FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   What destinations outside of Canada/USA will AC send 737's? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1711604-what-destinations-outside-canada-usa-will-ac-send-737s.html)

Dorian Sep 21, 2015 8:49 pm

What destinations outside of Canada/USA will AC send 737's?

BS alluded to the 73's heading out on longer missions.

Where ya think they are going?!

The Lev Sep 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Here's a few no-brainers...

• YYT and maybe YHZ to LHR (may be too much lobster freight from YHZ)
  • YYZ-MEX
  • YYZ- northern South America (Bogota, Caracas if Venezuela gets its house in order)
  • YYZ-BGI and any non-rouged destination in the Caribbean
  • YYZ-BDA
  • YVR and possibly YYC to some destinations in Hawaii

pitz Sep 21, 2015 9:38 pm

YVR/YYC-PTY/SJO/LIR
YVR-HAV
YYZ-ANC
YYZ-LIM
YVR-CUN

YYC/YVR-Carribean

None of these routes scream for a 767 capacity-wise (ie: not particularly high yield), but they're not really easily do-able with the 319 (which gets sketchy over 2600 miles, as seen in AC's YYZ-POS operation before they cancelled it, or even the plethora of winter diversions on YUL-SFO).

YVR-HAV simply to connect the Asia network to HAV. I think this one is pretty obvious.

edit: YYZ-LIM might be pushing it a bit much...

The Lev Sep 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by pitz (Post 25460292)
YYZ-LIM

This is probably a bit too far. Boeing claims range of up to 3515 nautical miles (4040 statute miles) for the 737MAX-8. YYZ-LIM is 3836 miles, so technically flyable - but that ignores safety factor, headwinds, weather avoidance, aircraft variability, etc.

If AC tried the plane on the route it would be severely weight restricted and likely prone to technical stops.

pitz Sep 21, 2015 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 25460339)
This is probably a bit too far. Boeing claims range of up to 3515 nautical miles (4040 statute miles) for the 737MAX-8. YYZ-LIM is 3836 miles, so technically flyable - but that ignores safety factor, headwinds, weather avoidance, aircraft variability, etc.

If AC tried the plane on the route it would be severely weight restricted and likely prone to technical stops.

Yeah that was my feeling after standing back from the keyboard for a few minutes and looking up the distance. So basically we're talking about missions between 2600nm (the approximate limit of the 319 before you get into offload scenarios), and roughly 3400nm.

The Lev Sep 21, 2015 10:10 pm

Even 3,400 nm is probably very optimistic. I'd be surprised if AC flies these things on routes that are even 3,400 statute miles.

SparseFlyer Sep 22, 2015 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 25460150)
BS alluded to the 73's heading out on longer missions.

Where ya think they are going?!

YUL-NRT direct, with a technical stop in Casaclaus.

yyznomad Sep 22, 2015 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 25460623)
YUL-NRT direct, with a technical stop in Casaclaus.

Aside from the technical stop shenanigans and all joking aside... is there even a market for YUL NRT?! I can't even think of one... industry? What would that be? Surely it's not a leisure route...

Adam Smith Sep 22, 2015 10:42 pm

This is not a pretty thought. Replacing 319s where they currently go, fine.

But I don't want to sit on a 737 for six hours on BOG-YYZ or YYC-OGG. Too long a flight to have a domestic J product.

j_the_p Sep 23, 2015 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by pitz (Post 25460292)
YYZ-ANC

Were you serious about that route? Is there a market for it? I'd like to see AC connect Ontario to YZF non-stop before ANC.

anotheran2 Sep 23, 2015 1:34 pm

more sunshine rouge destinations

pitz Sep 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by j_the_p (Post 25468403)
Were you serious about that route? Is there a market for it? I'd like to see AC connect Ontario to YZF non-stop before ANC.

Weekends in addition to the YVR-ANC dailies in the summer, sure. If oil ever fires up again in Alberta, YEG/YYC-YYT is another one that might be tried I figure (again, not really possible going westbound in the 319 much of the time!).

But yeah the number of aircraft ordered doesn't seem to indicate much room for major expansion. So a few opportunistic narrow-body long-hauls, but probably not much else. Biggest 'change' will be fewer tech stops in those winter months where the jetstream is particularly nasty.

echino Sep 23, 2015 3:38 pm

"Some" airlines have 3-class cabin with proper F on their 737s, while AC is going with domestic recliners?

http://thedesignair.net/2013/10/30/t...lar-737-cabin/

Jasper2009 Sep 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by echino (Post 25469019)
"Some" airlines have 3-class cabin with proper F on their 737s, while AC is going with domestic recliners?

http://thedesignair.net/2013/10/30/t...lar-737-cabin/

"Proper F" is a relative term when their F is more comparable with the less impressive int'l J products.

IMO the best hard product offered on any narrow-body is available on AA's 3-cabin 321s.

I could see AC putting recliner-style J seats (similar to the int'l J seats >10 years ago) into the 737s, possibly even lie-flat seats in config, but I doubt they'll install the int'l J pods.

The Lev Sep 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith (Post 25465483)
But I don't want to sit on a 737 for six hours on BOG-YYZ or YYC-OGG. Too long a flight to have a domestic J product.

for places like Hawaii it will almost certainly be either 737MAX or 767 Rouge.

How is Rouge Premium Economy on the 767 better than Domestic J?

(AC also flies rouge to LIM and I'm not convinced there is more premium traffic to BOG than LIM.)