Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Brisbane to become AC's second Australian destination in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brisbane to become AC's second Australian destination in 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Their PY and J cabins are mostly near empty for most dates so far. I thought they might have had a really good sale for the premium cabins to kick start things but I guess that would just hurt the YVR-SYD flights.
And yet, the day I wanted was J0
Old May 6, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And yet, the day I wanted was J0
Yeah, that's really unlucky - since most dates the front is empty.

Maybe that's a day when all the top AC boffins are travelling to celebrate the new route.......
Old May 6, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Yeah, that's really unlucky - since most dates the front is empty.

Maybe that's a day when all the top AC boffins are travelling to celebrate the new route.......
It was the inaugural flight
Old May 6, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Not a clue. Somebody has done their homework and perhaps it's because BNE is underserved (or at least not over served) unlike SYD/MEL. Have heard they are doing a good job with promoting the route - I believe it will take off.
Mate let me tell you, MEL is certainly not over served, many many pax still get funnelled over at SYD and AKL. Having x9 weekly QF and a daily UA flight to LAX is not alot for the amount of pax that travel between MEL and Nth America daily.

Well lets hope AC is successful on the new route though, they seem to be quite confident.
Old May 8, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by lcohen999

Looking forward to trying it out. BNE Int'l is simple, yet remember...even if you OLCI, you need to get your carry on weighed and tagged or they won't let you through security and customs..

Odd but true

Not any more. Was there last week. The guy with the scale at the passengers entrance to the Gate area is no longer there. Departure inspection by immigration has also been automated. No need to talk to anyone.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:53 am

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1567...tional-network
VANCOUVER, July 8, 2015 /CNW/ - Air Canada today announced the addition of new non-stop flights from Vancouver to Brisbane, Australia. Flights to Brisbane will initially operate three times weekly using Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners beginning June 17, 2016,

Not sure if it was mentioned, but flights now appear to be starting June 3.
Old May 16, 2016, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Australian Business Traveller is giving this increase some nice coverage

"Air Canada bumps Brisbane-Vancouver flights up to a Boeing 787-9"

http://www.ausbt.com.au/air-canada-d...from-june-2016

QUOTES

"Air Canada is getting bullish on Brisbane as the launch of its Brisbane-Vancouver service draws near.

First up: the Star Alliance member airline is upgrading the new route to a Boeing 787-9 to boost capacity over the originally-slated Boeing 787-8......

Air Canada will also kick off the Vancouver-Brisbane route from June 3, with three flights a week, before moving to the more desirable daily schedule from June 19.

"Air Canada says the timetable fits neatly into onwards flights from Vancouver to other Canadian and US destinations."

"The new route increases our presence in the Asia-Pacific market at a time when trade and travel in the region and between North America is growing, with a further boost expected from the Trans-Pacific Partnership now under negotiation" observed Air Canada President and CEO Calin Rovinescu.

"Canadian travellers are at an all-time high to Queensland" added Brisbane Airport CEO Julieanne Alroe, citing strong corporate links between Queensland and Canada "due to the resource sector."
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.stockhouse.com/news/press...from-Vancouver

VANCOUVER, BC and BRISBANE, Australia, June 2, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada's inaugural flight AC35, 787 Dreamliner service from Vancouver arrived in Brisbane Friday morning, marking the only non-stop service linking Canada and Queensland, Australia's 'Sunshine State'. These new flights between Vancouver and Brisbane ramp up to daily service on June 17, 2016.

"We are delighted to launch the only non-stop, year-round service between Canada and Brisbane, a significant commercial business hub and tourism gateway to one of Australia's UNESCO World Heritage Sites, the Great Barrier Reef, and the beautiful Gold Coast," said Benjamin Smith, President, Passenger Airlines at Air Canada. "Our new Brisbane flights complement our daily flights between Canada and Sydney, solidifying our market-leading position as the airline providing the most seats between Canada and Australia. The seamless connections through in-transit pre-clearance facilities combined with our extensive domestic Canada and USA network radiating from Vancouver position YVR to be the preferred trans-Pacific gateway for business and leisure travellers alike," concluded Mr. Smith.

"We're connecting B.C. proudly to the world, one new destination at a time," said Craig Richmond, President and CEO, Vancouver Airport Authority. "No airport in Canada has ever had service to Brisbane; but this service has come about because of our strength as both a destination and a connecting hub, and because of our industry-beating airline rates and charges program. In this process we've built strong relationships with Canadian and Australian tourism partners and with Brisbane Airport, who we'll continue to work with to make this new route successful."

Julieanne Alroe, Brisbane Airport Corporation CEO and Managing Director, said the importance of the new Brisbane-Vancouver flights for tourism, business and the city and state's economy could not be under-estimated. "Canada-Australia business ties are of increasing significance with our two economies sharing many major industries, like mining, agriculture and tourism, but complementing each other by operating opposing growing and tourist seasons. Every new international flight into Brisbane injects millions into our economy each year and it's not just South East Queensland that benefits. Brisbane is a major gateway to Australia and we know that the majority of international travellers through Brisbane Airport travel on to other Queensland regions by road or via our extensive domestic flight network spanning every state and 42 destinations across Australia. Additionally, a direct flight straight from Brisbane to Vancouver is great news for Queensland travellers with Canada's famously rugged and beautiful landscape now a comfortable and convenient direct flight away."

Air Canada's state-of-the-art Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft features 20 International Business Class lie-flat seat suites, 21 Premium Economy and 210 Economy Class seats with upgraded in-flight entertainment at every seat throughout the aircraft. Flights are timed to optimize connectivity to and from Air Canada's extensive North American network through the airline's Vancouver hub, while also offering in Brisbane, excellent connectivity across Australia. All Air Canada flights provide for Aeroplan accumulation and redemption and, for eligible customers, priority check-in, Maple Leaf Lounge access, priority boarding and other benefits.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:58 am

Some Tango fares YVR-BNE for September to November were as low as $965 yesterday! I can't find them today though.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Change to daily schedule?

I booked an award flight YVR-BNE for Nov 14.
but am also keeping my eye on N class availability

EF has alerted me three times now over the last month, that the flight has gone to 0's for all booking classes, and after a few days, has gone back to a normal-looking class availability (pretty much 9's except for R). On the days when EF says its '0' sure enough there are no direct flight options on AC website

I don't know what's going on. Maybe AC are considering making it a 6-day/week service.

NB There's a 15% discount for new bookings until July 25 (Flex and PE only)
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:48 pm

Being a Monday in November I suspect it's just a seasonal capacity adjustment. This happens on several routes during the shoulder season.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I thought I would drop a very quick review of AC36 BNE-YVR as I just came off it.

If you would assume that 36 would be similar to 34 in terms of food, service, etc. you would be absolutely correct.

Flying through BNE is much less of a stressful endeavor than SYD due to the fact it is much smaller.

The concierges were engaged and available when needed and did a round in the new ANZ lounge (they moved from the other side of the airport a while ago) about 20 minutes prior to boarding.

Flight was a brisk 12.5 hours due to good winds. It lands about 15 minutes before 34 so if you want to connect on 34 if you are going all the way to YYZ, it is easy to do.

787 was amazing as always. They still have not updated the updated IFE with the refurbished 777, yet.

Overall, as someone who does that route somewhat often and given QF's and ANZ frequencies out of BNE it is a nice alternative to SYD.

One thing I have noticed, SYD is still AC's flagship route. It seems to just have a bit more..panache for lack of a a better word. While BNE is just another international flight.

I am not criticizing but it was a point of interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.