FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Canadian Celebrity Sightings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/16999-canadian-celebrity-sightings.html)

superangrypenguin Jan 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner (Post 24223428)
4 J seats YYC-YYZ about $14,000 for a 4 hour flight. Light jet with 4 seats about $2500/hour.

Depends on when you buy the J seat, and at what fare it is offered. If private aviation is cheaper, than all the power to them. But in general, YYC YYZ in J? Wow. Seems excessive.

PLeblond Jan 23, 2015 7:01 pm

4 J seats YYC-YYZ about $14,000 for a 4 hour flight. Light jet with 4 seats about $2500/hour.

And $2500 an hour only gets you a small jet.. Plus, correct me if IM wrong, but you usually have to pay the round trip for the jet and/or ground expenses....

jaysona Jan 23, 2015 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 23997801)
So who's flying in all those Gulfstreams, Challengers & Falcons?

Corporate types, commercial is too expensive in situations where time is money, and the time lost during travel is more expensive than the time on the ground.

My point is a lot of Celebrities are famous, but don't have any "real" money. So they pay J+ for VIP treatment.

If they were real VIP's they'd be flying private aviation.
Celebs typically fly in a private jet if A) their production/management company is footing the bill or B) they really feel like dropping $25k+ per flight hour.

I only know a couple of celebs and wealthy people (DJ's and Silly Valley start-up types) who typically fly F or J and rarely fly private unless someone else is pickup up the tab - even though they can easily afford it. They just have better use or their money I suppose.

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24220450)
Those who lease from places like Netjets, which I assume are considered commercial.

No, Netjets, Flexjet, etc are fractional owenership of private jets. Think property timeshare.

Fractional owners can rent or lease their unused time. There is a whole trading market for the exchange of fractional ownership flight hours.

jaysona Jan 23, 2015 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24223455)
Depends on when you buy the J seat, and at what fare it is offered. If private aviation is cheaper, than all the power to them. But in general, YYC YYZ in J? Wow. Seems excessive.

Depends on the type of work being done. I know of people who came into work at 8am with no indication of any travel, and by 11am they're on a jet going to Asia.

There are many cases where last minute travel comes up, and sending a team of 4 -6 last minute by private aviation is much cheaper than commercial. Also, in many cases private aviation gets people closer to where they need to be than commercial. Time is money and no one (well almost no one) is making money while they're in the air.

After Burner Jan 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24223482)
And $2500 an hour only gets you a small jet.. Plus, correct me if IM wrong, but you usually have to pay the round trip for the jet and/or ground expenses....

It varies. Sometimes it's included, sometimes you pay 50% of the hourly rate for positioning. My point is that there are situations in which the cost of private travel is in the same ballpark as the AC mass transit experience.

Also keep in mind the time saved. You drive your car right up to the airplane on the ramp. You're in your seat literally seconds after arriving at the airport. Same thing at the other end -- taxi right up to your car waiting on the ramp.

And the flight departs when you are ready to go. The schedule is yours, not the airline's.

There seems to be a common belief that private air travel is an extravagance. Having high value, talented employees spend their time being herded through the public transit system, waiting in lines, suffering delays, seems like wasteful squandering of resources.

superangrypenguin Jan 23, 2015 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner (Post 24223598)
It varies. Sometimes it's included, sometimes you pay 50% of the hourly rate for positioning. My point is that there are situations in which the cost of private travel is in the same ballpark as the AC mass transit experience.

Also keep in mind the time saved. You drive your car right up to the airplane on the ramp. You're in your seat literally seconds after arriving at the airport. Same thing at the other end -- taxi right up to your car waiting on the ramp.

And the flight departs when you are ready to go. The schedule is yours, not the airline's.

There seems to be a common belief that private air travel is an extravagance. Having high value, talented employees spend their time being herded through the public transit system, waiting in lines, suffering delays, seems like wasteful squandering of resources.

I bill an insane $/hour, but I don't fly private. I don't think flying private is as cheap/feasible as you make it out to me. But hey maybe i'm wrong.

jaysona Jan 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24223613)
I bill an insane $/hour, but I don't fly private. I don't think flying private is as cheap/feasible as you make it out to me. But hey maybe i'm wrong.

Flying private can mean anything from a King Air, HondJet, Cessna VLJ, Challenger, Falcon X, to G5/G6 Global Express and price ranges to go along.

If your work takes you anywhere that require more than 90 minutes driving, then it may be a good idea to look into private aviation. ;)

After Burner Jan 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24223613)

It sounds like you might be a candidate. If you go on a 1000 mile round trip, that might cost you around $7000 in a light jet. You could easily save 4 hours of your time. Multiply that by a billing rate of $1500 (just guessing) and it seems to me you're ahead.

tracon Jan 23, 2015 8:25 pm

With executives maknig $30,000, 30 minutes spent checking in and clearing security make corporate aviation pay for itself.

All piston engined personal aircraft that many of which could be used for private aviation uses (like a bunch of the King Airs) are not on this list.

King Airs are not piston engine.

Some of these are government planes, like water bombers and and such so that inflates the numbers

Most water bombers are owned by Corporations who charter to governments.
ie: Air Spray, Conair, Buffalo.

Here's an article on Walmart Canada's Learjet.

PLeblond Jan 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 24223786)
With executives maknig $30,000, 30 minutes spent checking in and clearing security make corporate aviation pay for itself.

King Airs are not piston engine.

Most water bombers are owned by Corporations who charter to governments.
ie: Air Spray, Conair, Buffalo.

Here's an article on Walmart Canada's Learjet.

Inded. Brain fart. I meant to write Cessna twins (like the 400 series).

As for the water-bombers et. al., my point was they are listed as "private' but I do not count them as private aviation in the sense that one would not usually use them to fly from point A to point B. They are, for all intents and purposes, utility aircraft and would bring the number down from the 740 listed.

superangrypenguin Jan 24, 2015 8:10 am

Originally Posted by After Burner (Post 24223640)
It sounds like you might be a candidate. If you go on a 1000 mile round trip, that might cost you around $7000 in a light jet. You could easily save 4 hours of your time. Multiply that by a billing rate of $1500 (just guessing) and it seems to me you're ahead.

Ok I don't bill quite that much, so I guess i'm stuck in Y :D :D

After Burner Jan 24, 2015 11:28 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24225390)
Ok I don't bill quite that much, so I guess i'm stuck in Y :D :D

There's a simple solution: raise your rate ;)

And what is this thing people call "Y"? :D

yyznomad Jan 25, 2015 6:05 am

I didn't know that SAP was a Canadian Celebrity :p

run&fly Feb 14, 2015 3:53 am

Famous Quebec film director Denys Arcand a few days ago at the INT YUL MLL on his way to CDG... attracted attention in the J cabin...

YOWgary Feb 15, 2015 12:40 am

The only time our team ever flies private is for short-to-medium hops when the schedule doesn't line up - for example LAX-PTY last month, when the only direct commercial flight left at the wrong time.

Private often comes out cheaper than J, especially with 4-6 people on a short hop.