Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Media falls hook, line, and sinker for WOW airlines press release. How will AC react?

Media falls hook, line, and sinker for WOW airlines press release. How will AC react?

Old Oct 1, 15, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E35K

I thought I'd continue this forum's grand tradition of the "How will AC react?" threads, which I know is just a way to appear to be on topic.

So, WOW, an airline from Iceland, is advertising YYZ/YUL-KEF-Europe fares for 149 each way all-in and sends a press release around, which is dutifully reproduced and retransmitted in whole or in part by local media stooges.

Those fares are actually for a few dates in May. Fair enough - a sale is a sale. The really trumpet their "all-in" nature.

At the time the OP was written, see below: Then, those fares appear to become the same fares in June (and then increase for the high season) but only the base fare. The extras get piles on top of that.

(And that's before the ~$60 carry on bag fees per direction and the ~$80 checked bag fees get added on...)

So I wonder if AC will react by altering its website so that fares are all-in for some months, and then exclusive of taxes in subsequent months.

EDITED TO NOTE: I've looked again and it seems like all fares on wowair.com are now quoted as all-in.

Last edited by zorn; Oct 1, 15 at 7:19 pm
Old Oct 1, 15, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zorn View Post
I thought I'd continue this forum's grand tradition of the "How will AC react?" threads, which I know is just a way to appear to be on topic.

So, WOW, an airline from Iceland, is advertising YYZ/YUL-KEF-Europe fares for 149 each way all-in and sends a press release around, which is dutifully reproduced and retransmitted in whole or in part by local media stooges.

Those fares are actually for a few dates in May. Fair enough - a sale is a sale. The really trumpet their "all-in" nature.

Then, those fares appear to become the same fares in June (and then increase for the high season) but only the base fare. The extras get piles on top of that.

(And that's before the ~$60 carry on bag fees per direction and the ~$80 checked bag fees get added on...)

So I wonder if AC will react by altering its website so that fares are all-in for some months, and then exclusive of taxes in subsequent months.
If WoW does fly to YUL, then its advertising is potentially in breach of la loi sur la protection du consommateur and its provisions regarding the accuracy of advertised prices. You can't separate taxes and base fares as part of your advertisement, that is illegal. Air Canada being headquartered in Québec is of course subject these provisions and does. If you go to aircanada.com, all the advertised prices are all inclusive of taxes and surcharges because they must. Maybe such deceiving practice is permitted out of YYZ given that Ontario lacks any consumer protection measure of significance and companies can pretty much do whatever they want there but I can assure you WoW will find itself in troubles if it wishes to do business out of YUL.
Old Oct 1, 15, 11:39 am

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Originally Posted by Guava View Post
If you go to aircanada.com, all the advertised prices are all inclusive of taxes and surcharges because they must.
I too was under the impression that this was required by law.
Old Oct 1, 15, 11:53 am

Programs: AE, AA
It depends on the meaning of all-in

The fares referred to in the PR are inclusive of taxes and fees, but it does not claim they are inclusive of any additional services such as baggage, advanced seat selection etc.

So it is the same as AC (or any other carrier) quoting their fares but piling on extra charges for those same items.
Old Oct 1, 15, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
I too was under the impression that this was required by law.
Depends on whose law you are talking about. Consumer protection and price accuracy claims typically fall under provincial jurisdictions and in the U.S., that is only defined at the State level, if any exists at all. Although air transportation is regulated federally, WoW being an Icelandic company means there will be little to none federal oversight apart from safety or registration issues. Being a non-Canadian company complicates the legal matter so the only recourse you will have is the fact that WoW actually flies into two Canadian provinces and in the event of adverse judgement against WoW, the Court can order WoW's assets be seized. But say you are a resident of Manitoba and you want to bring a misleading advertisement claim against WoW in Manitoba under its laws, then you will probably be wasting your time since WoW does not fly to Manitoba and courts in Manitoba cannot seize assets outside of its territory. You can try to have the Manitoba decision executed and recognized in Ontario since ON will entertain legal rulings from all provinces except Québec. But that is not guaranteed and it will require more time and cost so unless your case is worth several thousands and possibly 5 figures or above, the effort is just not worthwhile.

