Canadian Celebrity Sightings

Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Lili Reihart in the YVR TB MLL.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Hmm, somehow I'd missed that we have this thread.

Several months ago I sat behind Colin Mochrie as we flew YYC-YYZ. I couldn't help telling him that I was a huge fan, and what a great show Whose Line is.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by kenlor
He's not an MP yet. Still just a regular peep. So no big expense account yet.
To clarify; He has an expense account: It is covered by his political party. Although he forgoes the approximate $167,000 MP base salary, the party leader is paid a bonus of approx. $225,000 by the taxpayers of Canada. The NDP has not disclosed whether it is currently turned over to party general coffers to be disbursed to Mr. Singh or is given to acting house leader Mr. Caron. More specifically, all of the political parties have access to discounted airfares, so you can rest assured that Mr. Singh is not paying full fare.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
To clarify; He has an expense account: It is covered by his political party. Although he forgoes the approximate $167,000 MP base salary, the party leader is paid a bonus of approx. $225,000 by the taxpayers of Canada. The NDP has not disclosed whether it is currently turned over to party general coffers to be disbursed to Mr. Singh or is given to acting house leader Mr. Caron. More specifically, all of the political parties have access to discounted airfares, so you can rest assured that Mr. Singh is not paying full fare.
I can't imagine the GoC paying the party leader rate until that person is actually an MP. Its an _additional_ benefit. Until he is elected there is no relationship with the Government at all.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:46 pm

GSP !!!! YUL -> YYZ, AC421 on 11/16. Awesome guy, got a picture with him
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by fafafayfay
GSP !!!! YUL -> YYZ, AC421 on 11/16. Awesome guy, got a picture with him
GSP? George Silas Proctor? Gerry Stiller Pow? Gertrude Stein's Partner? Sorry for being dense. Many times I don't know who the celebrities are that are mentioned in this thread, but using initials means that I have absolutely no clue.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smallmj
GSP? George Silas Proctor? Gerry Stiller Pow? Gertrude Stein's Partner? Sorry for being dense. Many times I don't know who the celebrities are that are mentioned in this thread, but using initials means that I have absolutely no clue.
To be fair, if you Google "GSP", the first result is the correct one.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
To be fair, if you Google "GSP", the first result is the correct one.
Even so, never heard of the guy...
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by canopus27
Hmm, somehow I'd missed that we have this thread.

Several months ago I sat behind Colin Mochrie as we flew YYC-YYZ. I couldn't help telling him that I was a huge fan, and what a great show Whose Line is.
In everything I have read in this entire thread, this is the only one where I am sad where I wasn't there.
Marlin240 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Lili Reihart in the YVR TB MLL.
I googled her and I still don't know who she is.

(other than she was born in Cleveland and is an American TV actress)
smallmj likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
my bad George st Pierre!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I googled her and I still don't know who she is.

(other than she was born in Cleveland and is an American TV actress)
Her uncle knows the mayor of Pelican Narrows, sk.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I can't imagine the GoC paying the party leader rate until that person is actually an MP. Its an _additional_ benefit. Until he is elected there is no relationship with the Government at all.
The GoC doesn't decide this. It is governed by a set of rules previously approved by the House, i.e. a vote by MPs on the compensation. The money has not been declined. Therefore one can only conclude that if not declined, it is collected by the designated leader of the party in the House, Mr. Caron. He either retains the money or turns it over to his party for disbursement. This arrangement has not been made public. When is the last time a senior politician in Canada turned down income? The party also has access to discounted airfares on Air Canada and other airlines and the benefit of aeroplan miles where applicable. Also, to correct myself, the current base salary for an MP is $172,700. Cabinet ministers and leaders of political party in the House start at approx. $255,300.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Andrew Scheer. AC431 YOW-YYZ today, seated in J. Glad to be in a different row.

PS YOW is eerily quiet this morning, like the day before something big.
--
13F
kylejaymes likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Andrew Scheer. AC431 YOW-YYZ today, seated in J. Glad to be in a different row.

PS YOW is eerily quiet this morning, like the day before something big.
--
13F
Who?

:-)
Crampedin13A and kylejaymes like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.