Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Queen B
(sigh) Must have been their 1st time in J.

You can't buy class but you can buy J tickets.

Maybe a "how to behave" brochure on the J seats would be sufficient ? ;-)
It seems whenever I read articles of people misbehaving on an airplane, they are disproportionately frequent business-class flyers. One can't differentiate between socio-economic and cabin classes by peoples' behaviour.

Maybe Seth Rogen should start recording his 'transit conduct' messages for playing in the MLL.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It seems whenever I read articles of people misbehaving on an airplane, they are disproportionately frequent business-class flyers. One can't differentiate between socio-economic and cabin classes by peoples' behaviour.
Or maybe the people who feel offended are mostly in J?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
This couple were not business travellers by any remote means or indicators. Everyone in the cabin heard every word both of them spoke and there were enough details to know that while they paid for J, they would be perfect candidates to receive one of those fantasy brochures “How to Behave in Business Class” and to be clear to anyone else, these 2 were not drunk before they boarded. They were just obnoxious.

Also I did enjoy a few “therapeutic” moments by giving the husband the glare of death. His eyes looked like they understood, but his brain and body clearly were clearly not recipients of any clues.

Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by 24left

This couple were not business travellers by any remote means or indicators. Everyone in the cabin heard every word both of them spoke and there were enough details to know that while they paid for J, they would be perfect candidates to receive one of those fantasy brochures “How to Behave in Business Class” and to be clear to anyone else, these 2 were not drunk before they boarded. They were just obnoxious.

Also I did enjoy a few “therapeutic” moments by giving the husband the glare of death. His eyes looked like they understood, but his brain and body clearly were clearly not recipients of any clues.

Maybe you should have offered them baked goods if they shut up!!!
jasdou and DNAwizard like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Let’s be honest, how to behave on a plane might be a better subject. It’s not like Y pax are much better behaved. Though I’ve never seen someone shaving in Y.

Additional booklets in how to board (and unboard ) a plane, behave in an airport lounge, use a public or aircraft washroom, consume goods from a buffet etc... would also be welcome.

Articles for ACs onboard magazine?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Maybe you should have offered them baked goods if they shut up!!!
Lol, um, nope. I don't reward bad behaviour.
Queen B likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
YOW - YYZ yesterday, J cabin: prior to pullback, my seatmate first uses a heavily perfumed hand lotion. I'm not overly sensitive, but ugh. Gets worse: out comes the nail polish. And it is pungent. We pull back, she keeps at it, finally puts it away when we're about to take off. Five minutes later, out it comes again. I'm leaning away from her to get away from the smell.

Big kudos to the flight attendant who told her she can't do that on a plane.
canadiancow and DNAwizard like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PB53x11
YOW - YYZ yesterday, J cabin: prior to pullback, my seatmate first uses a heavily perfumed hand lotion. I'm not overly sensitive, but ugh. Gets worse: out comes the nail polish. And it is pungent. We pull back, she keeps at it, finally puts it away when we're about to take off. Five minutes later, out it comes again. I'm leaning away from her to get away from the smell.

Big kudos to the flight attendant who told her she can't do that on a plane.
What will it take for airlines to introduce a no scent policy?

BTW on the same vein, am I the only one offended by having to walk through this foul-smelling supermarket (perfume section) at nearly every airport?

Likewise I am now reluctant using Uber since that time I ended up with a heavily scented driver. Sticking to cabs and airport limos for now.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger

BTW on the same vein, am I the only one offended by having to walk through this foul-smelling supermarket (perfume section) at nearly every airport?

Likewise I am now reluctant using Uber since that time I ended up with a heavily scented driver. Sticking to cabs and airport limos for now.
YUL TB? Ugh. Obnoxious enough one needs to walk the gauntlet of expensive trinkets, but nauseating trinkets to boot.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Gets worse: out comes the nail polish. And it is pungent. We pull back, she keeps at it, finally puts it away when we're about to take off. Five minutes later, out it comes again. I'm leaning away from her to get away from the smell.
Even without a no-scent policy, not bringing out the nail polish (or remover) in an enclosed space should be common sense. Not many people enjoy the bracing smell of acetone, least of all in close quarters like a plane.

Definitely in the "hold your nose and run" camp over here.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:04 pm

Are these scent complaints (acetone aside) due to legitimate allergies or delicate sensibilities?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are these scent complaints (acetone aside) due to legitimate allergies or delicate sensibilities?
Isn't it reasonable to expect people not to inflict unpleasant odors on others? That the perfumed person likes his/her scent does by no means imply that I should like it. Basically not so different than farting, except that sometimes that may be a bit harder to control.
canadiancow and smallmj like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Seriously?

Let me remind you of this nonsense

Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:53 pm

Isn't it reasonable to expect people not to inflict unpleasant odors on others? That the perfumed person likes his/her scent does by no means imply that I should like it. Basically not so different than farting, except that sometimes that may be a bit harder to control.
Well it's a slippery slope you imply. Shaving, toenail clipping, propping bare feet on the armrest in front of you and similar actions are generally considered socially unacceptable. Applying lotions or perfumes are not. I understand a no-scent policy if allergies are common enough to warrant a concern. I don't subscribe to "oh, cuz I don't like it". Hey, we all dislike a lot of things, and if we abide by that broad guideline when flying, none of us would board due to one disqualifying reason or another.

Originally Posted by 24left
Seriously?

Let me remind you of this nonsense
Quite the rant indeed. But didn't answer the question. It merely implies that people who wear scents you might not like are "idiots", "self-absorbed" and "clueless".

But are they?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shaving, toenail clipping, propping bare feet on the armrest in front of you and similar actions are generally considered socially unacceptable. Applying lotions or perfumes are not.
Really? There are now many places especially in the health business with a no scent policy. I still remember the time when inflicting second hand smoke on people was socially acceptable; these things are changing quickly. I submit that what you are hearing in this thread is that perfume is rapidly moving out of the socially acceptable envelope.

BTW I don't think my wife has been using perfume for maybe 15 or 20 years by now, and definitely not on a plane. Anyway, my perception is that we are moving quickly in a direction whereby using perfume characterizes peasant bimbos. Male or female . But eh, that's the Trump world I guess. Maybe they should fly WS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.