WoW is only flying to Boston and Washington D.C. so far. YYZ and YUL are its newest destinations but WoW may be under the false impression that Canadian regulation is just like in the U.S. where companies can pretty much do whatever they want. For that matter, many companies, even the large ones, learn the hard way just how different the law can be between Ontario and Québec, especially foreign companies doing business in Canada for the first time. Many would start by studying laws in Ontario, then assume doing business in Québec simply means translating whatever there is in Ontario into French. For example, on the shop.ca thread, many people reported receiving cancellation notice from shop.ca after the order was accepted and paid for due to X reason. While in Ontario, shop.ca acting as an agent between the supplier and the consumer has no other legal responsibility other than refunds the full amount, in Québec, the contract is deem to be between the consumer and shop.ca, not whatever supplier the product is coming from and refund does not absolve a legal contractual relationship that was created. If the 33lb of dog foods from X supplier is not available, then shop.ca would be liable to find another dog food supplier if so insisted by the consumer. Or alternatively, the consumer can buy the quantity of dog foods required elsewhere and if he/she incurred a higher cost as result, he/she can legally bill the difference to shop.ca Somehow, I don't think even shop.ca understands that since most companies assume laws of Ontario applies to entire Canada but it is not.

Originally Posted by RSWillson View Post
The fares referred to in the PR are inclusive of taxes and fees, but it does not claim they are inclusive of any additional services such as baggage, advanced seat selection etc.

So it is the same as AC (or any other carrier) quoting their fares but piling on extra charges for those same items.
It's not the same situation. zorn, the OP specifically mentioned fares from June onward is the same price but applies only to the base fares. Since air transportation in Canada cannot be bought with just base fares, if the advertised prices fail to include thing such as airport taxes, then it's misleading advertising.
Old Oct 1, 15, 12:50 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Damn this is AWESOME!
Old Oct 1, 15, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
The prices do include taxes/surcharges.

They just don't include bags, carry-on, etc.
Old Oct 1, 15, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
"what other protections do we have besides the press?"

*raucous laughter*

I actually don't see much of a difference in WOW's pricing to Europe to the current competition. It looks like for most travellers it'll be $600+ RT, on seating which is no better than ACr.
Old Oct 1, 15, 1:48 pm

I was browsing this morning before the news outlets started reporting the press release. There weren't many super affordable dates available, maybe 1-2 per week.

Can't check now though, the website is getting hammered. 🔨
Old Oct 1, 15, 2:03 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
I actually don't see much of a difference in WOW's pricing to Europe to the current competition. It looks like for most travellers it'll be $600+ RT, on seating which is no better than ACr.
@ $600 thats more than half what I pay for AC Eastern Canada EU FP with 8 credits which comes out to $1400 RT.
Old Oct 1, 15, 3:03 pm
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
YYZ-KEF is about 25% farther than YYZ-YVR. In a 320. Ugh.
Old Oct 1, 15, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
@ $600 thats more than half what I pay for AC Eastern Canada EU FP with 8 credits which comes out to $1400 RT.
Because FP's are the cheapest option
Old Oct 1, 15, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by c_9 View Post
YYZ-KEF is about 25% farther than YYZ-YVR. In a 320. Ugh.
With 30" pitch and no free food/beverages (or anything else for that matter).

But on a positive note you are allowed one free carry-on weighing up to 5 kg, so you can bring the necessary victuals on board with you.
Old Oct 1, 15, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E35K
I checked again and all-in pricing is now what gets quoted. I don't know when it was fixed.
Old Oct 1, 15, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by RSWillson View Post

AC does not charge $60 per carry on bag.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: