Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Celebrity Sightings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by jc94
He's not a Canadian one.

Some people are famous for 5 minutes, some, like Leonard Cohen (RIP) would still qualify. I can't think of another alive example though that I'd rate even close to Sir Paul.
Mick Jagged is probably more recognised overall due to being know with the younger crowd. Partly thanks to that Maroon 5 Moves Like Jagged song.

Top Canadian celebrity among all age groups would be William shatner, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion, Ryan Reynolds, Justin Bieber, Keanu Reeves.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Mick Jagged is probably more recognised overall due to being know with the younger crowd. Partly thanks to that Maroon 5 Moves Like Jagged song.

Top Canadian celebrity among all age groups would be William shatner, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion, Ryan Reynolds, Justin Bieber, Keanu Reeves.
I disagree. I say Youppi! and Carlton the Bear belong in the list.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Lol.

Some of my friends at CBC tell me his nickname amongst the female staff is "Ian Handsome Man Thing"
That comes either from 22 Minutes or possibly Halifax's Frank Magazine from way back when he was but a reporter here in town.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
Well, I'm old enough to have bought their records in the 80's...and have still never heard of either of those gentlemen.

I'm quite confident that if you asked 100 random Canadians who Rick Emmett and Dave Dunlop are, 99 would give you the ten thousand yard stare.

To me, a celebrity is defined as someone whose name or likeness is known by the majority of the populace.
I expect most of the people you would consider to be celebrities then do not fly commercial. And certainly not on AC.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Mick Jagged is probably more recognised overall due to being know with the younger crowd.
The best way of gauging celebrity status is by how well the plebes spell the celebrity's name. Sorry Mick, you're out.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by laidback71
The best way of gauging celebrity status is by how well the plebes spell the celebrity's name. Sorry Mick, you're out.
that was autocorrect kicking in. I did catch Nick for Mick
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I expect most of the people you would consider to be celebrities then do not fly commercial. And certainly not on AC.
Incorrect. I've posted Canadian celebrities I've spotted, both on AC flights and MLL's in this thread previously over the yrs.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Wait, I'm so confused. Is this Canadian Celebrity Sightings thread supposed to track sightings of celebrities who are Canadian? Or sightings in Canada of celebrities? Or sightings of celebrities on Air Canada? Or just sightings of Canadian celebrities on Air Canada in Canada?

Given the permutations involved, might it be easier if we listed who we didn't see?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Wait, I'm so confused. Is this Canadian Celebrity Sightings thread supposed to track sightings of celebrities who are Canadian? Or sightings in Canada of celebrities? Or sightings of celebrities on Air Canada? Or just sightings of Canadian celebrities on Air Canada in Canada?

Given the permutations involved, might it be easier if we listed who we didn't see?
+1,000,000
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Why the confusion? For the umpteenth time as was last pointed out in post 2071 on the previous page this thread is for noting Canadian celebrities either flying on AC or seen in an MLL, not just Canadians who are celebrities spotted anywhere or celebs spotted in YYZ at the AA lounge, for example.

There have been a few occasions over the years when a super famous non-Canadian such as Paul McCartney is spotted travelling AC and then it's mentioned in these pages but except for those rare case it's famous Canadians travelling on AC or spotted in an MLL.

Also the term "celebrity" will vary from person-to-person so any attempt to limit what's subjective isn't likely to work.

tcook052
Ac forum Mod.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052

There have been a few occasions over the years when a super famous non-Canadian such as Paul McCartney is spotted travelling AC and then it's mentioned in these pages but except for those rare case it's famous Canadians travelling on AC or spotted in an MLL.
I think we understand this, but perhaps this where the confusion lies because there are some exceptions.

There are also other posts where there are super famous non-Canadians spotted not flying AC.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:40 pm

I think we understand this, but perhaps this where the confusion lies because there are some exceptions.

There are also other posts where there are super famous non-Canadians spotted not flying AC.
That may have happened in the past but not AFAIK lately after thread topic was underlined so there was some clarity. Let's please now return to the thread topic.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That may have happened in the past but not AFAIK lately after thread topic was underlined so there was some clarity. Let's please now return to the thread topic.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Sure. Just trying to have some conversation here.

Might be best to start a wiki outlining the updated rule with examples? Most people will just jump to this thread to post a "celebrity" sighting and might not be aware of the refined definition (which makes sense).
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:28 pm

Sure. Just trying to have some conversation here.

Might be best to start a wiki outlining the updated rule with examples? Most people will just jump to this thread to post a "celebrity" sighting and might not be aware of the refined definition (which makes sense).
Creating a wiki is a great ideal so thanks for volunteering.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Creating a wiki is a great ideal so thanks for volunteering.
LOL

I'll do it later this week then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.