Robert Milton, Canada's best CEO

Old Nov 29, 02, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Robert Milton, Canada's best CEO

Now that I've ruined your day....

That's what appears on the cover of this morning's REPORT ON BUSINESS MAGAZINE, included in the GLOBE & MAIL today. Eric Reguly posits that by taking the radical restructuring decisions Milton has devised, AC is being led by the most audacious and possibly best CEO in the airline business, and in the country. Most "best CEOs" tend to get chosen from the ranks of companies that are beset by few problems, and thus are chosen based on the wrong criteria. Reguly says we may not agree with the direction Milton and his crew are flying AC, but he is doing what few CEOs dare to do in remaking the entire company in a huge gamble that appears to be working out.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2EA126A1

This assessment is bound to raise the ire of many here.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 11-29-2002).]
Old Nov 29, 02, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shareholder: put your flak jacket on...
Old Nov 29, 02, 10:51 am

I can tell you the employees didn't vote for
him.
Old Nov 29, 02, 11:30 am

I did.
Old Nov 30, 02, 6:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ace Cdn:
I can tell you the employees didn't vote for
him.
</font>
Speak for yourself, please. I would have. I suppose you would prefer to work for another airline? One that is losing half a billion US per quarter? Take your pick, there are plenty to choose from.

Old Nov 30, 02, 8:25 pm

Your link discusses Quebecor only.

Sounds like a silly piece though.

1D
Old Nov 30, 02, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read the article this am. Here is the link.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V24B31D92
Old Nov 30, 02, 9:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airbus320:
I read the article this am. Here is the link.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V24B31D92
</font>

Thanks for the link. The author is entitled to an opinion.

I await Shareholder to post excuses.

1D

Old Dec 1, 02, 12:24 pm

Seems to me this is the same magazine that labelled John Roth the CEO of the Year a couple of years back.
Old Dec 1, 02, 12:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Secret Agent:
Speak for yourself, please. I would have. I suppose you would prefer to work for another airline? One that is losing half a billion US per quarter? Take your pick, there are plenty to choose from.

</font>
my point being his employee relations skills really need improving
Old Dec 1, 02, 12:48 pm
At Large

ACe, as a very frequent customer of AC I would suggest that some employees need a tune up of their people skills.Maybe Milton has got it right and is trying to run the company instead of letting the unions have it all their way.
Old Dec 1, 02, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
What excuses? As for Roth's appearance, I believe just about every business mag at one time called him a genius. The point is, it takes little to run a company is booming times. It is when things go bad that real managers and CEOs come to the fro. Like him or not, or what he has done to AC, as Reguly says, he is the only airline CEO who did not bury his head in the sand long before 9.11 came along.
Old Dec 1, 02, 1:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by parnel:
ACe, as a very frequent customer of AC I would suggest that some employees need a tune up of their people skills.Maybe Milton has got it right and is trying to run the company instead of letting the unions have it all their way. </font>
I am not talking about the unions running the company I am just talking about how he deals with employees generally and I will agree with you that some employees people skills do need improvment
Old Dec 1, 02, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

True, Milton's people skills are far from the best. But not as bad a slasher Dunlop, or as others would make out! One AC staffer at a sun destination told a bunch of us one evening over dinner here in Toronto, that after experiencing first hand the general chaos resulting from understaffing at one of their stations, Milton contacted the manager in charge, authorized more part time personnel, and sent a personal note to the staff he had met during the occasion to thank them for doing more than the should have had to under the circumstances. [BTW, he and his family flew home to Montreal in the back, according to our source.]
Old Dec 1, 02, 5:13 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Obviously no actual shareholders voted for this award! Mr. Milton has been focussed on running a profitable business but the stock is still further south than its southern most destination. Still such an award is pre-mature. The jurys (ie the investors and customers) are still out.

While I am no fan of his, I do give him credit for running a fairly successful monopoly and for the innovation introduction of the no frills carrier, Tango, something few others have successfully achieved. I also give full marks for improvements to International J service, no matter how long overdue.

My sense is that the airline is in a significant turnaround and this award is intended to recognize that. But the next few quarters will tell just how successful he has been.

And if he flew back from Florida in the back of the bus, I take my hat off to him for that gesture!

It may be a good investment now as long as there is not another terrorist attack in which case you can kiss some airlines good bye.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: