Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Equipment Change: 3 cabin to 2 cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Equipment Change: 3 cabin to 2 cabin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin
This is an issue that was discussed in detail when the 788's were scheduled for certain flights but AC could not receive them in time.
...discussed but never resolved. Ben ran away from it.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Ok here's another scenario. A passenger buys E or N and the plane goes from a 3 to 2 class. They have no status, well maybe star *G would AC downgrade them to Y on a flex fare basis.
If they bought PY because its in theory more comfortable than most of the Y cabin ( on the slave ship all of the Y cabin ), and has more amenities. Could they walk away from the ticket for a full refund since AC is no longer providing the class of service they contracted for. Plus a flex fare would cost them the extra status miles that comes with the higher fare.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Allvest
....AC changing equipment clearly is NOT the passengers fault, and AC can't just say, "we'll refund the fare difference between PY and Flex, so we owe you $3.25 for the 13 hour PEK-YYZ flight.

I doubt AC is accommodating in J because they "feel bad", but because they were told that this is something that had to be done....

I was not the only one who paid for a PY seat in the early days of the 788s.
I was also one of many that AC did not inform of the equipment swap to a 333.
I did not receive any email or notification from AC about it and only found the change by looking on ac.com.

The agent was not sure what to do back then, put me on hold, consulted with god, came back and said, we'll put you in Y and refund you $400.

I said no. If I wanted Y, I would have bought Y.

He had no other choice but to issue a complete refund.

As this situation continued - and not on purpose by AC I might ad - others were being refused refunds when equipment was swapped. I am sure Allvest is right and perhaps AC received some advice that this is not the way to do things.

Originally Posted by yul36
....Could they walk away from the ticket for a full refund since AC is no longer providing the class of service they contracted for. Plus a flex fare would cost them the extra status miles that comes with the higher fare.
That question also led to a huge debate on the issue of being downgraded and losing COS.

Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin
This is an issue that was discussed in detail when the 788's were scheduled for certain flights but AC could not receive them in time.
Exactly.

And if you need any further reminder of this adventure, there is this thread on the subject as well as many posts in other threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...m-economy.html
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:10 pm

My big issue with the two options of downgrade to Economy or a full refund is that fares may have significantly increased since the time of purchase so other valid (comfortable?) alternative options may no longer be present.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monkai
My big issue with the two options of downgrade to Economy or a full refund is that fares may have significantly increased since the time of purchase so other valid (comfortable?) alternative options may no longer be present.
Correct, which is why the only truly fair solution is, at least for involuntary downgrades, to accommodate the passenger in J (if not available on that flight, offer a re-route).

I commend AC to have finally come around to that realization.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by above.the.clouds
Forgive my naivety, but then what's the point of FT?
To make AC accountable to its customers?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: Presto
I commend AC to have finally come around to that realization.
If PY goes up to J on Intl, does PY (Preferred Y) go down to Y on Domestic?

I'm thinkin' so, watching my upcoming domestic flight for an equipment change from 77W...

What goes up must come down
Spinnin' wheel, got to go round
Talkin' 'bout your troubles, it's a cryin' sin
Ride a painted pony, let the spinnin' wheel spin
~Blood Sweat & Tears
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoahVail

I'm thinkin' so, watching my upcoming domestic flight for an equipment change from 77W...

~Blood Sweat & Tears
That would make sense if PY was booked into Latitude, but it's easy to upgrade those domestic sectors.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NoahVail

~Blood Sweat & Tears
That would make sense if PY was booked into Latitude, but it's easy to upgrade those domestic sectors.
PY isn't sold on domestic.

You can take another preferred seat, which is what you paid for.

Last edited by canadiancow; Oct 1, 2015 at 4:14 pm Reason: Accidentally included an extra quote
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow

You can take another preferred seat, which is what you paid for.
I should have said "that makes sense BECAUSE PY is booked into latitude"
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I should have said "that makes sense BECAUSE PY is booked into latitude"
I think we interpreted the question differently.

I thought NoahVail was asking about booking an economy fare, selecting a seat in the PY cabin (because they're just preferred seats), and then having it swapped out.

Also, upgrades from Latitude only work if you have eUpgrade credits, which for the vast majority of customers, means you have status.

If my mom gets rebooked from N to Y, that does her no good.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I think we interpreted the question differently.

I thought NoahVail was asking about booking an economy fare, selecting a seat in the PY cabin (because they're just preferred seats), and then having it swapped out.

Also, upgrades from Latitude only work if you have eUpgrade credits, which for the vast majority of customers, means you have status.

If my mom gets rebooked from N to Y, that does her no good.
Right. I was talking about the domestic portion of a PY ticket overseas being booked in B class, so it will map to Latitude only on a swap.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:15 am

LOL.

Not sure if you have a chance to look at the latest AC promotion:

https://destinationbonus.aircanada.com/#close

Double Aeroplan miles if one flies 1 return or 2 one way segments in Premium Economy (as well as Premium rouge & business) between 23 Canadian city pairs. Someone at AC marketing obviously thought that there is PE service within Canada.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Clipper801
LOL.

Not sure if you have a chance to look at the latest AC promotion:

https://destinationbonus.aircanada.com/#close

Double Aeroplan miles if one flies 1 return or 2 one way segments in Premium Economy (as well as Premium rouge & business) between 23 Canadian city pairs. Someone at AC marketing obviously thought that there is PE service within Canada.
Well, at least they fixed the 24left noted spelling mistake from Pittsburg to Pittsburgh. Let's give them that golf crap.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Well, at least they fixed the 24left noted spelling mistake from Pittsburg to Pittsburgh. Let's give them that golf crap.

Ya, but......

(Note to AC IT - I see it on the Chrome version, not on my other browsers. Just saying'....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.