Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYT82
In J or Y?

I have been offered $150 CAD for missed SPML in J before, but nothing in Y besides an apology.
So $150 for no SPML and $50 for no regular meal.

Sounds like I need to start ordering SPMLs again.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So $150 for no SPML and $50 for no regular meal.

Sounds like I need to start ordering SPMLs again.
I should also clarify that my experience was based on international flights. I have not bothered asking for compensation for missed SPMLs on domestic or TB flights.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Barkinpark
I just had gum surgery and need to travel on AC in Biz class from the US to Europe. I need to be on a cooked, soft diet that requires less chewing. I was thinking about the fruit plate, but I am not allowed to have berries or fruits with seeds such as kiwis or dragon fruits.

So, given these restrictions, what do you think are the best option(s) for me? I will try to fill my tummy with the goodness at the SIgnature Dining Room before my flight.

Thanks a lot.
I'm not sure any special meal would be more suitable than the regular meals in J. Possibly the Asian vegetarian / Hindu meals (or whatever they're called)?

But arguably the appetizer, the main fish and the main vegetarian option and the dessert / ice cream usually require minimal chewing.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'm not sure any special meal would be more suitable than the regular meals in J. Possibly the Asian vegetarian / Hindu meals (or whatever they're called)?

But arguably the appetizer, the main fish and the main vegetarian option and the dessert / ice cream usually require minimal chewing.
Thanks. The phone agent told me that Asian/Hindu veg meal or the Oriental veg meal would be the best.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:21 pm

Thanks. The phone agent told me that Asian/Hindu veg meal or the Oriental veg meal would be the best.
Ah yes, because they have tried them all

I would definitely trust anyone in this thread over a phone agent
Barkinpark and DNAwizard like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Ah yes, because they have tried them all

I would definitely trust anyone in this thread over a phone agent
Agreed. Although I wouldn't rule out that a competent AC agent (who may actually have read ACpedia and various memos) may have a decent understanding of the meals available.

And it's not rocket science to figure out that the Asian/Hindu vegetarian and oriental vegetarian meals

a) don't contain chewy meat (I know - shocking) and
b) non-Western vegetarian meals (especially the Hindu meal) probably have a rice-based main course

While I realize that meals vary from airline to airline, the vegetarian Asian/Hindu meal (probably some mushy veg. curry) would generally be a safer bet than the veg. Oriental meal (probably some nasty tofu with chunks of broccoli and carrots or something similarly delightful).

So based on the ~dozen different SPMLs, that recommendation doesn't seem unreasonable. But per my post above, I'm not convinced that that any SPML would be better than choosing a few components of the regular J meal.
Barkinpark and canadiancow like this.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Aug 12, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Agreed. Although I wouldn't rule out that a competent AC agent (who may actually have read ACpedia and various memos) may have a decent understanding of the meals available.
Definitely, but if phone agent agrees with FT, then it's irrelevant, and if phone agent disagrees, I'd go with FT. So it's a waste of time to call
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:08 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYT82
I should also clarify that my experience was based on international flights. I have not bothered asking for compensation for missed SPMLs on domestic or TB flights.
A colleague of mine used to have a standing SPML order (for FPML) and they missed it many times on domestic/TB flights. I think he was receiving 2,000 Aeroplan miles each time.

He was likely in J on upgrades most of the time. Not sure whether that factored in to the compensation.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
The most I got was a 15% off code for a missing spml in Y/PY and a $150 coupon on 2 occasions in J. I wrote in for a total of 4 missing spml issues(2 in J, 2 in Y/PY) in 2018 and it went like this:
1. Tatl in Y - apology
2. Tpac in PY - 15% off code (was SE by then)
3. Tpac in J - 150$ coupon
4. Tpac in J - 15% off code plus $150 coupon.
I probably ordered around 20 spmls in 2018 and had 5 issues that I can remember. I didn't write in once because the crew gave my spml to someone else after I had moved because of a deflated seat. I had eaten in the YYZ SS anyway so I didn't care enough to make a fuss.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Indiavictorcharlie
I didn't write in once because the crew gave my spml to someone else after I had moved because of a deflated seat. I had eaten in the YYZ SS anyway so I didn't care enough to make a fuss.
Isn't your name on the SPML as well as your seat number? Can't they see they have a passenger in that seat on the PIL? I just don't understand how that could even happen.

I appreciate that making a fuss isn't going to do much, but how the heck does that happen???
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
Isn't your name on the SPML as well as your seat number? Can't they see they have a passenger in that seat on the PIL? I just don't understand how that could even happen.

I appreciate that making a fuss isn't going to do much, but how the heck does that happen???
Yeah that's what I thought but apparently the FA on that side saw the empty seat and assumed I moved across from K to G or whatever it was rather than checking to see that I had actually moved to an A seat. They were very apologetic and whoever got my spml also didn't realize I guess? Anyway yeah it would have been much worse had it been a dietary restriction or whatever but I pick the spmls from time to time just for a little variety so I wasn't too bothered and just wanted to sleep. I'm sure I could have talked my way to another discount code but didn't think it worth the hassle.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

@Barkinpark

Just a little fyi, the agents the phone generally do not know about the meals unless they have personally had them. A number of years ago, an AC res agent would have been able to give you the exact list of items on each SPML. That is history and they can only tell you the list of options.

I've also ordered my share of SPMLs including various vegetarian plus I was given a meal I never ordered. AC catering has organized a number of the SPMLs where some items are the same no matter whether you order any of the vegetarian meals, Asian/Hindu or Oriental. Unless the main hot dish is a chickpea curry with rice for example, the salad and fruit may not be soft enough.

Also as you noted, if you are going to the Signature Suite, you can have eggs and maybe one of the soft breads.

See my photos and descriptions in posts 477 and 480 on this page

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...thread-32.html
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:44 pm

Thanks, folks. I phoned again and this time the agent told me to just buy some yogurt at the airport and bring it on board. He said the Hindu Veg meal may contain nuts and lentils, which are a no-no for me.

I will post about my meal in the Special Meals thread.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by WGretzky
hello I have a couple of questions:
q: my wife is vegetarian but eats eggs. Is it worth ordering the lacto-OVO veggie meal for the YYZ-SJO leg or is there always a veggie option available?

@WGretzky

I'm answering your question in this thread.

If you order that lacto-ovo meal, you may not receive it. I've ordered it twice in recent years and instead was served vegetarian meals with only kidney beans as one protein and some horrid tofu scramble for the breakfast. You can order a special meal, but I would suggest you and your wife take along some back-up snacks.

Other here who have flown premium rouge and had breakfast should be able to tell you what is usually served but the option I've seen on one shorter route I've flown was only the usual AC omelette breakfast - although the menu that was handed out showed 2 options.
WGretzky likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
@WGretzky

I'm answering your question in this thread.

If you order that lacto-ovo meal, you may not receive it. I've ordered it twice in recent years and instead was served vegetarian meals with only kidney beans as one protein and some horrid tofu scramble for the breakfast. You can order a special meal, but I would suggest you and your wife take along some back-up snacks.

Other here who have flown premium rouge and had breakfast should be able to tell you what is usually served but the option I've seen on one shorter route I've flown was only the usual AC omelette breakfast - although the menu that was handed out showed 2 options.
thanks - this is an evening flight - departs YYZ around 5:30pm so unfortunately no breakfast (which I think would probably be better whatever they serve).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.