Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's their choice to have a confirmed seat and be denied boarding because the airline overbooked the flight?
No, neither alternate is good. Given the options of a UM vs an adult, the adult should be able to, er, adult.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's their choice to have a confirmed seat and be denied boarding because the airline overbooked the flight?
Their choice was to take a chance by choosing a fare that does not includes free seat assignment and not paying for a seat assignment whereby making them first priority for getting bumped though.

Not quite the same thing, but still, presumably they should have known the risk.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
You guys are funny...

Actually AC has not been charging for seat assignments for families in years. So all that talk is obsolete.
This...

Originally Posted by RangerNS
No, neither alternate is good. Given the options of a UM vs an adult, the adult should be able to, er, adult.
Why are we talking about UM's on a thread that is specifically about parents who are travelling with their children? AFAIK there are other threads on the subject with details that would render the discussion on the hypothetical situation obsolete, but I don't want to derail this thread even further...
tcook052 and ffsim like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by glazfolk
Absolutely. It's the responsibility of the parents to arrange seating arrangements, rather than to expect special treatment, especially with budget airlines. Nobody is forcing them to fly.
I have to view that latter sentence as somewhat questionable in various situations. In some cases, flying is the only option; in others, it may be the only feasible/practical option. And though it is rarely the case that the incumbent is someone like Spirit or Allegiant, there are cities where you only have one or two "incumbent" carriers with similar policies and no alternatives. So while folks aren't being marched down the jetway at gunpoint and then having their wallets stolen when they board the plane, I think the degree of consumer choice (to say nothing of educated consumer choice) is problematic.

An easy example, btw, is airlines saying that "Yes, we'll seat a parent with a child in X proximity"...but not setting their systems up to actually automatically do that (I can't speak to whether they're doing a decent job of informing folks after ticket purchase about what they need to do to see to the assignment).

YEG USER I think the discussion is between seating families together and creating something that amounts to a UM situation due to seating arrangements.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
An easy example, btw, is airlines saying that "Yes, we'll seat a parent with a child in X proximity"...but not setting their systems up to actually automatically do that (I can't speak to whether they're doing a decent job of informing folks after ticket purchase about what they need to do to see to the assignment).
The documented news cases we have seen were ultimately situations where they did not bother telling AC part of the group were children, or actively worked against them even being a group at all (which would have advantages outside of seat assignment), booking minors on adult tickets and not even liking them to the existing group.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
For domestic tickets, 16 year-olds are adults. They don't quite have the same issue with sitting apart, though they would have issues being treated as adults in IRROPS (hotel check-in, etc.).

But I agree with the rest. I can book someone as a youth, child, or infant. And I suspect it costs the same (or less?).

If you tell the airline someone's a youth/child, you get the benefits of that. I don't know if "youth" gets you free seating benefits, but we're still talking about 12-15 there, which is not nearly the same as a 5 year old.

The point is, this is not an issue on AC any more.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by RangerNS
The documented news cases we have seen were ultimately situations where they did not bother telling AC part of the group were children, or actively worked against them even being a group at all (which would have advantages outside of seat assignment), booking minors on adult tickets and not even liking them to the existing group.
That's fair, and in defense of a bunch of airlines it isn't like you tend to see serious follow-up (or many cases of an "investigative report" dropping a brick on the initial complainer...Elliott will sort-of do this but that's about it). The most you get is muddled equation, not "The customer really was trying to be too clever by half".
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:34 am

With GHT Jrs now, all I can say is AC and UA makes a lot of effort to have us seated together (or in close proximity) as a family.

As others have mentioned we also get free seat selection with Basic Economy fares too. Even if that did not pan out gate agents and onboard staff usually do magic.

so I don’t know where all these bad experiences came from or are they just a few bad apples in the lot

seriously when your a teen do you still wanna sit with your parents? I recall me purposely asking to be seated away from them as far as possible.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: *G
I continue to see the opinion that anyone seated separately from kids "brought it on themselves" by not paying for seats, informing AC that one or more pax were kids etc etc. Please remember that not all travel is discretionary - there are circumstances when families are flying for reasons such as relocation and are at the mercy of corporate travel policies, TAs etc. I posted on another thread about how Canadian military families are booked - every person (including infants) on a separate PNR and no, paying for seat selection is not covered. That post was scorned by some of the regular FTers, and dismissed as the TA not following the rules. Pardon me, but if you haven't been subject to how it's done, please refrain from pontificating. But just pointing out that the situation can arise for a number of reasons which are NOT the passenger's fault.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fin 645
I continue to see the opinion that anyone seated separately from kids "brought it on themselves" by not paying for seats, informing AC that one or more pax were kids etc etc. Please remember that not all travel is discretionary - there are circumstances when families are flying for reasons such as relocation and are at the mercy of corporate travel policies, TAs etc. I posted on another thread about how Canadian military families are booked - every person (including infants) on a separate PNR and no, paying for seat selection is not covered. That post was scorned by some of the regular FTers, and dismissed as the TA not following the rules. Pardon me, but if you haven't been subject to how it's done, please refrain from pontificating. But just pointing out that the situation can arise for a number of reasons which are NOT the passenger's fault.

