Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:57 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
The last long haul I was on, I was seated in one the A seats in J on a 777. About 30 minutes into the flight I got up to use the WC. As I was picking my way back to my seat, I got stopped waiting for one of the FAs to deal with something in the aisle. As I waited the person across the aisle and slightly behind my seat was very skillfully removing her bra without taking her short sleeved sweater thing off. The unmentionable just kinda emerged from one of her sleeves and was quickly stuffed into a bag (I presume) in her footwell.

Although I tried hard not to stare, given the very brightly coloured and patterned undergarment it was tough to miss. While I'm not sure how I would have felt if this was someone I was sitting right next to in 2X2 J or a Y seat, I had no real issue with this. She was just getting comfortable in a warm cabin and possibly felt the WC would been too constricting to attempt such a manoeuver.

What do others think - is this bad behavior or totally acceptable?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
The last long haul I was on, I was seated in one the A seats in J on a 777. About 30 minutes into the flight I got up to use the WC. As I was picking my way back to my seat, I got stopped waiting for one of the FAs to deal with something in the aisle. As I waited the person across the aisle and slightly behind my seat was very skillfully removing her bra without taking her short sleeved sweater thing off. The unmentionable just kinda emerged from one of her sleeves and was quickly stuffed into a bag (I presume) in her footwell.

Although I tried hard not to stare, given the very brightly coloured and patterned undergarment it was tough to miss. While I'm not sure how I would have felt if this was someone I was sitting right next to in 2X2 J or a Y seat, I had no real issue with this. She was just getting comfortable in a warm cabin and possibly felt the WC would been too constricting to attempt such a manoeuver.

Is a bra unmentionable? Is it OK to stare?

(I guess I could come up more more questions actually...)
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Depends on how "brightly coloured and patterned" the item was.

I’ve done it on TPACs. The lavs were occupied, there were lines and I just wanted to get to sleep. Those of us skilled is such manoeuvres cause no disruption in cabin service - at least none that I noticed.

P.S. Removing unmentionables that have underwires requires slightly different skills.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But what about putting it back on?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:22 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
Depends on how "brightly coloured and patterned" the item was.
Electric fuchsia and black splotchy pattern. And the whole process was over in about 10-15 seconds, maybe less.

What probably caught my attention first was her left arm out in the aisle - I thought she was coming my way to use the WC. Apparently not.

I guess I should just keep my head bowed down and eyes on the floor in the future lest I run afoul of any RCHHMP.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I should just keep my head bowed down and eyes on the floor in the future lest I run afoul of any RCHHMP.
My view would be it's for people not to show rather than for people not to look.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
While I hate having to smell this stuff, I've been reading this topic for the last 24 hours, and I can't come up with a reasonable argument.

"I don't like it" is not reasonable.

And that seems to be the main argument here.
It gives me a sore throat, headache, and sometimes a runny nose. I don't like that.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
Big difference between " I don't like it" and "Nobody likes it".
Not so much between "Most/many people don't like it" and "Nobody likes it".
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.

Its all good. she was probably waiting for you to leave so she could do this in (relative) privacy. I doubt anyone would pull this off ( heh.. geddit ? ) sitting in Y.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Removing a bra in a discrete and unceremonious manner in an airplane seat or in any public place in which one is sequestered for many hours is perfectly ok and within the bounds of reason. If I were sitting next to her, I would have leaned aside to allow her the maximum amount of wiggle room. I'm just thankful I have little use for such a garment. Verdict: totally acceptable.

Originally Posted by 24left
I think CZAMflyer just doesn't agree with my intense dislike of perfumes etc onboard an aircraft. I am certainly not the only one. I've had a few "exuberant" posts and well, it clearly matters to me more than others.
Not quite. I don't disagree with anybody's preferences; those are individual and we are all entitled to our own. I do disagree with the characterization of people about whom we know nothing, as idiots or self-absorbed. Perhaps the 'clueless' description may be apt, as some folks have little concept of how to ensure minimal disruption to those around them. We see these people all the time at work, on the roads, essentially everywhere we go. Such is life when there are seven billion other people sharing our blue ball.

I have sympathy for those allergic to scents or foods; I'm very lucky not to be allergic or particularly sensitive to either. I haven't seen an indication that anyone on this forum is allergic or suffers adverse physical reactions. Sure, some people apply too much perfume and it can smell strong. Some people apply too much makeup. Some dress inappropriately. Some eat strong smelling foods in close quarters or drink too much alcohol in public or smell like cigarettes or a high body odour. None of this is particularly pleasant and I'm sure we all prefer not to smell anybody's anything at all. But I stop short of seething or labeling these offenders as anything beyond 'possibly inconsiderate'.

If we want to leave the sanctity of our own homes, we're going have to be exposed to real life and all the sights, sounds and smells this entails. When sitting in an airplane with 300 other people for a dozen hours, don't be surprised to see/hear/smell something you don't enjoy. Chances are high that at least one of those 300 people doesn't like something about us. So we can look elsewhere, put on headphones, or redirect the overhead air vent. Zen out, be mindful, find our happy places. Or...be angry and assume these people are idiots.

There's a distinction between being inconsiderate and behaving badly. Somebody else preferring something that we don't is neither of the above.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by smallmj
It gives me a sore throat, headache, and sometimes a runny nose. I don't like that.
@smallmj

Might I suggest you go to an allergist and have this formally tested because if this is a medical condition, you can contact the AirCanada medical desk and they will make provision for your seating

Last edited by skybluesea; Sep 30, 2018 at 3:25 pm Reason: @
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea

if you spend any amount of time near the equator, and especially where humidity runs near 100% all the time like here in Singapore this week, even showering twice a day won’t overcome outside conditions.

AC flies to plenty of places where your definition of hygiene is just plain quaint + I routinely do +20 hour journeys and where possible I might get a shower done in between, but I can afford business class to get to shower, and not everyone are in these circumstances.

PS… Check out history of perfume as people believed the bathing too much was not a good thing
having lived in the tropics, scent free better not mean no deodorant, or I would just not comply.

I am pretty sure adding an extra round of deodorant or two is not what offends 99% of the people complaining on this topic .
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by karachi
Its all good. she was probably waiting for you to leave so she could do this in (relative) privacy. I doubt anyone would pull this off ( heh.. geddit ? ) sitting in Y.
In Y on a Rouge 319.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 6:42 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by vernonc
In Y on a Rouge 319.
OK - I want to hear that story. I'm guessing a flight from a sun destination and alcohol was involved ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.