Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada adding Lyon and London Gatwick in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada adding Lyon and London Gatwick in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes, we know, and people who flew rouge know.
But I agree with the point that most Canadians, going on that once-in-a-lifetime trip to Europe have no clue that Rouge is still rated the worst carrier in the world (lower than Spirit and Ryanair!)
They have no clue. No care.
You do, though
Skytrax ratings are only relevant here on FT, not in the bottom lines of the airlines rated.
Originally Posted by kwflyer
And yet many of the apologists/naysayers said 4 extra flights of WJ wasn't going to be a threat to AC. Interesting how AC thinks differently.
Yeah. I'm sure AC is feeling mighty threatened right now.
Originally Posted by arf04
Of course AC has to take WS seriously, no matter what any of the naysayers have to say about it. If WS makes it work, then there will be way more than 4 extra flights.
Sure. Lots of Canada-LGW flights could be on the horizon ... I'd imagine AC NW planners are tinkering with schedules to route Rouge 767s HNL-YYC-LGW these days. Has a nice ring to it, Doesn't it?
Originally Posted by arf04
WS has the ability to tap into its own significant customer base to feed their new flights, so that should help them but it'll be a tough slog nevertheless.
They don't stand a chance. Is WS stays on this, it's for show. They ought to stick to domestic, beaches, and TATL airports that incentivize
One just has to look at VX example.
AC engaged in predatory pricing until they drove them out
Odd, the VX CEO stated other reasons when he pulled out of YYZ
Originally Posted by YoYUL
YHZ has more transatlantic capacity this summer than YOW does despite Halifax having 1/3 the population of Ottawa.
Geography plays a large part, obviously, but YHZ gets more than 13* 767 TATL / wk?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I have flown Rouge in a non preferred seat(767). I would say it is equal to TA, but you get pts on Rouge. Preferred is is a lot better than TA and is very cheap for a non status pax to get. Why are you making statements if you do not know the product?
Excuse me for trusting 697 reviews rating this thing worst in the world over one AC SE .....

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 25, 2015 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by HangTen
Have any of AC's attempts to prevent WJ's strategic expansion ever succeeded over the past 20 years.
Probably not. But it was only since 2013 that AC had the fleet to not only match but undercut WS costs - ie Rouge. Up until then, AC costs were massively higher than WS on any route they operated.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Excuse me for trusting 697 reviews rating this thing worst in the world over one AC SE fanboy .....
Yes, I like and prefer AC over a lot of airlines.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 25, 2015 at 11:43 am Reason: personal invective
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:41 am

Now that Rouge is flying to LGW and WS hasn't yet announced which cities it is flying to from LGW, I expect it is inevitable for YEG to get shifted from LHR to LGW on Rouge as well. Likely smaller incremental costs for each additional LGW flight. Send the extra LHR slot back to YYZ making it 5x/day again.

I doubt a price sensitive market like YEG would be able to support LHR service if LGW is offered on a 763 seating 50+ more seats on its competitor.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
At this time, I can get a return to the UK from Canada for $800 with Air Canada. From the UK to Canada, it is often more than double that.

Air Transat sell returns from the UK for around $750-800. WestJet I'm sure will be doing the same (and the reason I'm excited by their entrance is it'll offer something different to TS point to point tickets only). For AC to truly compete in this market, it will have to offer a sea change in how it sells fares to the British customers, otherwise Brits won't travel from Gatwick (they'll use TS or WS )and there'd be no benefit in going Rouge over mainline.

I say this because the Rouge flights operating to Manchester and Glasgow do not offer any value to the British, suffering the same expense as mainline through London. Therefore it's with baited breath to see if this route will actually be worth flying.

Last edited by moorw003; Jun 25, 2015 at 11:08 am
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by YoYUL
Yeah way back in the day AC865/866 used to operate at YOW-YMX-LHR-5th freedom tag to one of either NCE/LYS/DUS/DEL.
I don't believe that LYS was ever tagged-on from LHR. LYS operated with a 227/229 Seat all Y 767-200ER and IIRC the flight numbers were 892/893.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I don't believe that LYS was ever tagged-on from LHR. LYS operated with a 227/229 Seat all Y 767-200ER and IIRC the flight numbers were 892/893.
Must be a long time ago?

