 concurrent AeroBiz Visa cards in my wallet.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I fit this description

I called into the CIBC small business desk and applied for the card. The agent was very knowledgeable about the product, he was very obliging and there was no problem at all with the process. This is probably a case where the HUCA rule comes into play... if a CSR is being difficult or simply doesn't know about the offer, HUCA.

Personally I wouldn't bother with in person branch applications. In my experience, staff in the branch generally seem to be uninformed when it comes to credit card offers and promotions. The application process also takes way longer that way. Don't bother.
If only I knew this. The CIBC agent was hopeless, and I had to leave the branch for her to spend about 30 minutes on hold, only to go back and sign for my application. (I was tired of waiting) This is yet another reason CIBC is absolutely terrible. I'll take my points and cancel the card.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I fit this description

Thanks for coming into the spotlight. It's a good fit.

I agree about in-branch reps. They are generally NOT well-versed on CCs and their different signup offers, whereas if you call and get connected to a CC rep, they usually are boned-up on what's available....bank reps are there to try and sell you a loan, investment products, new chequing account, etc., they infrequently deal with CC matters.

Trouble is, you don't always get to one of these dedicated CC phone reps, it depends on how your call gets routed, and perhaps time of the day. Maybe not so much the case with CIBC, as I only know of one number, but with TD, when they run their promos they have a specific number to call to ensure you're speaking to someone on the CC Services team.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:37 pm

Hi guys,

I've held the Aerogold for Business for about 4 years now, every year I try to cancel before the fee hits but they offer to credit the $180 and add bonus points. Now, I want to apply for the CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privilege and I was wondering if I would qualify for the 50,000 bonus points. In the footnotes it states "You are eligible for this offer only if you apply and are approved for your first CIBC credit card. If you are a current or former CIBC cardholder, we may approve your application but you will not be eligible for the offer." Is this actually enforced?
Old May 28, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
Hi guys,

I've held the Aerogold for Business for about 4 years now, every year I try to cancel before the fee hits but they offer to credit the $180 and add bonus points. Now, I want to apply for the CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privilege and I was wondering if I would qualify for the 50,000 bonus points. In the footnotes it states "You are eligible for this offer only if you apply and are approved for your first CIBC credit card. If you are a current or former CIBC cardholder, we may approve your application but you will not be eligible for the offer." Is this actually enforced?
YMMV but about a year and a half ago I signed up for the Infinite Privilege and was a bit worried about the same footnote language (I had the regular Aerogold Infinite at the time). I got the bonus points without any issue.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:57 pm

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the same with aerogold cards but just last week after applying for the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite 2 months back, I received the 15k points but was also hit with $120 fee. Calling in a spoke to a manager and he said since I already have an existing CIBC credit card, I would not be eligible for the $120 annual fee credit. This is not good news as this mean we can't churn CIBC Aventura credit cards anymore or at least the one with the footnotes above.

I think in your case, you should be fine as you are paying the annual fee and receiving the bonus points.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Hi guys,

Yes it is enforced and no you won't qualify for the bonus points. That said YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.