Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Abandoning one leg on award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Abandoning one leg on award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (2008-2013), SPG Platinum (06-NOW)
Abandoning one leg on award ticket

Without prejudice

We about to book our Asia award tickets from ICN - CGK, since CGK consider asia 2 region, the cost of points is 60,000 points per pax return, however if we book ICN - SIN is only costing us 30,000 points per pax. On the routing however, the flight goes to SIN-via CGK-ICN-via CGK-SIN (CGK is my originating point).

My question is if it is possible to abandon the last leg between CGK - SIN? Will the AC or Asiana check in agent allow us to check our luggage until CGK only?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mraquinas; Aug 12, 2015 at 7:34 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:27 am

You can only do this if you are carrying on only. If you have booked luggage they will not short check to CGK. Unless the layover in CGK is overnight, sometimes they will allow short checking but it is up to the agent.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Should not be a problem.

I m in the middle of doing just this.
I m skipping my last flight on SQ KUL SIN. TK had no issue short checking the bag to KUL only.

Schedule the layover in CGK to be long enough to make up a plausible story that u need to pick up your bag, and its a non issue.

OZ won't know nor care how many points you paid, and AC won't even know u skipped the last leg.

*posted from 38000 feet over Africa*
Thanks TK free wifi
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Make the layover between CGK-SIN as long as possible (i.e. overnight), in that case, you will most likely have to pick up your bags at CGK
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (2008-2013), SPG Platinum (06-NOW)
Thank you all for the advise....
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I would book ICN-SIN return, and buy a ticket SIN-CGK return, they are very cheap,
and you can even fly Air Asia or similar for very little money - it's only an hour and a half.

What airline flies SIN-CGK-ICN? Its not OZ, or SQ. I am not aware of any airline
flying that routing.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I would book ICN-SIN return, and buy a ticket SIN-CGK return, they are very cheap,
and you can even fly Air Asia or similar for very little money - it's only an hour and a half.

What airline flies SIN-CGK-ICN? Its not OZ, or SQ. I am not aware of any airline
flying that routing.
I don't know much about Asia, but if the OP is correct on the routing (and 30 seconds of Google searching showed that OZ does fly ICN-CGK daily), you realise you're effectively suggesting he fly ICN-CGK-SIN-CGK, right? Much better to just do the hidden city as he's planning, or just stump up the extra 30K Aeroplan points to fly ICN-CGK, than to do that.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:56 pm

Is CGK-SIN the last leg of your itinerary?
You don't plan on using the return to ICN?
If yes then getting off in CGK is fine.
Once you've abandoned your ticket in SIN the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by tracon
Is CGK-SIN the last leg of your itinerary?
You don't plan on using the return to ICN?
If yes then getting off in CGK is fine.
Once you've abandoned your ticket in SIN the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled.
Depending on the cost of taxes for that last leg (worthwhile?), calling AP to inform that the last leg will not be used may result in the refund of said taxes.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
It's gonna be up to the agent. It makes more sense if you have a long/overnight layover but any agent can short tag for you. I've short tagged on domestic flights to not have to carry on my bag on a Q400 since they won't skycheck. I've short tagged with overnight layover at HND. It depends on how/who you ask. I wouldn't tell them you intend to get off. If they refuse, just go carry on then. Problem is you won't know until then, so you need to set yourself up to be able to go carry on.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Depending on the cost of taxes for that last leg (worthwhile?), calling AP to inform that the last leg will not be used may result in the refund of said taxes.
Calling AP will result in a $102 change fee and additional points being charged. There is no YQ on SQ anyway.

I don't understand the debate. This is a non issue if its the last segment. The layover just has to be plausibly long enough, preferably overnight.

I doubt SQ missed me on the flight I just skipped, although I do hope AC still had to pay for it
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:19 pm

This will work only if the segment you're abandoning is the last leg of the whole itinerary.
It sounds like you are departing out of ICN, and since you can't book a one-way ticket intra-Asia, you will have to book a round-trip ticket.
Are you planning on throwing away your return journey as well with the CGK-SIN leg?

Last edited by agjil; Jul 25, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Calling AP will result in a $102 change fee and additional points being charged. There is no YQ on SQ anyway.
I did not say change, I said inform and taxes (airport etc) not YQ. I just did it few days ago and got few loonies back. No charges, otherwise I would not "inform" them.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I doubt SQ missed me on the flight I just skipped, although I do hope AC still had to pay for it
It would be Aeroplan, not AC.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It would be Aeroplan, not AC.
Are u sure, I don't actually know, but I thought that the carriers paid a set amount between themselves. Like for a short SQ J segment, AC would pay SQ $50 or something.

How AC and AP settle is between them.

I thought that was proven when we proved that YQ is not passed on to the operating carrier, but kept by AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.