Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by skybluesea
good thing my new Bose headset arrived
These headphones were not enough to drown out the loud squeals from a child sitting away from her parents in business class. I think they were fairly last minute upgrades because the 2 parents and 2 kids were all separated. SD did her best to ask people to trade seats and put them closer together. But the youngest child (about age 7) was seated in a malfunctioned seat (with sticker over seat control panel) so that didn’t help. SD asked the child if she felt ok to sit alone and she said yes.

Anyway, said child didn’t know how to buckle the seatbelt and yelled for her mom. This was one of two times I saw the mom attend to the child (flight was 6.5 hours). Otherwise the kindly SD and FAs attended to her multiple needs.

In one circumstance she dropped and broke her glass of juice, and the blanket was soaked. An FA cleaned up the aisle of the glass - the parents were none the wiser.

Throughout the flight, she would try to speak to her brother and mom by kneeling on her seat to face them, until SD told her she shouldn’t be so loud (in a very kind way). She then proceeded to whisper loudly. She kept pressing the flight attendant call button, until one FA explained what that button was for. She kept turning the seat lights on and off (this was late evening flight). She was obviously bored and was left on her own to keep entertained. She did try to watch a move and play games on the IFE but these were not enough. She finally fell asleep as we got close to our destination - hooray!

i don’t fault a child, of course. But I do feel that her parents should check on her more often if they are unable to sit near by. And they can give her some stuff to do on the flight to keep her occupied.

To top it off, this flight had other children in business class as well - a young toddler (appropriately seated on her own with parents behind and across) and a baby who cried loudly but at least the (same) parents were trying to soothe and placate to minimize noise by their children.

I told the SD she had her patience of a saint to deal with the child whose parents did not attend to their own child.
skybluesea and quantumofforce like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:28 pm

What do y'all think about this one: people who grab the back of your seat every time they sit down and get up? Personally, I hate it, especially if I'm trying to sleep. The whole seat back moves violently back and forth, up and down. Of course, this is mainly a Y issue.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:49 pm
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
Originally Posted by musicmtl
What do y'all think about this one: people who grab the back of your seat every time they sit down and get up? Personally, I hate it, especially if I'm trying to sleep. The whole seat back moves violently back and forth, up and down. Of course, this is mainly a Y issue.
yup I hate that. I have one really bad knee and I do everything in my power to avoid pulling on the seat in front of me. So far I’ve managed to not bother anyone

I understand that some folks have no choice because of physical problems but they should at least be considerate at advise the pax in the seat being yanked. The seat yanker should at least apologised for doing that.
musicmtl likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 2:10 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Agree, but also issue in PE, so wherever possible I get last row - and yes, remarkably rude, and could be done without jerking seat or pulling back then letting go...how about ease off the pressure so doesn't cause head bounce...seriously...
You’re right. It wouldn’t take a lot of effort to be polite or considerate. Not just on planes, of course, but it’s amazing how little some people think about other people that may be around them.
skybluesea and Queen B like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by musicmtl
Remarkably, I've had my seat yanked on when in a pod. I mean, there is OODLES of room to get out. It's not as disruptive to the seat when you're in a pod of course but it can still be felt.
skybluesea, D404 and musicmtl like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:34 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Remarkably, I've had my seat yanked on when in a pod. I mean, there is OODLES of room to get out. It's not as disruptive to the seat when you're in a pod of course but it can still be felt.
Me too.

I've had people grab my head rest as they get up / down. I suspect it is when their seat back is not vertical and they can't figure out how to get out.
skybluesea likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Core strength is not a noted feature of the current population of North America. A lot of really out of shape people use their arms to pull themselves out of a seat.
Yeah, it sucks. And deserves a pointed comment the second time it happens.
skybluesea, Plumber and jerry305 like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
Plumber and rickg523 like this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 2:10 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by 24left
And this shaving continued and no pax or cabin crew said anything?

