Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
^

Why pay if all I have to do is lay on the floor and throw a fit?? I can do this for upgrades and preferred seating if I can get away with it and save a ton!
+1

My kids finally grew older.

But when they were younger, we had to plan so between my wife and I, at least one of us would be sitting with our kid(s).

If parents learn from this woman, and know that they just need to throw a fit, and get the seats they want, why would any parent pay for seat selection in the future.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Allvest
You know, kids are the ones who will carry our future. I think we are seeing adequately well in Europe at the moment what happens when adults and society in general are too self absorbed in getting ahead to have and take care of kids.

Parents need to be given a break here, not the selfish childless single career freaks who think money for retirement will grow on trees.

For those who say that everyone should pay their own way, I say, do NOT, ever, expect my kids to pay for your social and retirement benefits unless you have at least as many kids as I do. Fair enough?

The thing is, many posters are not "childless, single, career freaks" but also have and fly with their children.

Perhaps as suggested above, this is some ridiculous piece of data that came from focus groups for the upcoming election, where every party tries to find constituencies they can win over.

IMHO, it has nothing to do with some of us not understanding that children are our future. And I understand your view about not wanting your kids to pay for others. But given that we live in Canada, which most days runs as a giant "group-benefit plan", we are all paying something for someone else.

This issue is about learning how to buy a ticket and how the choices one makes in buying that ticket has implications on others.

Allvest, I'm sorry if you see this debate as a battle about the merits of children. It is absolutely not, for me at least. It is either the rules apply to everyone, or to no one.

AC spent time and money and caused no shortage of stress with their red bag tags and other adventures. I am quite sure someone there is clever enough to figure out a better solution.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 30, 2015 at 11:24 am Reason: To include Allvest's updated quote and add to my response
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Perhaps AC should introduce a policy and program a system where a Tango reservation has 3 or more people, they are able to get assigned seats for free starting at the back of the plane, as long as the seats are adjacent to each other - e.g. seats 35 A, B, C.

Simple solution.

Consider the free assigned seats adjacent to each other as a "perk" for a "volume sale"
Why should they be special? I don't think 3 tickets is "volume".
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
The thing is, many posters are not "childless, single, career freaks" but also have and fly with their children.

Perhaps as suggested above, this is some ridiculous piece of data that came from focus groups for the upcoming election, where every party tries to find constituencies they can win over.

IMHO, it has nothing to do with some of us not understanding that children are our future. And I understand your view about not wanting your kids to pay for others. But given that we live in Canada, which most days runs as a giant "group-benefit plan", we are all paying something for someone else.

This issue is about learning how to buy a ticket and how the choices one makes in buying that ticket has implications on others.

Allvest, I'm sorry if you see this debate as a battle about the merits of children. It is absolutely not, for me at least. It is either the rules apply to everyone, or to no one.

AC spent time and money and caused no shortage of stress with their red bag tags and other adventures. I am quite sure someone there is clever enough to figure out a better solution.

I think it's about whether a parent receiving confirmed seating with their child should be considered an "entitlement" or whether they should be "made to pay" for it

I, for one, do not believe that multiple PAX in a PNR should be separated in the first place. The reservation system could easily handle these things, but I would bet that AC has contracted IBM to write special code to separate PAX so they'll never ever think about not paying a ridiculous fee to select a seat in advance.

Apart from the above, this also doesn't make AC look good in front of the public. It wouldn't take much for AC to offer some human touch to their service offerings without being legislated to do so.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; Sep 30, 2015 at 11:44 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
What a brave stand from a Minister. Just wait until all the people who are Pro-splitting children from their parents on flights with strangers get a hold of this.

If you're flying with your kid, you should be forced to pay for seat selection if not included in fare/status. Simple as that. If any airline separates the seat selection of parent/child PNR, the fines should be swift and heavy to ensure they understand the stress, fear and frustration being separated from your child.
+ 1. Pay up, or shut up.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
+ 1. Pay up, or shut up.
Tell that to a 75 year old on OAS because they didn't save for their future and didn't raise kids to help them in their old age. Think about what this means.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:43 am

I think it's about whether a parent receiving confirmed seating with their child should be considered an "entitlement" or whether they should be "made to pay" for it

I, for one, do not believe that multiple PAX in a PNR should be separated in the first place.
+1.

I don't believe that being seated with my party on the same PNR is an entitlement, or something I should have to pay extra for. Call me crazy if you want, but that is my expectation.

(This does not mean that I condone adult temper tantrums, or requests to other passengers to downgrade their seats to accommodate the families...)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Give me a break...not another set of special customers! Pay the advance seat selection fee or risk traveling apart. Why should they get free seat selection in advance for the same fare I'm paying?! Having children is a choice, and every choice has its responsibilities and consequences. Another "family ploy" by the Conservatives!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
"I, for one, do not believe that multiple PAX in a PNR should be separated in the first place."

I, for two, believe that.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
"I, for one, do not believe that multiple PAX in a PNR should be separated in the first place."

I, for two, believe that.
If some seats are being assigned at check-in or at the gate, but not all (i.e. some pax have paid for advanced seat selection), it will be almost impossible to avoid breaking up groups if the flight is full or relatively so.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know, kids are the ones who will carry our future. I think we are seeing adequately well in Europe at the moment what happens when adults and society in general are too self absorbed in getting ahead to have and take care of kids.
Not sure why kids carrying our future is relevant? The debate isn't about children and their usefulness for continuing on human civilisation or ensuring that there will be people to pay into the pension system in 30 years.

This is a discussion about whether one should have to pay for seat selection. And given the company has established a policy saying yes, then so be it. If you don't like that policy, then don't do business with them.

I'm not sure why AC should be forced/feel obliged to give free seat selection to children / parents. If they wanted to do it as a company policy, then that's one thing. But they aren't a company owned/operated by government to fullfill a national social or economic government policy (that, in the case of supporting and giving preferential treatment to parents and children, does not exist).

Parents need to be given a break here, not the selfish childless single career freaks who think money for retirement will grow on trees.
Given there is no national "grow the population through boingy boingy", why should parents get a break and selfish childless single career freaks who think money for retirement will grow on trees, as you put it, should not? I don't see the fairness in that. Selfish childless single career freaks pay taxes, pay into school taxes through property tax despite not having children to attend school, contribute to society, buy plane tickets for young people, etc.

Last edited by YOWkid; Sep 30, 2015 at 12:19 pm
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Deaf paraplegic with broken arm sitting in an exit row? Government can say no to that.

8 year old not sitting beside mommy? Not the government's problem.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I, for one, do not believe that multiple PAX in a PNR should be separated in the first place.
Absolutely agree with this. Multiple pax on a single PNR are traveling together by definition and should therefore be seated together to the greatest degree possible.

However, as long as the current system is in place, this is the only way you can expect to have a decent chance of sitting together on AC:

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Pay up, or shut up.
While I tend to agree with what the minister is suggesting here, ignorance of the current system shouldn't be an excuse for parents to throw tantrums onboard.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Give me a break...not another set of special customers! Pay the advance seat selection fee or risk traveling apart. Why should they get free seat selection in advance for the same fare I'm paying?!
I don't want "free seat selection", I want "free seat adjacency".

If you think those are the same thing, then you're entitled to that opinion. I don't share it.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Of all of the scenarios/challenges that I face on a daily basis, this is amongst the easiest to resolve as per my earlier post. Do we really need yet another piece of legislation??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.