Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

US-Canada flight consuming own non-duty free wine onboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus

This happened a couple of days ago; it was a 375ml bottle of white wine from a shop air-side, not from a duty-free shop, and i had it with my own meal. The FA walked by and said it wasn't allowed. I knew you're not supposed to consume duty-free alcohol on board, but was I doing something against some rule too? She said something like "no airline would let you drink your own alcohol", which sounded a bit like grand-standing, or a way of forcing you to buy booze onboard. Can we expect to be barred from consuming our own food on board soon too?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Capricorn70
This happened a couple of days ago; it was a 375ml bottle of white wine from a shop air-side, not from a duty-free shop, and i had it with my own meal. The FA walked by and said it wasn't allowed. I knew you're not supposed to consume duty-free alcohol on board, but was I doing something against some rule too? She said something like "no airline would let you drink your own alcohol", which sounded a bit like grand-standing, or a way of forcing you to buy booze onboard. Can we expect to be barred from consuming our own food on board soon too?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
This is against the Aeronautics Act. You could have been charged and convicted under the criminal code. Don't do it. You got off lucky. I've seen MUCH worse and thus have NEVER attempted to do this onboard an airplane.

<Consuming your own alcoholic beverages> as you can see below via the link provided is illegal onboard an aircraft.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...tips3-1366.htm

You could have been thrown in jail and AC could have sent you an angry letter barring you from ever flying them again. (AC corporate security).
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This is against the Aeronautics Act. You could have been charged and convicted under the criminal code. Don't do it. You got off lucky. I've seen MUCH worse and thus have NEVER attempted to do this onboard an airplane.

<Consuming your own alcoholic beverages> as you can see below via the link provided is illegal onboard an aircraft.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...tips3-1366.htm

You could have been thrown in jail and AC could have sent you an angry letter barring you from ever flying them again. (AC corporate security).
Thanks! I'll put it in an apple juice bottle next time ( at that particular rule)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Capricorn70
Thanks! I'll put it in an apple juice bottle next time ( at that particular rule)
It's not a secret that I do enjoy drinking on airplanes. But a is not warranted IMHO.

Alcohol makes some people happy, some sad, some angry etc. Allowing pax to indulge as they see fit is potentially dangerous onboard. IMHO, this isn't a cash grab, but a safety issue.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
AC could have sent you an angry letter barring you from ever flying them again. (AC corporate security).
You seem to very knowledgeable on this subject based on previous posts. Have you had first hand experience?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kwflyer
You seem to very knowledgeable on this subject based on previous posts. Have you had first hand experience?
I learnt a lot about this from another FTer. Although I haven't heard from this individual in a while, so I wonder what happened. Actually come to think of it, I haven't seen that person post in a while
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of the mid east carriers that are otherwise dry allow passengers to bring their own alcohol, at least in premium cabins. In at least some cases, FAs serve it to the passenger. So the FA's assertion that on airline allows you to bring your own alcohol is wrong, although it is true that this is the rule on USA carriers and most European and Asian airlines.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: Presto
I learnt a lot about this from another FTer. Although I haven't heard from this individual in a while, so I wonder what happened. Actually come to think of it, I haven't seen that person post in a while
Was that Herbert D. Langley?

http://tinyurl.com/neuuvgy
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:46 am

In order to increase ancillary revenue, airlines could charge a corkage fee!
I saw a pax kicked off an AA flight for consuming his own duty free....prior to the cabin door being closed.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tracon
In order to increase ancillary revenue, airlines could charge a corkage fee!
I saw a pax kicked off an AA flight for consuming his own duty free....prior to the cabin door being closed.
But seriously, while you are not supposed to drink your own stuff, it's OK to ask the FA to serve you your own stuff. They may or may not agree. Probably easier if in J.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
Just a quick FYI:

In the United States, this IS legal. You may bring your own on board and consume it.

However, and this is a big however... you MUST notify the flight attendant you brought alcohol on board and they must/will serve it to you themselves. You can't pour it yourself.

Not kidding. Not many people know this.

