Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by fafafayfay
Hi fellow FTers, qq, 75k member here, flying AC183 for the first time from YYZ - YVR, using my eUPs to J, what kind of meal should I expect (if any)?
Been trying to look it up in the below but showing no menu avail
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-service.html
appreciate any comments, thanks in advance!
I just got off 183. It was pancakes, omelette, or healthy option.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the help and quick response!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by fafafayfay
Hi fellow FTers, qq, 75k member here, flying AC183 for the first time from YYZ - YVR, using my eUPs to J, what kind of meal should I expect (if any)?
Been trying to look it up in the below but showing no menu avail
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-service.html
appreciate any comments, thanks in advance!

@fafafayfay

Just a FYI, you posted your question in the Special Meals' Thread

Since you are asking about breakfast on AC 183, the best place to look would be this thread

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

YEG_SE4Life is correct, the 3 options are the omelette, the pancakes or the healthy.

This post has a photo of the healthy option (wine optional )

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29436828-post3493.html

This post has photos of 2 versions of the omelette breakfast

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29820254-post3541.html
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
@fafafayfay

Just a FYI, you posted your question in the Special Meals' Thread

Since you are asking about breakfast on AC 183, the best place to look would be this thread

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

YEG_SE4Life is correct, the 3 options are the omelette, the pancakes or the healthy.

This post has a photo of the healthy option (wine optional )

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29436828-post3493.html

This post has photos of 2 versions of the omelette breakfast

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29820254-post3541.html
Thanks! understood and will do, will contribute from the other thread, my bad
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:37 am

gluten and lactose free

Hi, I am flying from Toronto to Bogota. What is my best option for a gluten- and lactosefree meal?

Thanks!! (Have gone hungry very often : ))
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by AlbinoPigeon
Back from my trip to China and I thought I would report back on the meal. Sadly (but I suppose unsurprisingly) it was pretty bad. My parents stuck to their HNML selections, while my sister and I opted for regular. Sadly, I can't post photos as I'm too new but the only meal I remember from the YVR-PEK leg was a kind of teriyaki chicken with noodles. On the way back I received Chicken and rice with an asian flavoured sauce and then I opted for the western breakfast (instead of congee), scrambled eggs, some steamed spinach, a hash brown patty and a very porky sausage.

On both legs, my parents received vegetarian meals that were indian in style both on the way there and back. They also had margarine with their meals instead of butter, leading us to believe they've combined the HNML, AVML, VGML and who knows what else into a single option to save on costs. My parents reported that their meals were better coming back from PEK than the ones from YVR.

This will probably be the last time I eat a meal in economy on any north american/european airline. Does anyone know whether the cabin crew is allowed to warm up a meal brought on board by a passenger? If so, I might just make my own.
That's very unfortunate that Hindu meals are catered as vegetarian meals in economy. I wonder if they do the same in Business. When looking at the ac site, they state Hindu meal AND asian veg/hindu as their special meal options.

I'm flying PEK YVR next month and I really want to get the hindu meal since i LOVE indian food. But i don't wanna get stuck with a vegetarian meal. I want the MEAT! lol But at the same time, i want the normal post main cheese plate and dessert! ugh, decisions!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by moniwernie
Hi, I am flying from Toronto to Bogota. What is my best option for a gluten- and lactosefree meal?

Are you flying in business or economy?

As you can see from up thread, special meals are not very appetizing, so try packing your own food as a back up.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by moniwernie

You can get either gluten-free or lactose-free, but not both. I usually select gluten-free, because I can tolerate a small amount of lactose. But as others have suggested, bring your own snacks to be sure.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by kenlor
You can get either gluten-free or lactose-free, but not both. I usually select gluten-free, because I can tolerate a small amount of lactose. But as others have suggested, bring your own snacks to be sure.
Wrong, the gluten free and lactose free meal is exactly the same meal.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
This. Every time I have asked for a GFML, I noticed it also happened to be lactose-free (margarine, really??). AC consolidates multiple special meals as a cost-saving measure, I assume.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Huh! I did not know that. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
While AC's vegetarian meals ex-YYZ were just not edible in my experience, and lacked nutrients and taste for starters, I wanted to see how the "Vegetarian Oriental" ex-HKG compared to CX etc.

I will start by asking the question: If CX can manage excellent Vegetarian Oriental ex-YYZ, why can't AC?

That said, this meal on a recent AC 8 HKG-YVR was quite nice, some parts better than others, but good overall.

This was the dinner meal.

This cold appetizer was great.

Nice, fresh salad.

The caterer - or whoever chose the components of the VOML - seems to have a passion for mushrooms.

This would be perfect with some peanuts and soy/sriracha sauces

I think this might have been the VOML snack, but I asked if I could have it with the pre-arrival meal.

This was also very nice....a bit much on the mushroom thing, but these 2 items together were a good meal.

Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Hmm, the meals 24left posted look very appetizing. Mushrooms are great for providing umami if there is no meat or shellfish, and the meal appears to incorporate typical Chinese mushrooms (I could identify black mushrooms and wood-ear fungus).

My only complaint would be the lack of protein.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by islandcub1
Hmm, the meals 24left posted look very appetizing. Mushrooms are great for providing umami if there is no meat or shellfish, and the meal appears to incorporate typical Chinese mushrooms (I could identify black mushrooms and wood-ear fungus).

My only complaint would be the lack of protein.
Lack of protein (and the overindex on carbs) is why I've given up on AC SPMLs.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAAdvantage
Originally Posted by kenlor
Huh! I did not know that. Thanks for the info.
Yes, thanks for the info. I was pretty dismayed to find the gluten free meal I ordered in "Business" (yeah sure, it was prem econo at best) from MEX-YYZ had coffee mate and nothing dairy-ish on the plate - thought I had been given the wrong meal at first. So that explains it. From now on, even in J I will pack my own snacks and pick and choose from the regular menu rather than order gluten-free - the meal was vile and most of it remained on the plate. My travelling companion's meal (chicken on a bed of rice) had no discernible sources of gluten so it would have been safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.