I recall one year they tried YMX-BRU on a 762LR, but two classes. 1996.

But since I moved back to Canada in 1992, I have no recollection of (1) fights to LYS, or (2) Y only 762?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
Selfishly hoping for dusseldof next from Toronto - I was actually talking to an AC employee I was sitting next to a couple weeks ago on a flight and he mentioned Beirut is a possibility of all places.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Stranger
Must be a long time ago?

I recall one year they tried YMX-BRU on a 762LR, but two classes. 1996.

But since I moved back to Canada in 1992, I have no recollection of (1) fights to LYS, or (2) Y only 762?
There was a period in the late 80's/90's where demand for Premium Travel
(F & J) declined and all or a portion of fins 613-619 (762LR's) were converted to an all Y configuration - varying versions of 227Y/229Y/231Y. I recall these aircraft operating to GLA, MAN, BHX, DUB, SNN, BFS, LIS, MAD, LYS and even some short-lived routes like YVR-CDG & YVR-YYC-ZRH. 767's have gone through more seating configuration changes than any other aircraft type since I've been around.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Swarez
Selfishly hoping for dusseldof next from Toronto - I was actually talking to an AC employee I was sitting next to a couple weeks ago on a flight and he mentioned Beirut is a possibility of all places.
I remember they were going to launch to Beirut back in the early 2000's but it got pulled; if IIRC it was due to the Canadian government getting involved however not sure why.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Swarez
Dusseldorf is a tough sustainable market. LH pulled DUS-YYZ (shifted to MUC), I believe MIA & ORD are next to be axed. I was selfishly hoping as well - love the City
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Now that Rouge is flying to LGW and WS hasn't yet announced which cities it is flying to from LGW, I expect it is inevitable for YEG to get shifted from LHR to LGW on Rouge as well.
Interesting thought, but I disagree. I'd be shocked if that happens.

I think AC will follow WS around Gatwick. Toronto is an obvious choice due to the LON-TOR O/D. I'm assuming WS will announce YYZ and/or YYC for initial Gatwick deployment, and AC might well follow with their own YYC announcement.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
There was a period in the late 80's/90's where demand for Premium Travel
(F & J) declined and all or a portion of fins 613-619 (762LR's) were converted to an all Y configuration - varying versions of 227Y/229Y/231Y. I recall these aircraft operating to GLA, MAN, BHX, DUB, SNN, BFS, LIS, MAD, LYS and even some short-lived routes like YVR-CDG & YVR-YYC-ZRH. 767's have gone through more seating configuration changes than any other aircraft type since I've been around.
Correct, except they were not all 767ER.
Fins 607 and 609 were also in all Y and operated to places like MAN and GLA.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
1994-2003: I had occasion to fly TS on their seasonal YQB-CDG route in both Y and in Club class. IIRC, I travelled in front once and in back twice. It was very convenient not to have a cnx. Club class was quite acceptable for a 6,5 hour flight. Y was cramped.

TS offers a competitive product on some markets.

Over a somewhat wider period 1995-2011, I flew CDG with AC about 6-8 times annually, with cnx in YUL or YYZ .

AC delivered very good and attentive service inflight and on the ground on pairings 870/871, 880/881 and 884/885 in both Y and J. Circumstances would have it that I was able to UG to J 100% from about 1999 onwards with status that ranged from P to E to SE, so my view is very positive.

YMMV.

Service to LYS could be interesting and will save on a cnx to LH at FRA or the TGV ride down from CDG.

Although not that far from GVA, LYS is an interesting jumping-off point for some great leisure and business areas of France.

I used to love staying at the Sofitel on top of the LYS terminal, just a few dozen steps from the LH gates. Hotel has been rebranded and my travels don't take me through LYS anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.