Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What happens if "no show" on award ticket?

What happens if "no show" on award ticket?

Old Oct 7, 15, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Question What happens if "no show" on award ticket?

Do the points get lost? Or do they get deposited back to your account?
Do you have to pay to get them deposited? if he is a no show, does he lose the points?

My husband has a award ticket (aero points on UA flight, booked through AC online) for Saturday that he won't be taking. We are in France and cannot cancel the flight online, per website. We don't want to have to call internationally and be on hold for ever.

It's 30,000 points and except for using them on a UA flight in economy he won't be earning anymore aero points so I don't want to pay C$ 90 to cancel and deposit.

Input is appreciated.
Old Oct 7, 15, 8:54 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
In order to get any points put back into your account you have to do it at least 22 days before the flight. If your husband is a no-show, the points are lost. However, if you call and pay the $90 you may be able to change the dates but if you don't think that you will need the same route again, the $90 might well be wasted. Others might have more insight but as far as I know you cannot cancel and redeposit the points into your account this close to the departure date.
Old Oct 7, 15, 8:54 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
You will lose the points. You cannot re-deposit, only change the date forward as far as you want and then pay to re-deposit. No re-deposit within 21 days of departure.
Old Oct 7, 15, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you both. I didn't realize the 22 day in advance.
Old Oct 7, 15, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I know the "trick" has been posted here several times, but the OP may not be aware. OP--if you are within the 22 days, you can change the date to something that puts you well outside the 22 days. Then call back a day or two later and request a full refund. That should work to get you the points back into your account.
Old Oct 7, 15, 9:20 am

That trick could work but will cost $90 for the first change of date, then another $90 for the redeposit for a total of $180 and some time waiting on the phone. Might be worth it.
Old Oct 7, 15, 9:48 am

Programs: AP
Another option is to cancel the flight now, the miles will not be "re-deposited", nor any associated taxes, however, the ticket remains valid to fly for approx 1 year. The miles will not show in your AP account. You can then use that ticket, including change of route, itinerary etc later. No name changes are allowed. You'll pay the $90 fee+tax at the time you re-book. If you change destination where more points are required, those can be redeemed at the time of booking.

If you go to 'Your Aeroplan -> Manage my rewards' there is the option to cancel your ticket. I don't know whether this will affect the above-stated option, perhaps try using Skype or other VOIP to make the call as the safest bet.

I've just had this experience where I had to cancel a ticket within the 22 day window of departure.

Last edited by harpool; Oct 7, 15 at 9:52 am Reason: Added how to cancel online.
Old Oct 7, 15, 10:06 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador & lifetime Plat
Skype calling to the call centre will avoid the long distance charges.
Old Oct 7, 15, 10:14 am

Programs: AP
I just had to make a call to AP anyway, and got a very informative CR.

Regarding my earlier comment about cancelling online within your AP account, the rep suggested once that is done, go to the website of the airline(s) you're travelling on, and check that the flight was cancelled. If not, then call AP.

You should also receive email confirmation that the flight was cancelled via AP.

The ticket will remain valid for re-booking from original date of booking i.e. travel has to commence within 1 yr from when the booking went 'live'. Note, the date is not from original travel date, but original booking date.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by harpool; Oct 7, 15 at 10:16 am Reason: Added ticket validity
Old Oct 7, 15, 1:12 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
travel has to commence 1 yr from when the booking went 'live' ... and you have 1 year to complete the travel.
Old Oct 8, 15, 1:36 am
Original Poster

I was able to cancel on aeroplan site ( I had tried on AC site, not used having to use 2 different sites for award tickets). Award is valid till Feb, doubt he will use it before then, glad I cancelled in any case.

Again, thanks for input.

Last edited by DebitNM; Oct 8, 15 at 1:53 am
Old Oct 8, 15, 8:23 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
I know the "trick" has been posted here several times, but the OP may not be aware. OP--if you are within the 22 days, you can change the date to something that puts you well outside the 22 days. Then call back a day or two later and request a full refund. That should work to get you the points back into your account.
No need to wait - I've done this in the same phone call. Just explain at the beginning that you wish to change the date to >22 days so that you can then cancel for return of points, and explain that you do understand it's two change fees. I had zero problem doing this.
Old Oct 8, 15, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by hastuk View Post
In order to get any points put back into your account you have to do it at least 22 days before the flight. If your husband is a no-show, the points are lost. However, if you call and pay the $90 you may be able to change the dates but if you don't think that you will need the same route again, the $90 might well be wasted. Others might have more insight but as far as I know you cannot cancel and redeposit the points into your account this close to the departure date.
In this case the cost is $90 to have the points and fees refund completely with no obligation to use these points within specific time frame?
Old Oct 8, 15, 11:02 am

Yes, that would be how it works. I have done that a few times but only if outside the 22 day limit.
Old Oct 8, 15, 12:30 pm
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
In this case the cost is $90 to have the points and fees refund completely with no obligation to use these points within specific time frame?
Correct, but again you can pay $90 to change your ticket date so that it is now >22 days away, and then pay another $90 to refund the ticket. And you can do this on the same phone call. So the choice ends up being "are these points worth $180 plus tax?"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: