Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm flying YVR-YYZ this Friday on the old config 777 in business. I don't eat meat, but I eat seafood along with any vegetables. I don't want to order something that ends being too tiny, but I don't want to wait for the flight and take the risk of no vegetarian pasta option or fish.

Any suggestions on what to pre-order for this flight would be appreciated - except the Asian Vegetation (Indian curry), which I had YVR-NRT last year in coach and it was beyond disgusting.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm flying YVR-YYZ this Friday on the old config 777 in business. I don't eat meat, but I eat seafood along with any vegetables. I don't want to order something that ends being too tiny, but I don't want to wait for the flight and take the risk of no vegetarian pasta option or fish.

Any suggestions on what to pre-order for this flight would be appreciated - except the Asian Vegetation (Indian curry), which I had YVR-NRT last year in coach and it was beyond disgusting.
Well, the only safe dishes would be the vegetarian dish. Is your flight in the morning or afternoon?

Also, VOML has had the curry, which wasn't bad (IMO I actually quite liked it), or that pasta thing here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25188093-post37.html

I would suggest VOML. And then if you don't like it, just say it wasn't meant for you or whatever and grab something off the menu. It's all about probabilities my friend

Keeping in mind, I haven't had these below:

Vegetarian meal (non-dairy)
Vegetarian meal (lacto-ovo)
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Well, the only safe dishes would be the vegetarian dish. Is your flight in the morning or afternoon?

Also, VOML has had the curry, which wasn't bad (IMO I actually quite liked it), or that pasta thing here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25188093-post37.html

I would suggest VOML. And then if you don't like it, just say it wasn't meant for you or whatever and grab something off the menu. It's all about probabilities my friend

Keeping in mind, I haven't had these below:

Vegetarian meal (non-dairy)
Vegetarian meal (lacto-ovo)
It's a 130P departure from YVR - hopefully this flight receives a full and proper meal service up front. I wonder if the lacto-ovo option is a pasta dish...that might be the safer bet.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
It's a 130P departure from YVR - hopefully this flight receives a full and proper meal service up front. I wonder if the lacto-ovo option is a pasta dish...that might be the safer bet.
Dunno about pasta. But please take a pic so we can have the info in this thread

It should be a proper meal service as its a premium long haul route
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

1:30? Are you on 1136?

That's my usual return from YVR. There is a drinks/nuts service followed by a main meal and dessert.

This was the most recent YVR-YYZ menu posted by yyznomad. My July menu was a few pages back in the same thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25277134-post2122.html
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
1:30? Are you on 1136?

That's my usual return from YVR. There is a drinks/nuts service followed by a main meal and dessert.

This was the most recent YVR-YYZ menu posted by yyznomad. My July menu was a few pages back in the same thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25277134-post2122.html
Great, thank you! Looks like two perfectly good options for me if this is the menu for my flight. I guess mentioning my restriction to the FA before orders are taken would help get the fish or pasta.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Great, thank you! Looks like two perfectly good options for me if this is the menu for my flight. I guess mentioning my restriction to the FA before orders are taken would help get the fish or pasta.
It always does. When I don't get a SPML, I always let the SD know that I couldn't order a SPML, but I can only have the chicken or whatever that doesn't have dairy as i'm severely lactose intolerant.

Once, the SD said she'll do her best and asked me what would happen if I didn't get it. I said the entire J cabin will have to endure whatever happens to me in the lav. She made sure I got my meal choice
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My child meal was not loaded.

It showed up under "special requests" during OLCI.

Is there supposed to be something on my BP? The SD asked if there were any remarks, but there aren't.

Edit: The PIL did say CHML beside my name.

And I've now had two SDs say this has been a really bad summer for catering.

Last edited by canadiancow; Aug 23, 2015 at 4:08 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My child meal was not loaded.

It showed up under "special requests" during OLCI.

Is there supposed to be something on my BP? The SD asked if there were any remarks, but there aren't.
I've never seen anything on my bp for a special meal.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:35 am
Suspended

...And I've now had two SDs say this has been a really bad summer for catering.

What EXACTLY does this mean?

In another thread, there was a post saying 50% of special meals are not boarded, or 50% of requests for special meals are not delivered. (perhaps someone can find it)

Is anyone responsible for making sure that all of the special meals requested for a flight have actually been boarded for that flight?

Does the contract AC has with the catering companies still allow them to be paid for such poor performance?

Are the mistakes happening on the AC side and therefore the actual requests are not making to the catering companies?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:53 am

What EXACTLY does this mean?

In another thread, there was a post saying 50% of special meals are not boarded, or 50% of requests for special meals are not delivered. (perhaps someone can find it)

Is anyone responsible for making sure that all of the special meals requested for a flight have actually been boarded for that flight?

Does the contract AC has with the catering companies still allow them to be paid for such poor performance?

Are the mistakes happening on the AC side and therefore the actual requests are not making to the catering companies?
I'm not referring to special meals.

I'm referring to catering in general.

My SFO-YUL yesterday had no wine or beer.

I've heard stories about trays being loaded without cutlery, etc.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:03 am
Suspended

I'm not referring to special meals.....
Ok, because this is the "Air Canada Special Meals thread"

I'm still waiting for an explanation for this

...And I've now had two SDs say this has been a really bad summer for catering.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just out of curiousity: What's the reasoning for eating fish and seafood, but not "meat"?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:38 am

Ok, because this is the "Air Canada Special Meals thread"

I'm still waiting for an explanation for this
I gave you some examples in one of the posts you just quoted

Stuff just isn't being boarded.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just out of curiousity: What's the reasoning for eating fish and seafood, but not "meat"?
Trying to find a middle ground that is sustainable and healthy - I tried vegetarian, but it just wasn't working well with limited choices, and I won't eat meat due to concerns over animal treatment (and I've dramatically reduced my egg consumption to near zero as I try and cut them from my diet altogether due to cruelty issues). Pescatarianism is a popular option for those wanting to avoid meat for health or humane issues, but can't make the full jump to vegetarian.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.