Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
N class is certainly allowed for bid upgrades as I have an N segment from YVR to NRT and I can access the bid upgrade. This could be an IT issue with the bid upgrade system?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by arshi007
Hi all,
I am flying AC from Vancouver to Delhi next month and purchased a ticket in PE with an N fare class. It seems like the N class is not eligible for bid upgrades as I don't seem to be getting an option to make a bid upgrade. I've seen that the business class is fairly empty so was thinking about trying for a LMU when the time comes but I wasn't sure if there is any fare class requirement for LMU ?
My understanding is that LMU is a fixed price regardless of your class of travel (Y or PY) but i wasn't sure if there is any fare class requirement?

Has anyone had success scoring a LMU from an N fare class on international flights?
I suggest you call in to ask about the cost of upfaring from N to P. I have seen this as low as $750 on this route and you get the benefits of a true business class fare.
arshi007 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Hi all,
I am flying AC from Vancouver to Delhi next month and purchased a ticket in PE with an N fare class. It seems like the N class is not eligible for bid upgrades as I don't seem to be getting an option to make a bid upgrade. I've seen that the business class is fairly empty so was thinking about trying for a LMU when the time comes but I wasn't sure if there is any fare class requirement for LMU ?
My understanding is that LMU is a fixed price regardless of your class of travel (Y or PY) but i wasn't sure if there is any fare class requirement?

Has anyone had success scoring a LMU from an N fare class on international flights?
Originally Posted by dr_torch
N class is certainly allowed for bid upgrades as I have an N segment from YVR to NRT and I can access the bid upgrade. This could be an IT issue with the bid upgrade system?
I've always been able to bid from both paid N and AE N fares. And I've been offered LMUs from both if there is space. And I've never (to my recollection) been offered a chance to bid by say email, I just put my booking code and name into the AC website and looked at the options.

How do you know J is empty? EF or the seat map? If you post flight details here someone can probably tell you exactly what space is showing.

LMUs tend to take fare into account. Upfaring from N should be cheaper than an Economy fare. Whether O vs E vs N or whatever alphabet soup is involved in the Y cabin makes a difference I'm not sure.

Definitely worth looking at an upfare cost. Especially if the flight is P9 and relatively soon.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jc94
I've always been able to bid from both paid N and AE N fares. And I've been offered LMUs from both if there is space. And I've never (to my recollection) been offered a chance to bid by say email, I just put my booking code and name into the AC website and looked at the options.

How do you know J is empty? EF or the seat map? If you post flight details here someone can probably tell you exactly what space is showing.

LMUs tend to take fare into account. Upfaring from N should be cheaper than an Economy fare. Whether O vs E vs N or whatever alphabet soup is involved in the Y cabin makes a difference I'm not sure.

Definitely worth looking at an upfare cost. Especially if the flight is P9 and relatively soon.
Thanks for the info, I'm glad to know that N class is eligible for bid upgrade. When I booked the ticket, for whatever reason I could not complete the booking thru the website (it would give me an error at the last step of making the payment). I ended up calling them twice and the second time the CSR said there was some problem getting the seat confirmed so he had to put me on hold for about 30 min, and had to get some other department to release/confirm the seat after which the payment went thru. The actual itinerary is from a DEN-YVR leg in United with the YVR-DEL leg on the 787 PE in N class (DEN-YVR on 13th April and YVR-DEL on 14th morning at 1:15 am). The business class shows practically empty (i'm just looking at the seat map). However when I pull up my reservation on the website, i can select seats and such but bid upgrade is grayed out and shows not eligible
So if its not due to the N class fare, i wonder if its some IT issue since they had problems even booking the seat in the first place.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:43 am

Question

Originally Posted by jasdou

I suggest you call in to ask about the cost of upfaring from N to P. I have seen this as low as $750 on this route and you get the benefits of a true business class fare.
Is that $750 canadian or US ?
I certainly do want to see if i can upgrade. As i mentioned in the post above, for some reason i had to call to book so i'm wondering if that's causing the bid upgrade to show it as "ineligible".
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to know that N class is eligible for bid upgrade. When I booked the ticket, for whatever reason I could not complete the booking thru the website (it would give me an error at the last step of making the payment). I ended up calling them twice and the second time the CSR said there was some problem getting the seat confirmed so he had to put me on hold for about 30 min, and had to get some other department to release/confirm the seat after which the payment went thru. The actual itinerary is from a DEN-YVR leg in United with the YVR-DEL leg on the 787 PE in N class (DEN-YVR on 13th April and YVR-DEL on 14th morning at 1:15 am). The business class shows practically empty (i'm just looking at the seat map). However when I pull up my reservation on the website, i can select seats and such but bid upgrade is grayed out and shows not eligible
So if its not due to the N class fare, i wonder if its some IT issue since they had problems even booking the seat in the first place.
Is that $750 canadian or US ?
I certainly do want to see if i can upgrade. As i mentioned in the post above, for some reason i had to call to book so i'm wondering if that's causing the bid upgrade to show it as "ineligible".
The current difference between Lowest PY and Lowest J on that date for that route is about $1800. Now either I'm seeing the difference between N and P, or E and P, E/Z etc... Given you are on N, the cost to upfare would likely be in excess of $1800. But AC call center can tell you for sure.

