Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I don't see any way Canadian customers will be accepting of this...
Canadian customers accepted no free meals onboard. They accepted paying $7 for a beer. They accepted largely unusable Frequent Flier miles with $$$ fees attached. They accepted checked baggage fees. The accepted fees for a seat assignment. They accepted fees for ticket changes. They accepted no blankets and no pillows on a transcon redeye. They accepted paying more for legroom.

...and that was all Air Canada, our 'flag carrier.'
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gglave
Canadian customers accepted no free meals onboard. They accepted paying $7 for a beer. They accepted largely unusable Frequent Flier miles with $$$ fees attached. They accepted checked baggage fees. The accepted fees for a seat assignment. They accepted fees for ticket changes. They accepted no blankets and no pillows on a transcon redeye. They accepted paying more for legroom.

None of that comes close to having to pay for food on a 10 hour flight.

I can fly a TATL with no beer. I don't think I'd make it with no food.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Of course it does.

...and when airlines start charging for food on longhaul, passengers will start to pay or bring their own food, just like they did on long train journeys back in the day.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
Ummm, how is this arrangement really any different than AC selling seats on United flights?

Personally I think they should just ban codeshareing altogether. It would take care of a major customer service problem with the traditional carriers, and it would stop problems like these cropping up where its not entirely clear to the public on whose aircraft services are being offered (ie: Newleaf's, or Flair's).
It is COMPLETELY different. AC - United is a codeshare. In codeshare arrangement both AC and United are fully licensed air carriers and are selling tickets in compliance with their filed air carrier tariffs.

Newleaf is not legally an air carrier. They are using Flair's operating license to run these flights. There a variety of regulatory issues with this:
- The tickets should really be issued by Flair, which they may be - but that fact has to be clearly spelled-out. Newleaf could "sell and market" but as essentially a glorified travel agency not as an air carrier.
- The aircraft is apparently marked with Newleaf, but as they are not an air carrier this also requires special dispensation - particularly if the Newleaf name is much more prominent on the aircraft than Flair.
- And several others.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/newl...nada-1.3409142

NewLeaf discount airline postpones service, will refund tickets
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Savings will be less once grandma gets caught at the gate for an $80 carry on fee and needs to pay for her tea onboard.

I don't see any way Canadian customers will be accepting of this... Similarly I expect backlash when WS tries to charge for meals on their 10hr TATLs too.
You have not flown Air Lingus LHR-DUB. I had bought J ticket on AC to LHR connecting to Dublin. LHR-DUB booked in full Y. No free beverage for any class of service I was told by the FA. Nothing Free including a Beverage
Had to pay for the tea. As well for water.

I would not discount Canadian Ma & Pa Kettle happy to pay for a $10.00 Meal on 10 Hour flight if it will save them $50.00 per person in Airfare.

I hope The New Leaf gets off the ground. YWG & YQR market need a break from high WS & AC fares.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:46 pm

I can fly a TATL with no beer. I don't think I'd make it with no food.
EWR-HNL is 11+ hours.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tracon
EWR-HNL is 11+ hours.
And no Canadian airline flies that route
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I don't see any way Canadian customers will be accepting of this.
Canadians pay full price for Rouge flights. They're used to being abused in the marketplace - I don't see how this would be any different.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:30 pm

And no Canadian airline flies that route
Doesn't AC Rouge fly YYZ-HNL seasonally?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
Doesn't AC Rouge fly YYZ-HNL seasonally?
Yes and it is blocked at 10h30m.

So while flight time is similar and people must have adapted to bringing their own food, it is a transborder flight and that is the expectation. I still think people will be shocked when they get on a flight to Europe and are expected to pull their wallet out of the overhead bin - it isn't the norm. AFAIK only Westjet/Icelandair charge TATL, and only 1 will operate >7hrs.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:45 pm

Also note how selecting flights AC vs WS differ. AC is upfront about food for purchase as soon as you select a flight. WS does not show this anywhere obvious on any of their booking screens all the way through to payment. People will be surprised about no complimentary food.

(On an unrelated note, also look how clearly AC makes the point it is a Rouge flight)

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:28 am

Also note how selecting flights AC vs WS differ. AC is upfront about food for purchase as soon as you select a flight. WS does not show this anywhere obvious on any of their booking screens all the way through to payment. People will be surprised about no complimentary food.

(On an unrelated note, also look how clearly AC makes the point it is a Rouge flight)

WS does not serve complimentary food on any of its flights. Why would anyone familiar with WS be surprised?

I dont like what WS is doing (or, indeed, the entire airline) but as others have pointed out, Rouge has demonstrated that there is a leisure market with a high tolerance for no-frills products. All WS (or any airline) has to do is undercut AC. AC Y catering is pretty frugal and bog-standard; it's not going to earn a premium. No catering = more room for WS to undercut, no?

Will WS go complimentary or will Rouge match? The latter is more likely than the former if recent trends are indicators. Should be fun to watch.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The Y food on AC transatlantic varies from poor to inedible. KLM has pretty ok food for Y. Westjet doesn't have free food and I can live with that but the no free bag on trans Atlantic is very poor for sure. Lost 3 tkts so far as I've dissuaded people from booking on WS and directed them to Icelandair.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by gglave

You live in Vancouver. $7 beer is cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.