Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Old Jun 24, 16, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, UA*1K, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
Reminds me of Greyhound Air, but even they had a better schedule.

Anyone remember them?
I do. I was working as a CSR for DL in YYC at the time, and DL handled Greyhound. I miss B727s in passenger service!
Old Jun 24, 16, 9:59 am

If I wake up tomorrow to learn this whole FlyLeaf thing is not even real and just a University's MBA mock-company project, I would be less surprised than I was waking up to Brexit this morning.

Between the network, schedule, and that press conference/announcement yesterday, I'm not sure this is real.

AC/WS reacting to this via fare matches would be embarrassing.

All that said, if it makes money, employees a few and entices travel for people who would otherwise stay put, it's not cool to be a debbie downer about it.
Old Jun 24, 16, 10:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn View Post
I am not an expert but I would think it would be better to start with a few less destinations and increase the frequency on the other routes to more than 2 times a week.
It makes sense given that it's so leisure-oriented. If I want to go YWG-YYJ as cheaply as possible, it won't bother me that I have to fly out on a Tuesday instead of a Thursday or whatever... I'll work around it. Hell, as a non-status Aeroplan user I'm very well acquainted with working around the provider's availability.

What I'd like to know, though, is who is the mysterious Minneapolis backer that HangTen is referring to?
Old Jun 24, 16, 12:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
Reminds me of Greyhound Air, but even they had a better schedule.

Anyone remember them?
I do, and they were actually profitable, but laidlaw (greyhounds new owners) didn't want to be in the airline business.
Old Jun 24, 16, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow View Post
WS announced a couple new routes.
Dates seem to coincide with the anticipated lifespan of New Leaf.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/westje...182100671.html

Details of new service:

Edmonton . Hamilton - Edmonton
Four times weekly

July 29 September 5, 2016

Winnipeg Kelowna - Winnipeg

Three times weekly

July 28 September 6, 2016
Old Jun 24, 16, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Wink

Originally Posted by kwflyer View Post
I do, and they were actually profitable, but laidlaw (greyhounds new owners) didn't want to be in the airline business.
Yep, I flew them a few times with family and kids between Ontario and BC...all I recall is you had to transfer in Winnipeg and the pressurization on their planes was not that great...so lot of earaches on descent.

For the price they were pretty good, and really a precursor of low cost airlines today.
Old Jun 24, 16, 1:32 pm

Nope

"It never approached profitability, and flight loads were well below expectations. "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_Air
Old Jun 24, 16, 1:48 pm

Not quite:

"Greyhound Air had lost C$28 million ($19 million) since beginning operations in July 1996, despite achieving good load factors, but is being discontinued as a precondition of the take-over of inter-city bus operator Greyhound by Canadian company Laidlaw. "

Other reports indicate that those load factors while "good" were still well below expectations and the level needed for profitability.
Old Jun 24, 16, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
How does having $50 WS dollars help with booking NewLeaf?
I think the OP booked a WS flight
Old Jun 24, 16, 3:36 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
How does having $50 WS dollars help with booking NewLeaf?
Oops, sorry....Westjet matched them on the days they fly (to YYZ or YHM) for the flights that match their schedules. I won't book on Newleaf as they are not even off the ground yet.
Old Jun 24, 16, 7:13 pm

Nonsense.

Dick Huisman bet the company's future on the airline and the losses ultimately forced the sale of the business.

It was a fiscal disaster from the get go, but their plan looks like pure genius compared to the incoherent mess that is New Leaf.
Old Jun 24, 16, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by HangTen View Post
Nonsense.

Dick Huisman bet the company's future on the airline and the losses ultimately forced the sale of the business.

It was a fiscal disaster from the get go, but their plan looks like pure genius compared to the incoherent mess that is New Leaf.
At least he still hangs out at The Bow Valley Club
Old Jun 24, 16, 8:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow View Post
I'm sure they're very shameful of having to address new competition in this domestic duopoly since now WS and ac have started to match. I'm not sure whose losing more sleep:

A) management over having to actually compete for once and step away from their complacent spreadsheets,

B) ac shareholders, who took a nice 5% nosedive today, on the stock.

Poor them.
Old Jun 24, 16, 9:17 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
Hahaha - under "Special Services"
Visual or Hearing Impaired
After booking, the customer is required to call one of our customer service representatives at (204) 888-HELP (4357) to inform us of their condition and any special needs.
If you are deaf, you can't call that number.
(Fits in with the general obliviousness evident in the use of "hearing impaired".)
I have no need to go anywhere they fly, but I hope someone, er, educates them about accessibility.
Old Jun 24, 16, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
I'm sure they're very shameful of having to address new competition in this domestic duopoly since now WS and ac have started to match. I'm not sure whose losing more sleep:

A) management over having to actually compete for once and step away from their complacent spreadsheets,

B) ac shareholders, who took a nice 5% nosedive today, on the stock.

Poor them.
My money is on everyone sleeping soundly tonight at AC and WS.

As for shareholders, I think some other big event may have happened, maybe in the UK. It may have impacted the the stock market in general. I hold no airline shares but saw some drops today myself across a broad spectrum of companies. Call me crazy but I don't think we can contribute the "nosedive" on AC stock today entirely to a new airline.

Search this Thread