In terms of having issues, the AC website being unable to book even basic flights is unfortunately not a new issue. It could be due to the other leg, if you didn't book this as an 014 ticket with AC that would explain it. You said you rang to book, did you call AC or UA?
You can also try just using the bidding page directly rather than via ACs manage my booking which typically loses half it's normal functionality when booking online: https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada?lang=en
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:30 pm

Exclamation

The current difference between Lowest PY and Lowest J on that date for that route is about $1800. Now either I'm seeing the difference between N and P, or E and P, E/Z etc... Given you are on N, the cost to upfare would likely be in excess of $1800. But AC call center can tell you for sure.

In terms of having issues, the AC website being unable to book even basic flights is unfortunately not a new issue. It could be due to the other leg, if you didn't book this as an 014 ticket with AC that would explain it. You said you rang to book, did you call AC or UA?
You can also try just using the bidding page directly rather than via ACs manage my booking which typically loses half it's normal functionality when booking online: https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada?lang=en
I was hoping to do a bid upgrade or eventually a LMU. The ticket is booked as 014 and I had called AC to book it. However I am UA *A Gold so I have my UA number associated with it (not sure if that would make a difference). I did try the direct bidding page and i still get the following screen.

Don't know why it allows me to bid upgrade on the last YVR-DEN leg but not the other two PE legs (which is where i really want to bid)

bid upgrade screenshot
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:40 am

I was hoping to do a bid upgrade or eventually a LMU. The ticket is booked as 014 and I had called AC to book it. However I am UA *A Gold so I have my UA number associated with it (not sure if that would make a difference). I did try the direct bidding page and i still get the following screen.

Don't know why it allows me to bid upgrade on the last YVR-DEN leg but not the other two PE legs (which is where i really want to bid)

bid upgrade screenshot
I would recommend phoning AC.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:39 am

I would recommend phoning AC.
So I reached out to AC through facebook messaging (the call wait times were just crazy) and the response i received was that all flights to/from India are ineligible for bid upgrade. That just seems weird but they make the rules. Was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
LMU on YYC-YYZ

Anyone know the current range of rates offered for LMU's on the YYC-YYZ route?

Flying out sunday night on 158. Looks like it has both PY and J
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax

Probably varies based on your current fare class, Basic vs Comfort etc. Or Standard if Basic doesnt even allow LMUs...
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax

I am not sure if acceptance of your bid or whether LMU will be offered is necessarily tied to availability. I have one interesting experience a few weeks ago and I emphasize that this is a sample of one only.
Flight distance is about 2 hours on an A320.
I submitted a bid at minimum plus $10.
At T-50h, my bid status was still pending, EF was showing J5 P4 Y9.
At T-36h, I received the e-mail advising my bid was rejected. EF still showing J5 P4 but Y8.
I surmised that no bid was accepted since there was no change to availability.
At T-24h, check-in opened. EF still showing J5 P4 Y8. No LMU was offered for purchase.
At T-12h, EF still showing J5 P4 but Y4. Again, no LMU was offered and I checked in. Upgrade waitlist consisted of 6 passengers. No green tick.
At T-3h, I arrived at the airport to print the luggage tag and checked LMU upgrade at the kiosk. None was offered. I did not check EF.
Flight departed full in both Y and J.
Unless EF is incorrect, I was surprised that my bid was rejected and no LMU was offered with J5 P4 up to T-12h when I last checked.
One no. that I wouldn't know was the actual no. of bidders.

Last edited by Clipper801; Aug 26, 2019 at 9:58 am
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: AC*E35
Flying YVRYUL roundtrip this Fri/Monday
Using a flight pass M flex booking code
Offered bid upgrade with minimum 370 each way.

Now recently I flew the same route and saw the bid upgrade minimum ended up being higher than the LMU upgrade offered at check in but was significantly higher. I've never seen a 370 before.

I wonder what the chances the LMU will be lower than 370? Im assuming the lower threshold is offered since I have a higher fare code than standard or low flex...
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
AC158 last night. (Dreamliner)

T-24 - no offer
T-12 - no offer
T-6 - no offer
T-1 - offer. To PY $241. To J - $579.

Flight left 60% full, and both front cabins weren't even half full.

Had I been given the offer earlier I would have taken it, but given that I was close to takeoff, had already had a few drinks and knew I was just going to pass out, I skipped the offer.

Datapoint - this was actually on a AP ticket!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: AC E75K
AC825 AMS-YYZ O -> J LMU offered at EUR 585.

Frustratingly, my bank was trying to contact me to confirm the transaction on my credit card, but because I'm currently inflight with internet, I got the e-mail too late. By the time I sorted it out, the same LMU is now at EUR 1314, which is too steep for a daytime flight.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 7, 2019 at 8:15 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.