Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Great Handling of a Cancelled Flight (Whitehorse - Vancouver)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

I just thought I would post this because I had never heard of it happening.

Yesterday my parents were scheduled to fly from Whitehorse to Vancouver on AC290. When the flight from Vancouver arrived with a problem they cancelled the flight.

To fix the problem they chartered Air North to do the flight and my folks were only about 3 hours late.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by ken98230
I just thought I would post this because I had never heard of it happening.

Yesterday my parents were scheduled to fly from Whitehorse to Vancouver on AC290. When the flight from Vancouver arrived with a problem they cancelled the flight.

To fix the problem they chartered Air North to do the flight and my folks were only about 3 hours late.
This is excellent news! Good to hear, this is one of the things I rally like and admire about the north - everyone pitches in to help each other out. ^

I suspect it was probably the station manager at YXY who proposed the solution and AC corporate okay'd it.

YXY is one of my favorite small stations to deal with and pass though.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:40 am

I would only observe that AC customer service is at such a low that apparently taking responsibility for their own mechanical problem is an exceptional response.

Cheers
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
I would only observe that AC customer service is at such a low that apparently taking responsibility for their own mechanical problem is an exceptional response.
To take responsibility would have been to give hotel rooms to everyone involved and get them to YVR and beyond the next day.

To charter another company's aircraft goes well above and beyond taking responsibility.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:51 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
A pleasant surprise, ^ to AC.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by zorn
To take responsibility would have been to give hotel rooms to everyone involved and get them to YVR and beyond the next day.

To charter another company's aircraft goes well above and beyond taking responsibility.
Good Show ^^
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by zorn

I thought airlines rather regularly buy tickets on other carriers in the case of MX? If it was WX instead, I'd applaud them too, but this seems to have been an avoidable occurrence.

Cheers
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Would you get AQM/AQS in this circumstance?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marke190
If not automatic, you could submit for original routing credit, and you would receive it.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
I thought airlines rather regularly buy tickets on other carriers in the case of MX? If it was WX instead, I'd applaud them too, but this seems to have been an avoidable occurrence.

Cheers
OP seems to be saying AC chartered a plane from another carrier, rather than just buying its disrupted pax tickets on an already scheduled flight.

If not automatic, you could submit for original routing credit, and you would receive it.
Disagree, AE has no actual policy of granting ORC, yes they do it sometimes, but it can also be denied for any reason. I've had it go both ways in the past.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by marke190
In the simplest sense, yes. In theory it should be like any other Air Canada Express flight....operated by.....
However AC will show AC290 as being cancelled so it may be like pulling teeth to get the miles.

Over the years 4N on several occasions have upguaged equipment to accommodate AC flights breaking down. Especially in the winter when the E90 gets cold soaked and has trouble starting around -40.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Disagree, AE has no actual policy of granting ORC, yes they do it sometimes, but it can also be denied for any reason. I've had it go both ways in the past.
I've been quoted a policy of granting ORC when (and only when) you are rerouted to non Star Alliance during IRROPS, and I have not had any issue being granted AQM when that has happened.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've been quoted a policy of granting ORC when (and only when) you are rerouted to non Star Alliance during IRROPS, and I have not had any issue being granted AQM when that has happened.
Requested ORC for a UA mechanical rebooked on Alaska and after 3 months got a form letter saying "that UA flight was cancelled, therefore it cannot be credited". Attached original ticket & BP as well as new ticket as I've done in the past. YMMV, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.