Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What happens if "no show" on award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens if "no show" on award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The alternative is to put the booking "on hold" or whatever they call it.

Then if you need to fly again, you can pay $90 to make the change. If it's coming up to the one year mark and you haven't flown, you can pay $180 then to get the miles back.

I know for myself, if my Thanksgiving plans this weekend fell through and I wanted to cancel, I'd just put the booking on hold until the next time I needed to fly to YYZ, because I know there will be many times in the next year where I'll be flying that route.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by beep88
travel has to commence 1 yr from when the booking went 'live' ... and you have 1 year to complete the travel.
The AP rep specifically stated and I reconfirmed, travel must commence within 1 yr, the return date can be outside of the 1yr (assuming it is a return ticket that you redeemed).
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Unused reward

Had a return reward tx on on LF booked thru Aeroplan for within Europe flights. If you choose not to use it and cancel, you have up to a year to rebook. No fees -- at least this was my experience. Cancelling ahead of time was the key thing. Since we did not end up using the return, we were able to get a full refund on all the fees and taxes. We did not get the points back.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
In this case the cost is $90 to have the points and fees refund completely with no obligation to use these points within specific time frame?
To be more clear, if your present flight dates are outside of the 22 days, you can simply call the aeroplan centre, cancel the flights and pay the $90 and your points will be put back in your account. These points are just simply yours to use whenever you want. You are not tied to one year or any other obligation since you have cancelled your tickets. The main thing is to do this prior to the 22 day limit otherwise the advice of changing dates makes sense.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hastuk
To be more clear, if your present flight dates are outside of the 22 days, you can simply call the aeroplan centre, cancel the flights and pay the $90 and your points will be put back in your account. These points are just simply yours to use whenever you want. You are not tied to one year or any other obligation since you have cancelled your tickets. The main thing is to do this prior to the 22 day limit otherwise the advice of changing dates makes sense.
Why call? You can do it on line.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Am I entitled to get a refund of flight fees (taxes and scamcharges) after I no-show an award ticket ?

I wanted to cancel a short haul 7.5K miles and $90 fees award but they wanted $150 plus taxes. Since miles are so easy/cheap (almost free) to manufacture/churn, I decided to simply not show up for the flight.

N.B: after the July 2019 changes, it is no longer possible cancel a ticket and "bank" a ticket for a latter undetermined date. One is forced to either refund it and pay the corresponding charge or change the ticket for a specific date.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Prior to the recent changes, cancelling was free. Refunding cost money. I'm pretty sure you had to actually cancel in order to get the taxes/surcharges refunded - you couldn't just no-show.

And you had to wait a year until the ticket expired.

With the new rules, I have no idea.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:17 pm
Suspended

I'll try to get a refund of my $90 taxes and scamcharges. If no refund -> Quebec small claims court or contact one of the QC lawyers currently suing AC/Aeroplan in a class action lawsuit.

Last edited by CardMaster; Oct 8, 2019 at 1:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.