Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Old Jan 20, 16, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
The Y food on AC transatlantic varies from poor to inedible. KLM has pretty ok food for Y. Westjet doesn't have free food and I can live with that but the no free bag on trans Atlantic is very poor for sure. Lost 3 tkts so far as I've dissuaded people from booking on WS and directed them to Icelandair.
One stop vs non stop? Do you think you are doing them a service?

Old Jan 20, 16, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

A reminder that this thread is to be about NewLeaf and any impact on AC and for other airline discussion such as WS vs. Ac there are other threads in other forums on that comparison such as this one in the WS forum.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Mar 30, 16, 8:12 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/newl...ipeg-1.3511888

Discount airline NewLeaf Travel has been given the OK to start offering low-cost flights in Canada.

The Winnipeg-based company, which in January promised one-way fares as low as $89 between seven Canadian cities, hoped to start flying last month but ran into turbulence in the form of the the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA), which immediately said it was conducting a review of the licensing requirements of so-called indirect air service carriers like New Leaf.
Old Mar 30, 16, 4:04 pm

Programs: *Gold
I wonder when they'll start selling tickets again, and if they'll keep their low price point? I was kicking myself for not jumping on the sub $200 return YHZ-YYZ
Old Mar 30, 16, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC View Post
I wonder when they'll start selling tickets again, and if they'll keep their low price point? I was kicking myself for not jumping on the sub $200 return YHZ-YYZ
Same here, especially when WS matched. They said they'll open reservations "very soon", so hopefully we'll find out shortly…
Old Mar 30, 16, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by JamilD View Post
Same here, especially when WS matched. They said they'll open reservations "very soon", so hopefully we'll find out shortly…
Assuming Flair is still interested in being their operator. They seemed to have lost their enthusiasm when start-up was delayed.

Still seems like a stretch as a successful business model given their choice of airports.
Old Apr 1, 16, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
Assuming Flair is still interested in being their operator. They seemed to have lost their enthusiasm when start-up was delayed.
I reached out to NewLeaf and they stated unequivocally that Flair will be the operator, so I'm assuming they've reached an agreement on something
Old Apr 1, 16, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by JamilD View Post
I reached out to NewLeaf and they stated unequivocally that Flair will be the operator, so I'm assuming they've reached an agreement on something
Apparently.

Read the whole CTA ruling and NewLeaf has to change their website and ad's a bit to make it clear that:

a. They are NOT an air carrier but a reseller ("Airline" or pretty much "Air" anything needs to be downplayed in reference to the name NewLeaf"). Including how displayed on the aircraft livery.
b. The actual operator "Flair" needs to be disclosed clearly, visibly and upfront.
c. Flair is responsible for all air carrier tariffs with respect to operations. NewLeaf is responsible for fares/charges and passenger essentially to the aircraft doorway.
Old Apr 1, 16, 11:13 am

LOl. Their target market is probably of the equivalent IQ of Donald Trump supporters in the US, and so the T&C will end up in a small claims court.

The affidavit after a failed claim for a failed flight will read like this:

"OMG, I thought I was buying a ticket on a real airline, like, with backup planes and things. And I know I have diabetes because I ate too many Oreos and processed foods, but that's not my fault either, because big food companies sold me junk. NewLeaf? I just think this is a case of the big company taking advantage of a small town in Canada person like me, and like, I'm just ashamed that they could sell me a ticket, and not have a plane that would show up when the other one didn't. Did I read the terms and conditions? Are you stupid? I see those on my Android device all the time and I have an app that just makes them go away, so I can get on to NukeMinecrafter"

---> People should have to have an IQ to purchase an airline ticket. Really.
Old Apr 1, 16, 11:29 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy View Post
I thought I was buying a ticket on a real airline, like, with backup planes and things
All this talk about "backup planes" is a bit of a Red Herring. Sure, if you're sitting at YYZ and your 320 goes mechanical, AC can probably find another one - But if you're sitting at the gate at ICN waiting to head home and your plane has a glitch there isn't a spare lying around in Asia that AC can use to get you home. So in that sense, they're no different than NewLeaf.
Old Apr 1, 16, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by gglave View Post
All this talk about "backup planes" is a bit of a Red Herring. Sure, if you're sitting at YYZ and your 320 goes mechanical, AC can probably find another one - But if you're sitting at the gate at ICN waiting to head home and your plane has a glitch there isn't a spare lying around in Asia that AC can use to get you home. So in that sense, they're no different than NewLeaf.
I don't think NewLeaf will be rebooking you on an AC or WS flight when they go mechanical though!
Old Apr 1, 16, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
Yeah, but there's also a better likelihood that OZ or KE (in the case of ICN, but any other international airline when AC is at their hub) would jump into help in some way.

No one would help NewLeaf / Flair.

So from that perspective, it's still a bit different.
Old Apr 1, 16, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
Apparently.

Read the whole CTA ruling and NewLeaf has to change their website and ad's a bit to make it clear that:

a. They are NOT an air carrier but a reseller ("Airline" or pretty much "Air" anything needs to be downplayed in reference to the name NewLeaf"). Including how displayed on the aircraft livery.
b. The actual operator "Flair" needs to be disclosed clearly, visibly and upfront.
c. Flair is responsible for all air carrier tariffs with respect to operations. NewLeaf is responsible for fares/charges and passenger essentially to the aircraft doorway.
They should have learned from KF/Greyhound's experiences.
Old Apr 1, 16, 2:22 pm

Not really different than if Sunwing or another charter goes mechanical anywhere. And let's face it, the same people who fly with Sunwing and think it's the greatest thing with wings because it includes food and "wine" are the same people who would jump all over Flair/New Leaf.
Old Apr 2, 16, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy View Post
LOl. Their target market is probably of the equivalent IQ of Donald Trump supporters in the US, and so the T&C will end up in a small claims court.

The affidavit after a failed claim for a failed flight will read like this:

"OMG, I thought I was buying a ticket on a real airline, like, with backup planes and things. And I know I have diabetes because I ate too many Oreos and processed foods, but that's not my fault either, because big food companies sold me junk. NewLeaf? I just think this is a case of the big company taking advantage of a small town in Canada person like me, and like, I'm just ashamed that they could sell me a ticket, and not have a plane that would show up when the other one didn't. Did I read the terms and conditions? Are you stupid? I see those on my Android device all the time and I have an app that just makes them go away, so I can get on to NukeMinecrafter"

---> People should have to have an IQ to purchase an airline ticket. Really.
"With this lawsuit, I also hope to make flying great again!"

Search this Thread