FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: [FARE GONE] AC Website Glitch - sub $300 from North America to Europe and beyond (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1710953-fare-gone-ac-website-glitch-sub-300-north-america-europe-beyond.html)

Neil791 Sep 18, 2015 2:24 pm

[FARE GONE] AC Website Glitch - sub $300 from North America to Europe and beyond

I've not seen this mentioned here in the AC forum; however there is a thread already in the MR Deals forum.

Given that the flights are on AC, the error was only bookable on AC.com and the potential for yet another chance to discuss the general ineptitude of AC and their IT/booking systems has arrived.....

So did anyone manage to take advantage of this and if so, what are your thoughts/opinions on the fares being honored?!?

canadiancow Sep 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Given that the fares were non-zero, and I think they all (?) had a US origin, I think they'll all be honoured.

Looking only at the BOS-CDG fare, my guess would be they dropped a 0. Using the same dates as http://www.theflightdeal.com/2015/09...ing-all-taxes/, the cheapest fare right now is an S fare at $986.

The K fare in the link above was $86. $860 might be a reasonable K fare.

eigenvector Sep 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 25446055)
Given that the fares were non-zero, and I think they all (?) had a US origin, I think they'll all be honoured.

Looking only at the BOS-CDG fare, my guess would be they dropped a 0. Using the same dates as http://www.theflightdeal.com/2015/09...ing-all-taxes/, the cheapest fare right now is an S fare at $986.

The K fare in the link above was $86. $860 might be a reasonable K fare.

It was almost everywhere to everywhere for a while, as long as there was a TATL leg. YVR-YYZ-CDG for $250, etc. The ex-Canada tickets will almost certainly be cancelled.

canadiancow Sep 18, 2015 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 25446068)
It was almost everywhere to everywhere for a while, as long as there was a TATL leg. YVR-YYZ-CDG for $250, etc. The ex-Canada tickets will almost certainly be cancelled.

Ah I didn't realize that.

Bonaventure Sep 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 25446068)

Agreed. Ex-USA will be very interesting to follow given the DOT revision. There's quite a few ex-USAs that have been cancelled that have yet to move to class action status nor have been ruled on by DOT.

drvannostren Sep 18, 2015 2:53 pm

You can bet they're working on this right now to see how many were booked, how many they can cancel with no pushback, if they should offer a discounted upsell, and if they should just honor them all to be "nice guys" if there aren't too many.

Neil791 Sep 18, 2015 3:04 pm

based on the ones I managed to book (YYZ-CDG) in comparison to the same ones on the same dates it seems the wonderful 'carrier surcharge' was left off which in my case saved me approx $900 for 2 tix :D

of course when you add that up over what i'm sure were several hundred tickets on both sides of the border and its going to equal a whole lot of lost revenue. not to mention this seems to be an AC-only issue which means they're taking all of the burden...

watch this space as they say

CrownRoyalForever Sep 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Neil791 (Post 25445971)
I've not seen this mentioned here in the AC forum; however there is a thread already in the MR Deals forum.

Based on past outcomes, it's not safe to post AC/AP mistake fares in this forum because they actively monitor it. I'm not saying they don't monitor other social media or forums but posting them here will definitely kill the deal.

Too bad, because it's probably the best way to reach folks who could take full advantage!

Cheers

Neil791 Sep 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever (Post 25446207)
Based on past outcomes, it's not safe to post AC/AP mistake fares in this forum because they actively monitor it. I'm not saying they don't monitor other social media or forums but posting them here will definitely kill the deal.

Too bad, because it's probably the best way to reach folks who could take full advantage!

Cheers

The deal has been dead (website correction) for well over an hour and I can guarantee that the sudden influx of extremely cheap flights being booked in a short window of time raised more alarms than a post on FT

rankourabu Sep 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 25446055)

It was a systemwide glitch of not-applying YQ. It worked to/from MEast, Europe, South America, Africa, etc, ex-anywhere to anywhere It did not have to be AC metal. Only Asia seemed not to work.

It worked on Y,PY and J.

It was a significant savings in J - almost $1000 in some cases.
In Y - it was about $450 to Europe.

Only got 2 tickets, had to hurry once the glitch reached the blogs and then FT.
I wont say no to CAD290 tickets to Paris, even if it means suffering AC 787 on the way :D:D

I dont understand how this can be claimed as a mistake/error fare by AC. Its not like they changed the base fares after a 'fix'

There have been several mistakes by AC in the past couple years, and they went either unnoticed or honoured.

Neil791 Sep 18, 2015 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 25446241)
It was a systemwide glitch of not-applying YQ. It worked to/from MEast, Europe, South America, Africa, etc, ex-anywhere to anywhere It did not have to be AC metal. Only Asia seemed not to work.

It worked on Y,PY and J.

It was a significant savings in J - almost $1000 in some cases.
In Y - it was about $450 to Europe.

Only got 2 tickets, had to hurry once the glitch reached the blogs and then FT.
I wont say no to CAD290 tickets to Paris, even if it means suffering AC 787 on the way :D:D

I dont understand how this can be claimed as a mistake/error fare by AC. Its not like they changed the base fares after a 'fix'

There have been several mistakes by AC in the past couple years, and they went either unnoticed or honoured.

but this one has been brought up directly both on Twitter and to ticketing agents so i'm sure the bean counters are now tallying the damage...

rankourabu Sep 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Neil791 (Post 25446305)
but this one has been brought up directly both on Twitter and to ticketing agents so i'm sure the bean counters are now tallying the damage...

Still dont really know how they can claim it was a mistake/error.

Incompetent IT - sure. Fare Error.. I dont think so

Neil791 Sep 18, 2015 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 25446318)
Still dont really know how they can claim it was a mistake/error.

Incompetent IT - sure. Fare Error.. I dont think so

well the incompetent part surely goes without saying :D

and i've just seen an apparent reply from AC on Twitter saying they're going to honour the fares!!

cant complain about the sub $300CAD fares to CDG ^ even if its on the 787

yyzcdg Sep 18, 2015 4:04 pm

According to twitter. They are honouring the mistake fare.

jerryhung Sep 18, 2015 6:49 pm

I'm happy to grab the deal before it died so quickly. YYZ-CDG $286/person!!

a bit concerned as AC shareholder, hopefully the loss isn't too bad :P