The reason being that the flight attendants are mandated to monitor the consumption of each person so as not to have an intoxicated passenger. They can't have people downing a fifth of Vodka without their knowledge.

But you're certainly able to bring it on board and have it served to you, on a U.S. carrier, in the United States.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MPScan
Just a quick FYI:

In the United States, this IS legal. You may bring your own on board and consume it.

However, and this is a big however... you MUST notify the flight attendant you brought alcohol on board and they must/will serve it to you themselves. You can't pour it yourself.

Not kidding. Not many people know this.

The reason being that the flight attendants are mandated to monitor the consumption of each person so as not to have an intoxicated passenger. They can't have people downing a fifth of Vodka without their knowledge.

But you're certainly able to bring it on board and have it served to you, on a U.S. carrier, in the United States.
But this is a US to Canada flight - so the pax is subject to the Aeronautics act. No?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:19 pm

But this is a US to Canada flight - so the pax is subject to the Aeronautics act. No?
Pretty sure the laws are similar on both sides of the border. Alcohol can be consumed, but must be served by the operator, and "intoxication" is not allowed.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r....html#s-602.04

Code:
602.04 (1) In this section, “intoxicating liquor” means a beverage that contains more than 2.5 per cent proof spirits.

(2) No person shall consume on board an aircraft an intoxicating liquor unless the intoxicating liquor

(a) has been served to that person by the operator of the aircraft; or

(b) where no flight attendant is on board, has been provided by the operator of the aircraft.

(3) No operator of an aircraft shall provide or serve any intoxicating liquor to a person on board the aircraft, where there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person’s faculties are impaired by alcohol or a drug to an extent that may present a hazard to the aircraft or to persons on board the aircraft.

(4) Subject to subsection (5), no operator of an aircraft shall allow a person to board the aircraft, where there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person’s faculties are impaired by alcohol or a drug to an extent that may present a hazard to the aircraft or to persons on board the aircraft.

(5) The operator of an aircraft may allow a person whose faculties are impaired by a drug to board an aircraft, where the drug was administered in accordance with a medical authorization and the person is under the supervision of an attendant.
So basically, "bring your own" is perfectly legal in Canada, but it must be 'served' by the flight attendant. Who, as a matter of the airlines' policy manual, probably will refuse such, in favour of serving the airline's own product in the usual fashion.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pitz
Pretty sure the laws are similar on both sides of the border. Alcohol can be consumed, but must be served by the operator, and "intoxication" is not allowed.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r....html#s-602.04

Code:
602.04 (1) In this section, “intoxicating liquor” means a beverage that contains more than 2.5 per cent proof spirits.

(2) No person shall consume on board an aircraft an intoxicating liquor unless the intoxicating liquor

(a) has been served to that person by the operator of the aircraft; or

(b) where no flight attendant is on board, has been provided by the operator of the aircraft.

(3) No operator of an aircraft shall provide or serve any intoxicating liquor to a person on board the aircraft, where there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person’s faculties are impaired by alcohol or a drug to an extent that may present a hazard to the aircraft or to persons on board the aircraft.

(4) Subject to subsection (5), no operator of an aircraft shall allow a person to board the aircraft, where there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person’s faculties are impaired by alcohol or a drug to an extent that may present a hazard to the aircraft or to persons on board the aircraft.

(5) The operator of an aircraft may allow a person whose faculties are impaired by a drug to board an aircraft, where the drug was administered in accordance with a medical authorization and the person is under the supervision of an attendant.
So basically, "bring your own" is perfectly legal in Canada, but it must be 'served' by the flight attendant. Who, as a matter of the airlines' policy manual, probably will refuse such, in favour of serving the airline's own product in the usual fashion.
Whoa. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I suspect you're right though. SOP is to deny pax the ability to consume their own liquor. <my guess>
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by pitz
.....So basically, "bring your own" is perfectly legal in Canada, but it must be 'served' by the flight attendant. Who, as a matter of the airlines' policy manual, probably will refuse such, in favour of serving the airline's own product in the usual fashion.

I kind of like this one - from the link you included

Dropping of Objects

602.23 No person shall create a hazard to persons or property on the surface by dropping an object from an aircraft in flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.