Aeroplan Same Day Change (SDC) ?

Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Aeroplan Same Day Change (SDC) ?

I need to fly back from YUL to YYZ, the only flight is at 9 in the am. if I miss it and try to sdc for a later flight, will I be allowed to do this. AP usually books into Flex buckets, which on a revenue ticket allows SDC on rapidair.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What makes you think Aeroplan books into Flex? Aeroplan books into their own inventory with their own rules. Check these.

Used to be that SDC was allowed for business class rewards.

Actually the conditions say:

Can I change my booking at the airport on my departure day?

Yes. Same-day confirmed changes at the airport are permitted to either an earlier or later flight on the same itinerary for a charge of C$75 per passenger holding either a confirmed Economy, Premium Economy or Business Class Aeroplan Fixed Mileage Flight Reward or Market Fare Flight Reward on Air Canada, Air Canada express, or Air Canada rouge. No additional mileage charges apply for changes made on the day of travel at the airport, but changes are subject to availability.

Last edited by Stranger; Oct 1, 2015 at 11:16 am
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
AFAIK (and I could be wrong), it is earlier same day change. I always book the latest (or a later) flight and try for an earlier one.

I just did this YYJ-YVR-YYC on Aeroplan reward ticket. The connect for the earlier flight that I really wanted (and knew I could make) was not a legal connection so I booked the next one and phoned the concierge line to put me on standby (if not SE, I think AC should be able to do it) for the earlier one. Despite the YYJ-YVR flight being a bit late, I still made it to the gate where the agent had my boarding pass ready.

In your case, a later flight might fall into the "risky" category.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
AFAIK (and I could be wrong), it is earlier same day change. I always book the latest (or a later) flight and try for an earlier one.

I just did this YYJ-YVR-YYC on Aeroplan reward ticket. The connect for the earlier flight that I really wanted (and knew I could make) was not a legal connection so I booked the next one and phoned the concierge line to put me on standby (if not SE, I think AC should be able to do it) for the earlier one. Despite the YYJ-YVR flight being a bit late, I still made it to the gate where the agent had my boarding pass ready.

In your case, a later flight might fall into the "risky" category.
My experience is that you can SDC to any flight that day, so long as seats are available. It's been almost a year since I've done this on an Aeroplan ticket, but I routinely do this on paid tickets.

I think what you may be referring to is the standby rather than a confirmed SDC.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You can pay the SDC fee to get on any other flight that day, but it needs to be done at the airport, and I would not depend on them letting you do it after missing your flight.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Problem solved. Via Rail Biz Class in. Westjet back.
AP only offering 2 flights each way both too early. My 400K points are safe. At this rate I may never use them up.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yul36
AP only offering 2 flights each way both too early. My 400K points are safe. At this rate I may never use them up.
I know the feeling...

Indeed points are ever more useless.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:11 pm

SDC with no fees

Had an AP flight booked YYJ to DEN with an overnight in YVR (only reward flight available). Was to get in to YVR at 22:30 and leave at 6:30 following morning. Travelking with two young kids so not so ideal. Flights to YVR are basically hourly.

Phoned AC and AP with no luck getting a SDC but went in to airport and had no problem getting on an earlier flight and they even waived the fees. Told me to take my family out for a nice dinner instead.

Boarding passes issued, so no need to wait and see.

Lead Agent at priority check in desk. Pretty happy with the result and service.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by YYC122
Had an AP flight booked YYJ to DEN with an overnight in YVR (only reward flight available). Was to get in to YVR at 22:30 and leave at 6:30 following morning. Travelking with two young kids so not so ideal. Flights to YVR are basically hourly.

Phoned AC and AP with no luck getting a SDC but went in to airport and had no problem getting on an earlier flight and they even waived the fees. Told me to take my family out for a nice dinner instead.

Boarding passes issued, so no need to wait and see.

Lead Agent at priority check in desk. Pretty happy with the result and service.
Any idea if the flights were overbooked?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE
If same-day confirmed change entails $75 in fees, is standby (aka non-confirmed change) possible and is it free ?

Originally Posted by yul36
I find AC (compared to other airlines) to be stingy on short haul awards within North America, even though they run frequent flights between the destinations. I'd like to see AC release seats on an ongoing basis to give regular people a fairer chance of snagging availability, instead of releasing everything 350 days out only then nothing. Most people can't book 350 days in advance.

Last edited by InstantStatus; Dec 20, 2016 at 2:03 pm
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by InstantStatus
Is same-day confirmed change entails $75 in fees, is standby (aka non-confirmed change) possible and is it free ?
Standby is free for business class rewards.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:04 pm

Overbooked or not

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Any idea if the flights were overbooked?
I don't think so. My original flight was at 22:30 which I don't think has high demand. He purposely looked for flights that he could confirm us on immediately rather than put us on standby. There were a number of options. Our new flight didn't end up having an empty seat at takeoff though.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Standby is free for business class rewards.
Does anyone know if airport SDC either confirmed for $75 or standby for free, is possible on non Aeroplan reward Air Canada flights (specifically a Lufthansa Miles and More booking)?

I have booked onto an A321 in business but would ofc be happy to pay $75 to switch to the 788 lie flat business if there is a seat on the day.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Does anyone know if airport SDC either confirmed for $75 or standby for free, is possible on non Aeroplan reward Air Canada flights (specifically a Lufthansa Miles and More booking)?

I have booked onto an A321 in business but would ofc be happy to pay $75 to switch to the 788 lie flat business if there is a seat on the day.
No such privilege is extended to Business/First AC/AP redemptions on other Star Alliance carriers, so the assumption that we pretty much have to make on AC is that your LH FFP ticket is only eligible for travel on the flight you are confirmed on, in the class of service confirmed.

Now if you get lucky and there's IRROPs, then you certainly can ask to be on the 788 if available.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:10 pm

Are you sure standby isn't possible? I can understand if they can't SDC another airline's ticket stock, but standby is entirely in DCS.

And I'm pretty sure "I" class is "I" class at that point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.