FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Upgrading Award Ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1701439-upgrading-award-ticket.html)

BEAV Aug 10, 2015 6:51 am

Upgrading Award Ticket

I'm currently booked in J on United on an Aeroplan award. F award space is now available. Is there a penalty or change fee involved to upgrade to F?

Thanks.....

ChrisA330 Aug 10, 2015 6:59 am

If you originally paid for an F award, but booked in J, there is no fee.

If you paid for J, and now you want to change to a F award, there is a fee...$90+tax.

BEAV Aug 10, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks for the quick reply. ;)

Adam Smith Aug 10, 2015 8:08 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 25247517)
If you paid for J, and now you want to change to a F award, there is a fee...$90+tax.

And, of course, the additional miles for the difference from J to F.

BEAV Aug 11, 2015 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 25247517)
If you originally paid for an F award, but booked in J, there is no fee.

Yes, I paid for J as F wasn't available when I booked. Yesterday F was available, but now gone.

If I waitlist for F, and it clears, do I still pay the $90 fee?

ChrisA330 Aug 11, 2015 6:56 am

Aeroplan doesn't allow waitlisting.

BEAV Aug 11, 2015 7:07 am

Good to know, thank you.

mikeycanuk Aug 11, 2015 7:42 am

Originally Posted by BEAV (Post 25247534)
Thanks for the quick reply. ;)

UA F, not worth the extra points and fee. I kept hoping our LAX-SYD UA flight would open up F ( we're in J). Given the cranky FA's and the look of the F cabin I'm glad they didn't open up as it would have been a waste

mtp1980_fly Aug 11, 2015 11:47 am

I'm currently booked in economy (x) YYZ to CPH on Aug 30, and then coming back ZUR to YYZ in economy (x) on Sep 13th. I understand that If I see availability on Aeroplan booking site for Biz or First, I can call and upgrade for $90 plus point differential. Will I have to do that seperately for if I only see avail in one direction? Would I have to pay the $90 again if I see the second leg open up after and another chunk of points?

canadiancow Aug 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk (Post 25253617)
UA F, not worth the extra points and fee. I kept hoping our LAX-SYD UA flight would open up F ( we're in J). Given the cranky FA's and the look of the F cabin I'm glad they didn't open up as it would have been a waste

UA J sucks enough to make me want to pay it :p

Originally Posted by mtp1980_fly (Post 25254963)
I'm currently booked in economy (x) YYZ to CPH on Aug 30, and then coming back ZUR to YYZ in economy (x) on Sep 13th. I understand that If I see availability on Aeroplan booking site for Biz or First, I can call and upgrade for $90 plus point differential. Will I have to do that seperately for if I only see avail in one direction? Would I have to pay the $90 again if I see the second leg open up after and another chunk of points?

If you booked two one ways, you do it separately and pay twice. If you booked a round trip, you pay once, but you pay 90k miles even if you only get J one way.

Note that if you pay for J, you can also sit in PY if it's available, and request an upgrade at the airport into either cabin.

mikeycanuk Aug 11, 2015 1:39 pm

UA J was pretty good, plus we got back huge YQ fees when I cancelled my AC metal ticket for the UA redemption.

superangrypenguin Aug 11, 2015 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk (Post 25255600)
UA J was pretty good, plus we got back huge YQ fees when I cancelled my AC metal ticket for the UA redemption.

Ehhh? UA J was decent? I'd rather chew on glass...

canadiancow Aug 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 25255723)
Ehhh? UA J was decent? I'd rather chew on glass...

Okay UA J is not that bad.

Aside from it being 8 across on the 777, the service is what I'd expect for a North American airline.

The bigger issue is that F is just J with a bigger seat, and soup.

hearna Aug 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 25255809)
Okay UA J is not that bad.

Aside from it being 8 across on the 777, the service is what I'd expect for a North American airline.

The bigger issue is that F is just J with a bigger seat, and soup.

And I thought 2x3x2 on TK J was too much...

In traditional coach 2x4x2 is only 1 seat less then Y... so it must not be very great in terms of comfort and privacy.

mikeycanuk Aug 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Privacy, hell no. But we slept for 10 hours and the lady with the washroom phobia who wouldn't take the isle (she was stuck between wife and son) slept even longer.

As to why they serve a full dinner at 1am PST??? We were out cold but I do remember the cranky FA trying to wake my wife up for dinner even though we told the nice FA that we were going to sleep and would eat later!! Had the same FA on the way back too! She seemed nicer, but we didn't get our x2 seats by the window even though I selected them. But we were on time, my wife came back on AC34 which was 4hrs late.