Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC long haul economy meals have improved slightly (though more room to improve)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

Wanted to put out a comparison... I feel that that the AC meal has improved slightly since I last flew AC in long haul economy

YYZ-FRA in 2012

YYC-LHR in 2015

The AC branded bottled water is a welcome addition.

But... not as good as South African Airways economy, which adds on an additional cheese and crackers course and real greek salad

Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Looks good! I had no idea Y was so bad back in the day
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
mmmmm..AC "banana bread"....
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:59 pm

I don't really see much improvement... can someone point it out?

I prefer that couscous thing to the potatoes with chicken in too much white sauce. And the dessert seems to rotate... I think I recall getting that mousse thing relatively recently. It looks very very familiar anyway.

Last edited by winnipegrev; Sep 21, 2015 at 7:29 pm
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by winnipegrev

I prefer that couscous thing to the potatoes with chicken in too much white sauce. And the desert seems to rotate... I think I recall getting that mousse thing relatively recently. It looks very very familiar anyway.
Presentation, IMO, looks better. Plus, my opinion by looking at the relative photos is that the entree is of higher quality than one of years' past. The entree looks tastier, as well as the rabbit food.

Then again, I did not taste either of those meals so perhaps the OP can share his opinion!

Originally Posted by rankourabu
mmmmm..AC "banana bread"....
I guess I'll never understand posts like these. I remember reading that you dislike it...so either pay up and pay for J/PE...or..... This, to me, is the equivalent of saying "mommy, I want J for $500". It's not happening. (unless it's a mistake fare )
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC SE

I prefer that couscous thing to the potatoes with chicken in too much white sauce. And the desert seems to rotate... I think I recall getting that mousse thing relatively recently. It looks very very familiar anyway.
Agreed - many of the differences seem to be personal preference (potatoes vs. couscous, red sauce vs. white sauce, brownie vs. mousse). Only notable difference is the water bottle, but I think that's been around for a while. The chicken (?) portion of the new meal may look marginally bigger, but overall doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

Even UA has recently stepped up their international economy service with a multi-course meal, so AC seems be a laggard in this area even compared to UA.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

I prefer that couscous thing to the potatoes with chicken in too much white sauce. And the dessert seems to rotate... I think I recall getting that mousse thing relatively recently. It looks very very familiar anyway.
It tasted better and looks better. Bread did not come in a plastic bag.

But SAA K.O.s Air Canada out of the ring.

Like I said more room for improvement
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

I guess I'll never understand posts like these. I remember reading that you dislike it...so either pay up and pay for J/PE...or..... This, to me, is the equivalent of saying "mommy, I want J for $500". It's not happening. (unless it's a mistake fare )
It's true - you won't. Here's why:

1. Unless PE catering no longer uses the same second meal as Y (wasn't that the policy?), you're still going to end up with the banana bread.

2. It's not a case of 'mommy, I want J for $500'. More like - 'mommy, I want something similar to what other carriers provide in Y at similar or lower prices'.

The banana bread is a synthetic masterpiece, albeit the nutritional equivalent of cardboard.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: SE 100K
I'd agree. The food has definitely improved.

"Breakfast" leaves a lot to be desired, but to be honest I prefer the Banana bread + yogurt to some half assed attempt at an "omelet". At least you know what you're getting haha.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:48 am

Having not flown AC for a long-haul since about 2012 I noticed the food was slightly better presented on both my AMS flights this month but still meh. Out of YYZ I opted for the pasta which had taste but was overcooked (the noodles were mushy once they hit my fork). The salad was awful (tasteless dressing and very earthy tasting vegetable pieces). Had I not eaten in the PP lounge I'd have been disappointed. Ex-AMS, the salmon with leek sauce, orzo, and tomato compote-y stuff was excellent. The fish had the proper firm texture and was tasty. Coming from a guy who doesn't normally liked cooked salmon, that's a HUGE compliment. Unfortunately several small bottles of water I tried had a nasty stale taste/smell to them.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
"Pay for J" is not a legitimate response to any and every comment on the Y class product. Suggesting a product that costs $3000 more is not even a semi serious response to a discussion about a meal that costs $1 or $2 more. Is there anything you feel should be part of Y class service beyond not crashing the plane?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by eigenvector
"Pay for J" is not a legitimate response to any and every comment on the Y class product. Suggesting a product that costs $3000 more is not even a semi serious response to a discussion about a meal that costs $1 or $2 more. Is there anything you feel should be part of Y class service beyond not crashing the plane?
In the AC apologist's view, Y simply does not exist. And if it does, there's something wrong with the customer.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I dont expect you to understand, you only fly AC. You wouldnt know that longhaul Y meals can actually be edible.

Furthermore, some airlines Y meals are better than AC J meals.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:56 pm
Suspended

I dont expect you to understand, you only fly AC. You wouldnt know that longhaul Y meals can:actually be edible.

Good that you know. I'm happy for you.

Now that you know that critical piece of information as you have clearly traveled on every airline on the planet, perhaps don't fly AC then because of their horrible meals?

Continuing to pay AC to fly you to places and expecting a different result....you know what they call that right?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Quote: I dont expect you to understand, you only fly AC. You wouldnt know that longhaul Y meals can actually be edible.

I for one would like to know which airlines. I have never experienced a Y meal on any airline that was particularly good. Some of ACs J meals are ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.