Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC named in 'overpricing conspiracy' lawsuit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC named in 'overpricing conspiracy' lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by SFO777
Yeah, I'm sure that will work well. If you really think the oil companies are to blame, how you do explain cheap US prices vs. not so cheap prices in most provinces? Perhaps you meant a class action suit against your own government(s) for sky high fuel and sales taxes.
U.S. companies have been charging Canadian more for goods and services for years. Maybe time for the CDN government to look into this problem.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
U.S. companies have been charging Canadian more for goods and services for years. Maybe time for the CDN government to look into this problem.
Exactly what does that have to do with high Canadian fuel taxes imposed by your own governments?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Or you could start a lawsuit?
AC lost is case when it cheated freight customers by overcharging, was this from customer complaints or govt?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by why fly
Or you could start a lawsuit?
AC lost is case when it cheated freight customers by overcharging, was this from customer complaints or govt?
Why, that would be your job.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:17 am

Indeed. That's why they introduced the price transparency act last year. Don't think it ever became law though.

Granted, once the loonie tanked, it became moot.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yulred
Indeed. That's why they introduced the price transparency act last year. Don't think it ever became law though.

Granted, once the loonie tanked, it became moot.
I am not a proponent for Govt regulations, however, clearly we need a lot more rules to protect people from the abusive practices of AC.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:27 pm
Suspended

I am not a proponent for Govt regulations, however, clearly we need a lot more rules to protect people from the abusive practices of AC.
So you want higher fares? No thank you. If you want space, pay for it. It is very simple. If you want cheap fares, well you get what you pay for. Governments never make anything better.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
So you want higher fares? No thank you. If you want space, pay for it. It is very simple. If you want cheap fares, well you get what you pay for. Governments never make anything better.
Please read the comment again, and perhaps several times if you do not understand:

Abusive practices do not equate with low fares. Examples of abusive practices are price fixing/collusion, intentional overbooking of flights with pax who paid for a ticket getting bumped, failure to honor the intent of the carriage of trade agreement, failure to ensure that disabled pax are treated with respect etc.

I want space and do pay for it. However, I also expect the airline not to take advantage of me which is something all airlines do in Canada because Canada is one of the few remaining jurisdictions in the western world where airline consumers are not protected from unfair business practices.

So governments never make anything better eh? Well, it seems they did for millions when they brought in old age pensions and workers compensation. Those pesky governments seem to have made live better with regulations regarding consumer rights in respect to retail transactions. The airline sector is one of the few remaining sectors in Canada where it is open season on consumers because the airline sector to a large extent is self regulating . How anyone can have confidence that the public's interest is looked after by the likes of SunWing, Air Transat, Air Canada etc. is beyond me.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Please read the comment again, and perhaps several times if you do not understand:

Abusive practices do not equate with low fares. Examples of abusive practices are price fixing/collusion, intentional overbooking of flights with pax who paid for a ticket getting bumped, failure to honor the intent of the carriage of trade agreement, failure to ensure that disabled pax are treated with respect etc.

I want space and do pay for it. However, I also expect the airline not to take advantage of me which is something all airlines do in Canada because Canada is one of the few remaining jurisdictions in the western world where airline consumers are not protected from unfair business practices.

So governments never make anything better eh? Well, it seems they did for millions when they brought in old age pensions and workers compensation. Those pesky governments seem to have made live better with regulations regarding consumer rights in respect to retail transactions. The airline sector is one of the few remaining sectors in Canada where it is open season on consumers because the airline sector to a large extent is self regulating . How anyone can have confidence that the public's interest is looked after by the lik
es of SunWing, Air Transat, Air Canada etc. is beyond me.
We have different options on this. If you think the airline sector is the only few remaining sector that is open season on consumers, I will always disagree with you on this. Look at the margins, airlines are lucky to 5%, clothing margins are around 45% to 55%. Designer clothing around 85%. Coffee - 95 %, Apple - 80%. Banks, ? Don't know, but I would say higher than airlines.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:30 pm

We have different options on this. If you think the airline sector is the only few remaining sector that is open season on consumers, I will always disagree with you on this. Look at the margins, airlines are lucky to 5%, clothing margins are around 45% to 55%. Designer clothing around 85%. Coffee - 95 %, Apple - 80%. Banks, ? Don't know, but I would say higher than airlines.
The fruit? Because Apple just annouced their margins 2 days ago as being 39.68%... much higher than airlines yes. But at 80% I'd be into Apple stock...
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
The fruit? Because Apple just annouced their margins 2 days ago as being 39.68%... much higher than airlines yes. But at 80% I'd be into Apple stock...
That's there market price to wholesale price. They did not advise first cost to retail price. IPad first cost to be est. to be $35. Last time I looked, they do not sell them for $50.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Governments never make anything better.
Yet you want the government to investigate high Canadian fuel prices and US corporate price gouging in Canada.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:02 pm
Suspended

No I am excited the govt will catch AC, AGAIN cheating customers. Remember the Freight scam, well perhaps AC has got another collusion going, with other airlines to fix passenger tickets.

Since we know that AC cheated once, don't you think it would be worth looking into the possibility they are doing it again?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

No I am excited the govt will catch AC, AGAIN cheating customers. Remember the Freight scam, well perhaps AC has got another collusion going, with other airlines to fix passenger tickets.

Since we know that AC cheated once, don't you think it would be worth looking into the possibility they are doing it again?
Exactly... once a cheater always a cheater

DHL Targets Air Canada With $2B Cargo Price-Fixing Suit

"Though Air Canada has never pled guilty in the U.S. Department of Justice's criminal investigation into the plot, it did agree to pay $7.5 million to settle price-fixing claims with direct purchasers in 2012. DHL, however, opted out of that settlement and said Tuesday that it paid far more in overcharges both to Air Canada and other air cargo carriers as a result of the cartel."

http://www.law360.com/articles/49025...ce-fixing-suit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.