Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What is business class I fare rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX, AEROPLAN

I am looking for redemption of AP and it comes out a class I instead of class J that most people talked about.

What is the fare rule for class I?

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
As far as I know, there is no " fare rule" for I class - only Aeroplan redemption rules
that would apply, or the rules of whatever program you are redeemimg points for
an AC I class ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

just wonder if will be treated same as J class. Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What do you mean?

You'll be seated in the J cabin. It's not a fully flexible, switch-to-any-flight J fare.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:33 pm

I is a business class fare class which requires one or more segment of an itinerary confirmed in I inventory, and the remaining segments confirmed in X (Economy Class Reward) at the time of booking (waitlisting is not allowed, the entire booking must always be confirmed!). Seat selection and 2 bags are complimentary, as is MLL access. For AC-only itineraries, it allows for same-day waitlisting for business class at no extra charge. Upgrades are prohibited. It allows for free same day changes. Only refundable to Aeroplan points if duly cancelled in the specified period prior to travel upon payment of the appropriate fee. Not eligible for any frequent flyer points or voluntary downgrade compensation. Also, non-transferrable, non-endorsable (ie: you can't just take your Aeroplan ticket to another airline and fly -- but you can do this with a paid full-J ticket). Change fees as well.

All of this makes up the Aeroplan T&C which is available on their website at various places or on the ticket .pdf as issued.

Last edited by pitz; Jul 9, 2015 at 11:40 pm
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by onlycat
just wonder if will be treated same as J class. Thanks
Yes, its a business class ticket. The amenities, the baggage allowance, on-board experience, etc. are identical. From a soft customer service point of view, nobody should treat you any differently than someone who paid the big bucks for a full-J ticket. What isn't identical to a full-J is the flexibility -- flexibility in booking, flexibility in changing your plans, flexibility in terms of getting a refund if you don't cancel.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
Yes, its a business class ticket. The amenities, the baggage allowance, on-board experience, etc. are identical. From a soft customer service point of view, nobody should treat you any differently than someone who paid the big bucks for a full-J ticket. What isn't identical to a full-J is the flexibility -- flexibility in booking, flexibility in changing your plans, flexibility in terms of getting a refund if you don't cancel.
thanks for the answers! this is exactly what I want to ask about.

I found BCN-ZRH-YUL-YVR on AP, and they are all in Class I. If I want to change/cancel the flight. Can I still get the points back? I remembered all post I have read mentioned Class J is "refundable" to the AP for booking/changing the booking within 1 year.

Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by onlycat
thanks for the answers! this is exactly what I want to ask about.

I found BCN-ZRH-YUL-YVR on AP, and they are all in Class I. If I want to change/cancel the flight. Can I still get the points back? I remembered all post I have read mentioned Class J is "refundable" to the AP for booking/changing the booking within 1 year.

Thanks
https://www4.aeroplan.com/terms_and_...rtCookie=false

REFUNDING CLASSICFLIGHT AND MARKET FARE FLIGHT REWARDS

36. Unused and valid flight rewards may be refunded and miles reinstated up to 22 days before the scheduled date of departure. A C$90.00 fee plus taxes per ticket will apply. This fee is non-refundable.

CHANGING/CANCELLING CLASSICFLIGHT AND MARKET FARE FLIGHT REWARDS RESERVATIONS

37. Changes to unused flight rewards (i.e. flight date(s), flight time(s), class of service, routing and/or itinerary) may be made up to a minimum of two hours prior to departure. A fee of C$90.00 plus taxes per ticket. This fee is non-refundable.
So basically how I read those terms is that if you cancel within 22 days, you get all your points back for $90. If you don't cancel within 22 days, you can rebook up to 2 hours prior to departure, pay $90, and then pay another $90 to ultimately cancel for a points refund providing the new flights are > 22 days away.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in this interpretation; I haven't done this for a while.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It allows for free same day changes.
Uhhh no.

It allows free standby on segments operated by AC. Other airlines are hit or miss.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:26 am
Original Poster

So basically how I read those terms is that if you cancel within 22 days, you get all your points back for $90. If you don't cancel within 22 days, you can rebook up to 2 hours prior to departure, pay $90, and then pay another $90 to ultimately cancel for a points refund providing the new flights are > 22 days away.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in this interpretation; I haven't done this for a while.
thanks for the findings
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold

My understanding is you cannot cancel within 22 days of departure. Cancel MORE than 22 days before departure by paying CAD$90 and get back your points + taxes and YQ.

But a work-around is that you when you are within 22 days of departure, you can move the departure date to more than 22 days away by paying CAD$90, then cancel it by paying another CAD$90 and get all your points + taxes and YQ back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.