Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Brisbane to become AC's second Australian destination in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brisbane to become AC's second Australian destination in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
This route works for me as well.^
I wish the northbound times departed later so I could get more sleep.
I guess connections and a/c utilization are more important!
Does NZ have a lounge in BNE?
NZ and SQ are the two *A lounges in BNE. They're both average and get the job done; nothing spectacular like these two airlines' new SYD lounges.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by tracon
This route works for me as well.^
I wish the northbound times departed later so I could get more sleep.
I guess connections and a/c utilization are more important!
Does NZ have a lounge in BNE?
NZ and SQ both have a lounge in BNE.

Looks like SQ is only open at select times throughout the day according to their departing flight times.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Great news!^

(though I'd be even happier if the route were operated by the 789 or the 77L instead of the 788)
maybe not the 789 has a horrid ratio of J seats (38 J seats) to Y seats so upgrades would be difficult.

Last edited by why fly; Jul 8, 2015 at 10:08 am
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by why fly
maybe not the 789 has a horrid ratio of J seats (38 J seats) to Y seats so upgrades would be difficult.
The 789 has 30 J seats, and while the ratio isn't great either, I'd still think upgrading on the 789 would be easier than on the 788 since the number of paid J pax isn't directly related to the size of the aircraft.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Sebring
From what I've read, that's even beyond the range of the 777-200LR models AC flies. The only aircraft that can fly YYZ-SYD nonstop is the 777-200LR in an all-passenger configuration, where most or all of the cargo space is converted to extra fuel tanks (a significant retrofit cost if you don't buy the planes from the factory like that). I'm not sure if any airline in the world has done that with the 200LR. It makes for an 18hour flight, which would mean a lot of extra crew cost. So no cargo, extra operating costs, etc. The route wouldn't be premium enough to make any money, and not prestige enough to justify the losses.
Any airline management in this day and age that flies a money losing route for "prestige" purposes needs to fired by the board post haste.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HangTen
Any airline management in this day and age that flies a money losing route for "prestige" purposes needs to fired by the board post haste.
Nah, you just use the more sophisticated software to allocate revenues and costs differently so that the route suddenly becomes profitable.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by soorox
Quite bummed that it wasn't MEL, but a 2nd service to Australia is definitely welcomed ! ^
I'm a bit surprised that it wasn't MEL. I thought that was on the radar for the next destination.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
I would of preferred YVR-OOL. Most tourists are heading to the Gold Coast as soon as they arrive anyways.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Heffeh41
I would of preferred YVR-OOL. Most tourists are heading to the Gold Coast as soon as they arrive anyways.
The train which arrives right outside the BNE international terminal is quite convenient and gets to Gold Coast in just over an hour for a fair price. I wonder if OOL runway would be long enough... But that would kiss any premium traffic goodbye. 14.5hr low yield, not happening.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by yvr76
I'm a bit surprised that it wasn't MEL. I thought that was on the radar for the next destination.
Too much for the -8 to handle with reliable/meaningful payload.

I think AC was kind of stuck here. Go to MEL with the -9 as there is more demand but your service is on top of your close partner exLAX ... OR ... Reach BNE w/ the -8 but there is lower demand from Canada.

AC must be expecting some feed from our friends South of the border on this one. Just wonder how much they will get and how much exCanada SYD traffic this new service will cannibalize.

Far from a slam dunk IMO. Good luck to AC, nice to see them opening new routes the 788 was bought for.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Would've preferred MEL, but whatever. SYD MEL on VA biz is not bad.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:23 am

What? So you want AC to fly rouge instead?

I can just picture it now; an AC787 deplaning to the tarmac parked besides the like of jetstar, tigerair, virgin 737s and A320s...
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by HangTen
I agree! YYCLGW might fit that bill in due time!

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
BTW, when are they going to fly YYZ - SYD or YYZ - BNE non-stop ?
Shortly after never

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 8, 2015 at 11:45 am Reason: merge separate posts
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by hearna
What? So you want AC to fly rouge instead?

I can just picture it now; an AC787 deplaning to the tarmac parked besides the like of jetstar, tigerair, virgin 737s and A320s...
Lolz, I was thinking that in my head when posting. Don't give AC any suggestions.

I assume the runway is long enough. JQ flies OOL-NRT on a 787 daily I believe.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
The mission of the appropriately configured 787 is to serve secondary unserved/underserved markets and Brisbane has been rumoured for a while. With UA as a long time resident of MEL, no overlapping nor cannibalizing of routes.

OOL while a nice thought is highly seasonal, highly tourist traffic, a tertiary market and in the most unlikely of wild cards - a Rouge destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.