Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Celebrity Sightings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
I was mistaken for Don Lindsay (CEO of Teck) by the concierge at the gate earlier this week in YUL.
Not sure whether to take it as a compliment or a slight (esp as I'm 20 years younger than him...).
Be thankful that you don't look like Gary Busey (on or off drugs).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
It's funny how Mr. Hadfield is a movie star level celebrity now, complete with fawning fans. He gave a talk at U of T when I was a student (pre-ISS days) and the room was around 1/2 full and entirely engineering and physics students. Back then I don't think anyone in Canada could have named a Canadian astronaut.
Roberta Bondar? That's still the first name that comes into my mind when I hear "Canadian astronaut".

I mean I guess it could be worse. Someone could say "William Shatner"
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Roberta Bondar? That's still the first name that comes into my mind when I hear "Canadian astronaut".

I mean I guess it could be worse. Someone could say "William Shatner"
Yeah, Roberta Bondar too.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by eigenvector
It's funny how Mr. Hadfield is a movie star level celebrity now, complete with fawning fans. He gave a talk at U of T when I was a student (pre-ISS days) and the room was around 1/2 full and entirely engineering and physics students. Back then I don't think anyone in Canada could have named a Canadian astronaut.

Chris Hadfield is extremely personable. Through his video posts from the ISS, he was able to give us all some interesting lesson and insight. Part of the reason some perceive him to be more famous than Marc Garneau or Roberta Bondar has to do with the technology available to allow him and others to have more frequent exposure to the masses on the ground.

Plus, this one video alone put him in the star category. You don't have to like it, but when it was released, it generated massive interest.

Good for him. Great for Canada.

Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Chris Hadfield is extremely personable. Through his video posts from the ISS, he was able to give us all some interesting lesson and insight. Part of the reason some perceive him to be more famous than Marc Garneau or Roberta Bondar has to do with the technology available to allow him and others to have more frequent exposure to the masses on the ground.

Plus, this one video alone put him in the star category. You don't have to like it, but when it was released, it generated massive interest.

This. Well put.

I kind of regret not asking for his autograph or having a selfie taken, but then I would just end up in the same category as that crazy fan who kept on bugging him and then showing off the pictures she had taken with him to other J pax.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left

Oh, I admire Mr. Hadfield very much. No one deserves fame more than a pleasant and talented man like himself who has always made himself available to the Canadian public to share his knowledge. I was just commenting on how he's been "around" as an astronaut for a very long time, but came to public notice only very recently.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe Darren Pang is sitting behind me right now on AC146 in row 3.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got off 872, cleared Schengen passport control and lined up to enter the FRA A gates Schengen LH Senator Lounge... tall dude was in front of me with tennis equipment and an AC BP... Vasek Pospisil.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Conrad Black -- in MLL in YYC yesterday afternoon (all by himself)

famous or infamous--you decide!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I believe Darren Pang is sitting behind me right now on AC146 in row 3.
"I believe..." I'm guessing you can't confirm, as only the top of his head is visible above the seat?

I imagine he looks like the Kilroy Was Here cartoon when you turn around.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
"I believe..." I'm guessing you can't confirm, as only the top of his head is visible above the seat?

I imagine he looks like the Kilroy Was Here cartoon when you turn around.
When I heard him speak, I knew it was definitely him. I also took another look upon deplaning. Definitely was him!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Conrad Black -- in MLL in YYC yesterday afternoon (all by himself)

famous or infamous--you decide!
Is he Canadian?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Is he Canadian?
Touché!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:26 pm

Is he Canadian?
Depends who you ask. According to Chretien - no
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: Diners, AP E50K, World Elite MC, Fairmont Presidents, Ritz Rewards Elite, .....
Commander Hadfield was seated in J beside us when we flew to Vienna (2 years ago), via Munich.

No one was bothering him at all. I rarely introduce myself to celebs when travelling but I just adore him and was not going to miss the opportunity. I just stopped and inquired if it was he and he was very gracious.

We spoke about my son who was interested in aerospace at the time for a moment and I let him be. No selfies (probably should have asked though), no fuss. I didn't see anyone else approach him during the flight.

Very gracious, class act he was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.