Perfect candidate for "Passenger Shaming bingo"
https://www.facebook.com/PassengerSh...type=1&theater
Like PC, are we going a bit too far in the " I am offended by....). Electric shaver...give us a break.
Also maybe he did not want to go to the lav as it may involve stepping over other pax ?
Badenoch likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by HMPS
Like PC, are we going a bit too far in the " I am offended by....). Electric shaver...give us a break.
Also maybe he did not want to go to the lav as it may involve stepping over other pax ?
@HMPS

Not sure why you're picking on @24left in that s/he is responding to the OP with some fun tongue-in-cheek.
In fact, your post would apply to this entire thread. Everyone has their gripes, and some will/may agree/disagree with them, especially the "severity" and "nature" of said "behavio(u)r". That's what this thread is for.
But if you do have an issue, you can always use the Report a Bad Post (RBP) button and alert the mods. Heck, you can even report a bad thread.

Paging @Premiere Elite - YEG!
lallied and jasdou like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@HMPS

Not sure why you're picking on @24left in that s/he is responding to the OP with some fun tongue-in-cheek.
In fact, your post would apply to this entire thread. Everyone has their gripes, and some will/may agree/disagree with them, especially the "severity" and "nature" of said "behavio(u)r". That's what this thread is for.
But if you do have an issue, you can always use the Report a Bad Post (RBP) button and alert the mods. Heck, you can even report a bad thread.

Paging @Premiere Elite - YEG!
NOT picking on a person ! The whole culture / society is FORCING OTHERS into what some / few think is not Politically Correct, wanting to change narratives. So pls relax, as you said you think it was a bad post, more power to you, report or ignore.
Understand "severity" & "nature" are relative. Impacts depend on the personality of the reader /viewer, threshold of limits.
Bottom line: Life is too short to worry about minute details or assumed slights.
Good reading & posting.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
NOT picking on a person ! The whole culture / society is FORCING OTHERS into what some / few think is not Politically Correct, wanting to change narratives. So pls relax, as you said you think it was a bad post, more power to you, report or ignore.
Understand "severity" & "nature" are relative. Impacts depend on the personality of the reader /viewer, threshold of limits.
Bottom line: Life is too short to worry about minute details or assumed slights.
Good reading & posting.
@HMPS

Yes, we agree!
Yes, life is too short to chastise/admonish others who post about the "insignificant" things!
canopus27 and lallied like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
NOT picking on a person ! The whole culture / society is FORCING OTHERS into what some / few think is not Politically Correct, wanting to change narratives.
At times it does seem that way but my perspective is that sites like this give the passive aggressive a platform to anonymously complain about conduct or situations when they lack the personal self-assurance to do something in the moment. They've always been in a state of agitation about the conduct of others but before the Internet we didn't know they existed.

It is entirely possible that my conduct has offended someone at some point. I am disinclined to modify my behavior to accommodate every single on-line prissy-pants. I intend to abide by the standard of conduct that is acceptable to me. If someone doesn't like it they can complain to the closest available authority or if feeling sufficiently self-confident can raise it with me directly.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
At times it does seem that way but my perspective is that sites like this give the passive aggressive a platform to anonymously complain about conduct or situations when they lack the personal self-assurance to do something in the moment. They've always been in a state of agitation about the conduct of others but before the Internet we didn't know they existed.

It is entirely possible that my conduct has offended someone at some point. I am disinclined to modify my behavior to accommodate every single on-line prissy-pants. I intend to abide by the standard of conduct that is acceptable to me. If someone doesn't like it they can complain to the closest available authority or if feeling sufficiently self-confident can raise it with me directly.
On the other hand, I've actually learned that some of the things I do are annoying to others, and since changing my behavior had a neutral impact on myself, I've stopped that behavior.

Window shade etiquette is an example of a contentious issue that you're never going to get mass agreement on. But never reusing a plate in a "buffet" (i.e. MLL) is something I had simply never considered as a problem until reading about it on FT. And now I don't do it. All because of "anonymous" complaints here.

So I disagree with you. Just because someone doesn't have the confidence to approach me directly, or talk to an employee about me, doesn't mean they shouldn't voice their opinions here. If the opinion is reasonable, and others agree, and I agree, you'll likely see a change in my behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.