Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K
anyone have any experience with Hindu Meals out of LHR?
Old May 22, 2019, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I booked an Aeroplan J ticket for a friend. I selected the lacto-ovo vegetarian meal when I booked it. Now that we're within 3 days of departure, I decided to call and verify.

It was not on the booking.

I will note that initially, one segment was in X, but I later moved it to I, so there was a modification since the original booking.

But this would have been unpleasant for him had I not called.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
AC Signature Class Meal (Vegetarian)

We’ve flown AC J class numerous times, and pre-ordered the vegetarian meal several times; it has always been quite disappointing. We have an upcoming signature class flight, and welcome any information from anyone who has flown signature class and pre-ordered a vegetarian meal; is it the same meal offered in regular J Class?
Old May 31, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by kjpower
We’ve flown AC J class numerous times, and pre-ordered the vegetarian meal several times; it has always been quite disappointing. We have an upcoming signature class flight, and welcome any information from anyone who has flown signature class and pre-ordered a vegetarian meal; is it the same meal offered in regular J Class?
Which vegeterian meal?

Have you tried the strict vegan, the vegeterian oriental (also vegan) or the vegeterian hindu (not vegan)?

I've found that the general vegeterian is too easy for airlines to cop out on, leading to disappointment, while the vegan meals require a bit more thought to get right, and in the case of oriental or hindu, more spices, so you usually get a more satisfying meal.

That's just my experience, and not necessarily with AC. AC strict vegan meal (western style) has usually been hummus and a few veg. Whoop dee doo.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just in case you weren't aware: Except on flights to/from Asia, one of the four main course options is always a vegetarian option (usually pasta, but occasionally risotto or something else).
Old May 31, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ls-thread.html

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Regular meals get swapped out every so often (please let's not debate that on this thread), and it's also very apparent as menus are given out. SPML's (special meals) though...not quite the same. There is no menu and there's no way to figure out what you're getting until you get it. Until now.

So let this be the master thread of tracking SPML's on Air Canada
(already approved by a mod).

Air Canada special meals information can be located here: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...cialmeals.html

These are the available items:

-----------------------------------------------
Asian vegetarian meal
Baby meal
Bland meal
Children's meal
Diabetic meal
Fruit plate meal
Gluten intolerant meal
Hindu meal
Kosher meal
Low-calorie meal
Low fat meal
Low lactose meal
Low salt meal
Muslim meal
Vegetarian meal (non-dairy)
Vegetarian meal (lacto-ovo)
Vegetarian oriental meal
-----------------------------------------------
And no, none of the Vegetarian meals (all of them) are the same as the "vegetarian" one on the J menu.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just in case you weren't aware: Except on flights to/from Asia, one of the four main course options is always a vegetarian option (usually pasta, but occasionally risotto or something else).
Originally Posted by yyznomad
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ls-thread.html

And no, none of the Vegetarian meals (all of them) are the same as the "vegetarian" one on the J menu.
Hmm, was not aware that there was a vegeterian option in J in AC. Interesting to know. I've usually seen "fish" as the vegeterian option.

The "special meals" when ordered in J are upgraded and gourmet, are they not? They have been on every Asian *A partner I've been on.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Hmm, was not aware that there was a vegeterian option in J in AC. Interesting to know. I've usually seen "fish" as the vegeterian option.

The "special meals" when ordered in J are upgraded and gourmet, are they not? They have been on every Asian *A partner I've been on.
If you want to see the "vegetarian" meals in Signature Service (J) international, see this thread:
Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

For NA, see this thread:
Summary of North America Executive class meal service

As per @Jasper2009 they are almost always some sort of pasta dish.

And fyi here is the master meals thread for all related class of service meal threads, courtesy of @24left :
Air Canada Meals - Master Thread
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:01 am

I always order a special meal because I worry that they won't load enough of the vegetarian option. If that happens, I am SOL. I have ordered a special meal in the past and the FA has offered the vegetarian option from the menu if it looks better than my special meal. It is nice to have a back up option.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Have gone through the last few years of posts but could not find pictures and/or descriptions of children‘s meals in long-haul J (Europe to Canada).

Any recent experiences with long-haul children‘s meals in J?

Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Have gone through the last few years of posts but could not find pictures and/or descriptions of children‘s meals in long-haul J (Europe to Canada).

Any recent experiences with long-haul children‘s meals in J?

Thank you.
A little dated, but in late 2017 we flew J from LHR to YYZ on the 3 pm flight.

Lunch:
- Appetizer: veggies
- Main: pasta (looked like it could have been the same pasta from PE; definitely was not the J pasta option)
Pre-arrival Snack:
- Orange slices with scones / jam / clotted cream (very similar to the regular meal but the scones were a different)

As an FYI, we also did the daylight YYZ to LHR flight with the following meals:

Breakfast:
- Fruit
- French toast with sausages (note: omelette was standard for everyone else)
Dinner:
- Appetizer: veggie plate
- Dinner: pasta (as above, pasta looked like it was from PE)

I will try to find the pics and post them.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If the pasta is anything like the North America PLH pasta, it's EXTREMELY bland. It has pretty much no taste at all.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyingkenuck
I will try to find the pics and post them.
Many information on long-haul J kids meals is very much appreciated.

Will wait until the regular menu becomes available on July 24 and then decide whether we will order a special meal.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If the pasta is anything like the North America PLH pasta, it's EXTREMELY bland. It has pretty much no taste at all.
That’s not ideal. Our kids appreciate a decent steak. This month, there is a beef steak with mashed potatoes on the regular menu and they would eat that in a heartbeat. Let‘s see what AC serves in August.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Which is perfect for kids, no? Somehow I got a generalization that most kids don't like fussy foods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.