Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I'd be guessing but LMUs are found bonus bucks for Air Canada. I am quite sure AC is not losing sleep about how many fliers (if any at all) are buying LMUs at OLCI.

They already know that those who can or want to buy some form of J, already do so.

Or, those who want or can use eUpgrades (the other currency) will do so.

I would pay for a LMU if I were to receive my AQM for the purchase. of the upgraded fare class.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by 24left
I would pay for a LMU if I were to receive my AQM for the purchase. of the upgraded fare class.
Would surely make some prices somewhat more palatable.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Based on today's LMU YVR HKG offered at $850 for an E50 for a tpac, it assigns close to zero value to eUp credits.

It's another example of how AC kicks people who think they have been appreciated as loyal fliers, in the teeth.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Allvest
Based on today's LMU YVR HKG offered at $850 for an E50 for a tpac, it assigns close to zero value to eUp credits.

It's another example of how AC kicks people who think they have been appreciated as loyal fliers, in the teeth.
Totally agree. I actually consider the value below zero, since you have to buy a Flex fare to have the privilege of spending $750 and eUps. $850 < Flex + $750
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Totally agree. I actually consider the value below zero, since you have to buy a Flex fare to have the privilege of spending $750 and eUps. $850 < Flex + $750
A more sinister view would be such:

AC has TPAC eUP for SE50 just as a theoretical offer. In reality they are conditioning those fliers to jump the queue 24 hours ahead of SEs to purchase upgrades on the cheap and leave SE holding the bag at the gate, or conditioning SEs to buy cheap P (discount J) fares.

Essentially AC is cheapening the J cabin quite nicely all by themselves unless AC is successful selling J before all this goes on the date of departure.

The end result is that AC is making upgrades as unattractive for the most frequent fliers as possible.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That assumes the offer would have been the same on a lower fare, or that a lower fare would have been purchased if it weren't for the chance of an eUpgrade.

In this case, it was from PY to J, so there wasn't really a cheaper option.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:38 am

I thought it was $500?

Regardless, I have noticed the same thing for my destinations. Lowest flex/PY + co-pay is often VERY close to P (or even more).

Only time it's not the case is when I see P at like 5-6K, but I just look for another airline when that's the case.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I thought it was $500?

Regardless, I have noticed the same thing for my destinations. Lowest flex/PY + co-pay is often VERY close to P (or even more).

Only time it's not the case is when I see P at like 5-6K, but I just look for another airline when that's the case.
TPAC is $750.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
TPAC is $750.
RIP ever using eUps for TPACs.

Edit: I mean. Ok. Even if I end up saving $200-$300. I would rather pay it up front and not to worry about anything, instead of having to wait until T-whatever to know if I will actually upgrade. Or worse, not knowing what I will be getting until I get to gate. Too much unnecessary. That $200 is not worth (imo) checking out loads every other day praying that everything goes well, or skipping the lounge to head to the gate to pray that no one else is ahead of me on the list for that last seat.

Besides, I usually fly with the wife, so getting 2x eUpped as E50Ks on a reduced J cabin? MEH.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
RIP ever using eUps for TPACs.

Edit: I mean. Ok. Even if I end up saving $200-$300. I would rather pay it up front and not to worry about anything, instead of having to wait until T-whatever to know if I will actually upgrade. Or worse, not knowing what I will be getting until I get to gate. Too much unnecessary. That $200 is not worth (imo) checking out loads every other day praying that everything goes well, or skipping the lounge to head to the gate to pray that no one else is ahead of me on the list for that last seat.

Besides, I usually fly with the wife, so getting 2x eUpped as E50Ks on a reduced J cabin? MEH.
You keep throwing around numbers like $200, but I've showed you an example where Flex plus co-pay was thousands of dollars less than the cheapest P fare. And it didn't take much effort to find a case like that.

Just because your favourite route has cheap P fares doesn't mean many other routes are priced that way.

If Flex+copay = Business-$200, then obviously you'd pay for business, and it's not even worth discussing. The question is when there's a huge price difference.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
trying to determine the indeterminable, but the missus and I are off YYZ-CDG on the 10th Nov and i've gone through the thread trying to guess (cause what else can you do) the average cost from Y to PE if available.

I've seen some mentions of $400+ on YUL-CDG from Tango so i'm going to gauge that as being the starting point?

Anyone have any feedback on recent experiences with this route as I've not got access to the load information so not even sure if they'll offer PE at LMU?!?

Cheers!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
The conspiracy theorist in me wondered, when long-haul co-pay was introduced, whether they were just adding it in as a way to make SEs feel more compelled to retain their status; sort of a double-edged privilege with an implicit threat against dropping below 100K.

...I'd be curious to know what percentage of long-haul e-ups are <50Ks.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by Neil791
trying to determine the indeterminable, but the missus and I are off YYZ-CDG on the 10th Nov and i've gone through the thread trying to guess (cause what else can you do) the average cost from Y to PE if available.

I've seen some mentions of $400+ on YUL-CDG from Tango so i'm going to gauge that as being the starting point?

Anyone have any feedback on recent experiences with this route as I've not got access to the load information so not even sure if they'll offer PE at LMU?!?

Cheers!
As mentioned in the 'main' LMU thread, i was offered at OLCI T-24 (and subsequently T-12) on my YYZ-CDG trip PE for $400 + tax and J for $5600 + tax which is beyond obscene and dare I say damn near criminal!

I fully understand that AC is a business and the primary focus of a business is to generate revenue, but how can they possibly expect anyone in their right minds to pay $5600 for a LMU on the non-stop flight when they can purchase J on YYZ-YUL-CDG for $3500?

I'm sure there's no coincidence that the 'flexible' fare for YYZ-CDG is $5600, but the last time i checked, LMU are not refundable so how can they offer a LMU for the same price as a fully refundable fare?!?

This just confirms that my moving away from AC wherever possible was the right move, and even at 50% mileage accrual to a different *A program I'm still losing nothing by not participating in AeroScam
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

What??

This is taken from the LMU $ thread.

Originally Posted by DLovehall
YYZ to YOW tonight from a Flex fare: $719

Obviously declined.
Is this the most expensive LMU ever? $719 for an hour?

WTH.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
So Lufthansa have rolled out fixed-price LMUs on several TATL routes:

http://lufthansaflyer.boardingarea.c...cluding-first/

YYZ-FRA will be (CAD) $375 from Y-PE, $1350 from Y-J, $975 PE-J and $2100 J-F.

Nice (tiny) bonus, miles awarded will be based on the upgraded fare class.

One can only hope AC takes a cue from this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.