True that it mght not be the passenger fault. But surely neither the airline. If it is the passenger's employer fault, such as apparently the case of the military, please blame the issue there and don't expect the airline to fix an issue that it's not aware of because someone else messed up.

In a sense in the current context it is still the passenger's fault in the sense that the passengers should have taken the issue with the party that booked them and made them know there was an issue. Actually booking an infant on a separate PNR is in violation of the airline's rules. Just wrong, period. Absolutely the case that the TA is not following the rules.
canadiancow and GrayAnderson like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: *G
True that it mght not be the passenger fault. But surely neither the airline. If it is the passenger's employer fault, such as apparently the case of the military, please blame the issue there and don't expect the airline to fix an issue that it's not aware of because someone else messed up.

In a sense in the current context it is still the passenger's fault in the sense that the passengers should have taken the issue with the party that booked them and made them know there was an issue. Actually booking an infant on a separate PNR is in violation of the airline's rules. Just wrong, period. Absolutely the case that the TA is not following the rules.
Firstly, I am not blaming the airlines in general nor AC in particular. I am merely trying to point out that passengers may not have any control over the situation. I can only wish that your bookings had to be made in similar circumstances and maybe then finding out how useful (read useless) taking "issue with the party that booked them and made them know there was an issue." will be. I'll admit that I have no idea if the TA is breaking rules except that it's been done this way for ages and AC has never objected nor taken the TA (AMEX) to task.

And what happened when we brought the issue to the attention of an MP? A litany of comments from the MP about the idiocy of government booking procedures. Actually if there is any bright side to this, it's that it usually takes so long to get an approval to book that it's often last minute and only higher end fares are left, and they may in fact provide free seat assignments. What that all costs the taxpayers never seems to matter.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

I would claim it is the airline problem. Most times when I book a flight I need to enter the age of the passenger. The airline knows the age of the passengers on the same PNR; has full access to adjust any seating on the aircraft and has been told by government sit kids next to their parents. Some computer code in the airline reservation system should be able to make all this happen. (The assumption that an airline can effectively implement software changes may be a stretch, but it can at least try).

They could even have humans do it. I will give you an example. In the early days of WestJet you could only pick your seat at online check-in time. Back then I was fairly regularly flying from London Ontario to Saskatoon. That was a milk run London-Winnipeg-Saskatoon-Calgary-Vancouver-Prince George. At check-in in London I once commented how this flight was weird in that my seat was always pre-assinged. She explained yes, that is their doing. The day before the checkin agents will go in each day and pre-assign seats for anyone doing more than one hop, otherwise they are only left with middle seats.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I would claim it is the airline problem. Most times when I book a flight I need to enter the age of the passenger. The airline knows the age of the passengers on the same PNR; has full access to adjust any seating on the aircraft and has been told by government sit kids next to their parents. Some computer code in the airline reservation system should be able to make all this happen. (The assumption that an airline can effectively implement software changes may be a stretch, but it can at least try).

They could even have humans do it. I will give you an example. In the early days of WestJet you could only pick your seat at online check-in time. Back then I was fairly regularly flying from London Ontario to Saskatoon. That was a milk run London-Winnipeg-Saskatoon-Calgary-Vancouver-Prince George. At check-in in London I once commented how this flight was weird in that my seat was always pre-assinged. She explained yes, that is their doing. The day before the checkin agents will go in each day and pre-assign seats for anyone doing more than one hop, otherwise they are only left with middle seats.
If you give AC the passenger ages (international) or age groups (domestic - youth/child/whatever), you get free seat selection.

So what you're saying SHOULD happen DOES happen, if the passengers tell the airline they have children.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
If you give AC the passenger ages (international) or age groups (domestic - youth/child/whatever), you get free seat selection.

So what you're saying SHOULD happen DOES happen, if the passengers tell the airline they have children.
Then this all should be a non-issue. System should just pre-assign seats.

Are people deliberately picking seats away from their children? I don't get why this is an issue.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Then this all should be a non-issue. System should just pre-assign seats.

Are people deliberately picking seats away from their children? I don't get why this is an issue.
Because they go to AC.com (or a TA, or ... however people book tickets?) and book 4 adults in Basic/Standard instead of 2 adults and 2 children.
RangerNS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.