Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Airlines are notorious for high sodium/ high fat content and one of the biggest problems with low fat prepared foods is that the sodium content is often significantly higher than with regular foods. What special meals do you FFs take when trying to keep both sodium and fat intake down?
Obviously this is because taste buds change up there as everyone knows.

My best guess is the other than the FPML (fruit plate) is the AVML (Asian Vegetarian).

There is another FTer that I know who flies probably more than all of us who hates sodium. That FTer consistently orders the AVML for this reason. So while it's hearsay coming from me, at least that may help.

The low fat part is something that obviously I did not inquire about. However, in Asian cooking, I can't think of many meals that contain things that are high fat (butter, milk, cheese etc are all generally not in asian cooking). However, the AVML MAY contain lactose as it doesn't explicitly list that it does not. Plus I can't think of any vegetarian dishes that are high fat - albeit I am not vegetarian. I am a steakarian

Anyways, that's my best guess. HTH.

Before anyone asks...

AVML = Asian vegetarian
VOML = Vegetarian Oriental.

AVML = low salt. The VOML certainly is not low salt. AVML may contain dairy. VOML does not. <--took me months to figure the differences between the 2 meals, so there you go
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by maradori
I was about to suggest the fruit plate too, but all that fructose in fruits ...
The thing I like about the fruit plate is that is is not cooked, baked, friend or processed.

As an example, it is the only breakfast I choose on the morning transcons (Dom or TB). I will also eat the 2 little pieces of veg and the cheese. The buns are avoided for many reasons (none of which are dietary). I also like the oatmeal.

Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maradori
On a different tangent, can someone take one (or two) for the team and order the kids meal and the low calorie meal? I'm curious what those are
I thought someone posted that you had to be a child to order the kid's meal.

I'd be happy to try it though, if they'll let me
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Funny thing, that fun conversation took place in the other meal thread, "Summary of North America Executive class meal service":

Is it the same size? I'm tempted to order one
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
How about a BBML?? Nothing like a jar of strained bananas to get your day going
Originally Posted by tracon
What do the afternoon/evening children's meals consist of?
On rotation. Chicken fingers/nuggets, Mac & Cheese.
Damn. Think I can change my ticket to a child ticket?
And yet I've still never seen you

Imagine. Note to Self - Pack:

>Chicken Nuggets
>Peanut Butter
>Gummy Bears
>Straws

Anything Else??
Maybe some mac and cheese instead of the peanut butter.

And don't forget the ice cream
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

We're all a bunch of children on here, so I think we all qualify for the kid's meal.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
We're all a bunch of children on here, so I think we all qualify for the kid's meal.

Imagine how the mood would change if AC offered an option of a happy meal.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC*SE
KSML ex-YVR is almost always from Omnitsky's in Vancouver (a kosher bakery). I actually stopped by a few years back and saw them preparing the trays.

ex-YYZ is much better.

The spiral pasta is gnarly. The chicken and rice can vary.

Originally Posted by luxury
AC 63 YVR-ICN
July 20, 2015
Kosher Meal
International

The appetizer consisted of 2 rock hard rolls which were inedible; a cold pasta dish in tomato sauce; inedibly salty smoked salmon; and a terribly dry piece of cake.

The main course was a chicken with rice smothered in an onion, celery and bell pepper sauce. Chicken was a little dry. Really sucks when one is allergic to bell peppers.

And for the 2nd meal service, the cold plate again.

I chose this meal as I had to ensure no pork due to an allergy. It was not a great choice on this occasion.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Slightly OT but still on topic - does anyone know what the standard AC coupon compensation amount is when AC fails to load your special meal?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mountaingrl
Slightly OT but still on topic - does anyone know what the standard AC coupon compensation amount is when AC fails to load your special meal?
If I were to get anything when they fail to load a SPML, I'd be rich.

So.....you get nothing. I've asked, politely of course because that's how I ask, but yeah you get nothing. I've had some SD's go out of their way to try and help with what resources they have, but no discount code/voucher
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

So.....you get nothing. I've asked, politely of course because that's how I ask, but yeah you get nothing. I've had some SD's go out of their way to try and help with what resources they have, but no discount code/voucher
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right...Margarita Girl was always getting a coupon code when they failed to load her veggie meal...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right...Margarita Girl was always getting a coupon code when they failed to load her veggie meal...
Ok, we'll have to wait for MG then.

I have, to this date, since flying extensively, had 0 comp for SPML's not making it onboard. Apologies = plenty. But no comp.

Have I had comp before for stuff onboard? Yes. But not for SPML's not making it. Then again, I probably don't pursue it as aggressively though. <and that's on me>

Then again now my SPML success rate = 80% or so. So that's good.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by tass
KSML ex-YVR is almost always from Omnitsky's in Vancouver (a kosher bakery). I actually stopped by a few years back and saw them preparing the trays.

ex-YYZ is much better.

The spiral pasta is gnarly. The chicken and rice can vary.
I agree.

I think ex-YUL is the best actually.
I've had some pretty good meals catered out of Montreal.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
$50

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

You need to ask for a green form. Some FAs offer it proactively. Many do not.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: AC SE
Well, I usually ask at the podium before the flight to make sure they have loaded my special meal (gluten-free). Once I was offered an op-up because they did not have my meal - but that was on LH!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Has anyone experienced or seen what the AC Gluten intolerant meal looks like? Also, I'm flying Premium Rouge YYZ to MAN so would they follow the same criteria as AC ML?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.