Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Don't forget WS stole our data, showing the attractiveness of YYZ over YHM.

Care to weigh in, HangTen?

Ben, You guys should be checking your computer security now. Canadian business case model for starting a airline. Steal AC route info.

Don't forget WS stole our data, showing the attractiveness of YYZ over YHM.

Care to weigh in, HangTen?

Memo to WestJet: Next time buy a crosscut shredder.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 10, 2015 at 4:07 pm Reason: merge posts
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Ben, You guys should be checking your computer security now. Canadian business case model for starting a airline. Steal AC route info.
Wow. Such lols. Much smiles.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
If you think Tango failed you really don't understand our business.
you mean these painted planes were a success.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Air+C...Lq-wsASO2oHIAg
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by why fly
you mean these painted planes were a success.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Air+C...Lq-wsASO2oHIAg
Still waiting to hear how ZIP was a success, and how AC was ahead of the competition in innovative thinking with that one too.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
WestJet stole the info "old school". By the way, why did no one go to Jail? I guess with white collar crime, make a little donations and you are good to go. Come to think of it, didn't Porter get route info a shady way too.
wait, so do you think someone at AC should go to JAIL, for Fixing Air Freight rates with its competitors? Or is that different because you love AC?

Didn't AC lose its court case against Porter? I think i read AC even had to pay Porters lawyers fees. ( someone can dig this up)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Tango was resurrected.. as Rogue; except this time they got wage concessions.

The real danger of course is if they still fill the planes with Rogue-density seating, and don't get enough push back, they'll continue to expand it to the rest of mainline (see 77W-HD).

As for an airline trying to start up out of YHM... good luck. They may be able to grab some of traffic that's heading to BUF now, but it won't be enough to be any sort of threat to AC, and if they're schlepping to Hamilton to save a few bucks, AC an probably do without.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by entropy
Tango was resurrected.. as Rogue; except this time they got wage concessions.

The real danger of course is if they still fill the planes with Rogue-density seating, and don't get enough push back, they'll continue to expand it to the rest of mainline (see 77W-HD).

As for an airline trying to start up out of YHM... good luck. They may be able to grab some of traffic that's heading to BUF now, but it won't be enough to be any sort of threat to AC, and if they're schlepping to Hamilton to save a few bucks, AC an probably do without.
They have gotten pushback from the J paying pax - see Rouge replaces all 3x3 seating in front cabin with 2x2 seating. Push back can work.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
They have gotten pushback from the J paying pax - see Rouge replaces all 3x3 seating in front cabin with 2x2 seating. Push back can work.
I thought they always wanted 2x2 but it took some negotiating with one of the unions to make that work. I don't think AC ever wanted 3x3. No?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I thought they always wanted 2x2 but it took some negotiating with one of the unions to make that work. I don't think AC ever wanted 3x3. No?
That was my understanding too.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
[QUOTE=why fly;24951218]wait, so do you think someone at AC should go to JAIL, for Fixing Air Freight rates with its competitors? Or is that different because you love AC?

No, Fines were paid based on damages, where WestJet had to make small donation without having to take responsibility.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That was my understanding too.
But after it was put in, do you think they would bother changing it to 2x2 if no one was complaining?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
But after it was put in, do you think they would bother changing it to 2x2 if no one was complaining?
I'm sure people complained, but still...I'm sure AC had no intention of putting in 3x3 in the first place. But given the constraints, they had to. I bet you they can also get a higher yield / eg command a higher price premium with 2x2. Time will tell!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:28 pm
Original Member

What everyone seems to be overlooking is that currently, perhaps for the first time in history, the airline industry is actually making money. Even with airlines cutting back service, benefits, space and adding all sorts of extra charges and fees, pretty much every airline in North America has been packing their planes and making money. It doesn't seem a stretch that there could be enough excess demand to satisfy a new airline with modest ambitions.

Moreover, I think the catchment area for YHM contains a lot more people than, say, even YVR. Yes it's a given that the small number of flights to/from YHM will be a limiting factor, but if they are careful and selective they might make a go of it.

I don't know if it's a good idea or if they will be successful, but all of the comparisons made so far refer to a time long ago. The airline industry today is not what it was 20 years ago, or 10, or even 5. It's not even the industry it was 2 years ago.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by tcook052
The method used is not hacking in the sense of the word. It's about the same as making a copy an employees key ring, not really breaking and entering when you have the key to the door locks.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
WestJet stole the info "old school". By the way, why did no one go to Jail? I guess with white collar crime, make a little donations and you are good to go. Come to think of it, didn't Porter get route info a shady way too.
This kind of stuff happens all the time in Canada no one goes to jail because no one wants to go to court over the issue and have the incident be one public record. This is one reason why more "competitive intelligence" is conducted in Canada vs other western countries. Now we're way off topic though, any additional discussion on this should be in OMNi.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.