Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AC E35, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by 24left
On a flight from SFO, a young mom with baby was looking to sit near her parents. I was close enough, offered her my Preferred seat and had a row at the back to myself. All good.

If the mom wants to sit with the parents, why didn't they all move to the empty row at the back?

Why do people who haven't paid for a preferred seat expect them for free just because they calved out a kid?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by mikeymikd
If the mom wants to sit with the parents, why didn't they all move to the empty row at the back?

Why do people who haven't paid for a preferred seat expect them for free just because they calved out a kid?
Agree 100%. This is not about Preferred seats though is it? It's about the ability to be together when the airline is charging for any advance seat selection.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Fizzer
However, the passive aggressive pseudo threatening behaviour exhibited by comments such as "they can express that view to me at the time if they have the nerve" provides more evidence to back up my "opinion" that some people seem to lack what used to be called common decency ( as in I'm prepared to help and be kind but only if there is no loss to me, or even better a gain).
Kindness is a gift not an expectation. Parents who are too dumb or cheap to select adjoining seats for their issue shouldn't expect it much less demand it. If they become aggressive or abusive when their demands are not met they should be aware that not everyone will sit patiently and quietly in return.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by skybluesea
btw...at present, with dissolution of Parliament, Canada has NO Minister of Transport, and only those Members of the Board of Internal Economy have nominal responsibilities.
MPs are still MPs until the end of October 19th. Ministers are still ministers (even if they aren't MPs after October 19th) until a new cabinet is sworn in.
http://www.pco-bcp.gc.ca/index.asp?l...ention-eng.htm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:48 am

You may be surprised but I agree with 100% of what you say.

I do have some sympathy though for those families on a budget who are caught in a system resulting from the airline hiding the true cost of travel by not including seat selection ( in non preferred seats)in the ticket price. I also recognize that by doing so the airline has kept the costs lower for those for whom seat selection is a non issue. It's a balancing act but one that needs a nudge to fix perhaps.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks a number of posts have been deleted as well off topic so let's please leave the meta-discussion about government policies toward children, having children or how many children for other forums and focus this thread to discussing the thread topic which is airlines seating children separately from their parents.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by mikeymikd

To answer your first question:

On the LAX flight, I had no intention of giving up my then paid-for Preferred seat. Eventually after take-off, someone in front of me did.

On the SFO, baby was a few months old and crying rather loudly. The mom looked exasperated and I decided the farther away I was, the better (nope, no headphones for me on that trip).

IMHO, The MAIN issues here are:
1. AC sells Tango tickets that require the additional purchase of a selected seat. Fine, ŕ la carte it is. But there are consequences.....

2. Some families with children on limited budgets perhaps, refuse to pay for that menu option and whether it's AC IT or other reasons, are then separated when checking in as there just aren't always 4 seats together

3. The game of Onboard Musical Chairs ensues, annoying FAs, pax who paid extra for their Preferred seats and some family members who have become separated.

4. Someone then thinks this is worthy of government legislation because they won't make the right personal choices when they travel.

As for the issue of a child being seated completely separately from their parents, I agree with the posters upthread who wondered how bad IT can be when the ticket is specifically booked for a child and family is travelling together.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
...<snip>...

2. Some families with children on limited budgets perhaps
This is the one that gets me. If you can't afford it, don't go. Don't make your lack of funds a problem for others. Plan ahead. Save more for your trip. Take another mode of transport. Etcetera.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:59 pm
Suspended

To answer your first question:

On the LAX flight, I had no intention of giving up my then paid-for Preferred seat. Eventually after take-off, someone in front of me did.

On the SFO, baby was a few months old and crying rather loudly. The mom looked exasperated and I decided the farther away I was, the better (nope, no headphones for me on that trip).

IMHO, The MAIN issues here are:
1. AC sells Tango tickets that require the additional purchase of a selected seat. Fine, ŕ la carte it is. But there are consequences.....

2. Some families with children on limited budgets perhaps, refuse to pay for that menu option and whether it's AC IT or other reasons, are then separated when checking in as there just aren't always 4 seats together

3. The game of Onboard Musical Chairs ensues, annoying FAs, pax who paid extra for their Preferred seats and some family members who have become separated.

4. Someone then thinks this is worthy of government legislation because they won't make the right personal choices when they travel.

As for the issue of a child being seated completely separately from their parents, I agree with the posters upthread who wondered how bad IT can be when the ticket is specifically booked for a child and family is travelling together.
If AC was playing it fairly, they would inform parents with kids under 11 on their booking that either they:

a) will be seated together at seats x,y, and here are your complimentary pre-assigned seats which can only be changed at the standard seat assignment fee
b) they will have to pay a reserved seating fee, which would be mandatory prior to check-in because -11s cannot fly alone
c) they would have to pay a UM fee and have a flight attendant be in charge of their child.

However, leaving it as it is now is not acceptable.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:08 pm

This is yet another example of people's lack of self-advocacy when it comes to travel. Let's book the cheapest fare, not ready any of the fine print, and then cry at the last possible minute that the whole fam-damnly isn't sitting shoulder to shoulder. If it was so crucial that everyone was together why not make a point of calling after booking? asking at the counter? at the gate? No, let someone else worry about your affairs, assume the world revolves around your PNR, and just waltz through life without care.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:18 pm
Suspended

I really don't know why this is such a controversial sore spot with some posters, and why parents shouldn't reasonably expect to be seated together with a child (or any other person) on the same PNR.

British Airways policy (and this should reasonably be expected of any airline)

If you don't pay to choose your seats, British Airways will allocate seats to passengers travelling with children (aged 2-11 years) approximately three days before departure. We aim to seat families together; however where this is not possible children will at least be seated with one adult in the same booking.

UK Civil Aviation Authority Guideline:

Families, children and infants

The seating of children close by their parents or guardians should be the aim of airline seat allocation procedures for family groups and large parties of children.

Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children.

Whenever a number of infants and children are travelling together the airline should make every effort to ensure that they can be readily supervised by the responsible accompanying adults.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Allvest
I really don't know why this is such a controversial sore spot with some posters, and why parents shouldn't reasonably expect to be seated together with a child (or any other person) on the same PNR.

British Airways policy (and this should reasonably be expected of any airline)

If you don't pay to choose your seats, British Airways will allocate seats to passengers travelling with children (aged 2-11 years) approximately three days before departure. We aim to seat families together; however where this is not possible children will at least be seated with one adult in the same booking.

UK Civil Aviation Authority Guideline:

Families, children and infants

The seating of children close by their parents or guardians should be the aim of airline seat allocation procedures for family groups and large parties of children.

Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children.

Whenever a number of infants and children are travelling together the airline should make every effort to ensure that they can be readily supervised by the responsible accompanying adults.

As for BA, does AC have similar? In writing?

As for U.K. guidelines, is this what our bunch are trying to do?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:27 pm
Suspended

As for BA, does AC have similar? In writing?

As for U.K. guidelines, is this what our bunch are trying to do?
AC has nothing.

Other airlines state they will attempt to seat families together at no fee. Ryanair offers 50% discount on ancillary service fees for families travelling together.

It's truly sad that a carrier purporting to be world class needs guidance on this type of issue.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:29 pm

That seems to be a perfect and logical solution really. It highlights that sitting with your family is after all a reasonable expectation and not an entitlement behaviour, identifies genuine safety concerns for all and has all the hallmarks of common sense. It just seems strange that airlines here seem unable or unwilling to consider something so simple.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
AC has nothing.

It's truly sad that a carrier purporting to be world class needs guidance on this type of issue.
Hear hear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.