Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Celebrity Sightings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Surprised me no one else recognized him...
Well it is on CBC
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
January 19, 2015
HND NH *G Lounge

Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue

I did a double take on Scott... then looked over and saw Tessa... then still not entirely sure, checked online and saw that there was some sort of international figure staking event in Tokyo this past weekend.

I'm going to assume that they're on my flight in J back to YYZ on AC006 shortly...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
... and Patrick Chan just walked by!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
... and Patrick Chan just walked by!
Flying Y or J?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: ACAlt,SPG,MR
Quote:

Originally Posted by PLeblond

So who's flying in all those Gulfstreams, Challengers & Falcons?

My point is a lot of Celebrities are famous, but don't have any "real" money. So they pay J+ for VIP treatment.

If they were real VIP's they'd be flying private aviation.

Americans? I work with a lot of very wealthy customers (given my incredibly expensive hourly rate that I charge on behalf of my employer). The only customer that I have worked with that flies anything private is McCains (and they are not publicly traded). Everyone else, including the big banks, their CEO's fly J.

It's not in the interest of the shareholder for executives to fly in private jets anymore. YoY revenue increase demands prevent them from doing that. Remember how much crap the CEO's of the banks on Wall Street got for spending millions to upgrade their offices? (a la Merrill Lynch?)

If I, as a shareholder, found out the C level execs were flying private, I'd hit "Sell" faster than a bee which found a new source of honey from collecting it!

PS, most if not all of the dragons are multi billionaires. They got there for a reason. Some of the "cheapest" people you'll meet are billionaires.
This is way side tracked but just for the record there are many company executives flying private in Canada. Large companies often have found the benefits for closing big deals outweighs the backlash. You can get to 3 and even 4 places in a day to bring customers to multiple plants or to meet key people where they are most productive.

As far as hitting the sell button, if the company is profitable and growing they must be doing something's right.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MrMacko
This is way side tracked but just for the record there are many company executives flying private in Canada. Large companies often have found the benefits for closing big deals outweighs the backlash. You can get to 3 and even 4 places in a day to bring customers to multiple plants or to meet key people where they are most productive.

As far as hitting the sell button, if the company is profitable and growing they must be doing something's right.
Names of these public companies?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying Y or J?
They all flew J - the entire Canadian team (some who I did not recognize) were in J.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by MrMacko

I know I've mentioned this before, but it still blows my mind that when David Thomson (net worth $30.74 billion) came to Winnipeg in 2011 to announce the return of the NHL, a few media members tweeted that he was on the same flight from Toronto as them... on AC... in Y.

This guy could buy a Gulfstream the same way that most of us might buy a new belt!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Names of these public companies?
Not specific to Canadian companies, but interesting article nonetheless discussing the Challenger 605 and the operators/owners.
http://aviationweek.com/business-avi...challenger-605

Biz aircraft still an essential tool for many businesses and imagine it applies in Canada as well even if it isn't as publicized. Maybe Canadian companies just using Londan Air, Execaire or Skyservice instead of buying their own.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:48 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Americans? I work with a lot of very wealthy customers (given my incredibly expensive hourly rate that I charge on behalf of my employer). The only customer that I have worked with that flies anything private is McCains (and they are not publicly traded). Everyone else, including the big banks, their CEO's fly J.

It's not in the interest of the shareholder for executives to fly in private jets anymore. YoY revenue increase demands prevent them from doing that. Remember how much crap the CEO's of the banks on Wall Street got for spending millions to upgrade their offices? (a la Merrill Lynch?)

If I, as a shareholder, found out the C level execs were flying private, I'd hit "Sell" faster than a bee which found a new source of honey from collecting it!

PS, most if not all of the dragons are multi billionaires. They got there for a reason. Some of the "cheapest" people you'll meet are billionaires.

One can download the list of aircraft registrations (http://wwwapps2.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur.../en/notice.asp)

Importing said list into excel, and eliminating those registered for commercial use and further eliminating piston engine aircraft, and helicopters the list comes out to 740 aircraft.

One needs to add:

Those who lease from places like Netjets, which I assume are considered commercial.

Those that for tax reasons and registration reasons (Thanks A.B. for the wisdom on registration information) have companies/holdings/financing from the US and will register their aircraft in the US or other countries.

All piston engined personal aircraft that many of which could be used for private aviation uses (like a bunch of the King Airs) are not on this list.

Some of these are government planes, like water bombers and and such so that inflates the numbers

I think its safe to assume that there are well above 1000 companies/individuals/persons flying private.

(Sometimes insomnia leads to fun things....)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Tuesday evening 20JAN 2015 in YYZ domestic MLL: former NHL goaltender and current hockey sportscaster Glenn Healy.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime

Glad I didn't take your advice when Hunter Harrison became CEO of CP Rail as he commutes on the private jet. Returns have been exceptional on that stock purchase!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
John Milne from Prescott...

Shook his hand, I am still in pain...

(World Champion Arm Wrestler who is a recognized star in Europe, sadly less so Canada.)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stinger
Glad I didn't take your advice when Hunter Harrison became CEO of CP Rail as he commutes on the private jet. Returns have been exceptional on that stock purchase!
Could have been better if he weren't wasting all that money. There are exceptions, you have pointed out one of them.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Could have been better if he weren't wasting all that money. There are exceptions, you have pointed out one of them.
4 J seats YYC-YYZ about $14,000 for a 4 hour flight. Light jet with 4 seats about $2500/hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.