Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Good for New leaf, last week both WS & AC were not able to have lower fares, these guys come along and now WS has lower fares and as already commented AC probably will also, funny how that happens. Lets hope these guys stay around as they will help make it possible for Canadian families to travel, perhaps keep some of the folks in BC & Ontario from crossing the border and fly through the US.

Lets bet that these guys survive and make flight travel in Canada more affordable for all than hoping they fail so the traveling Canadian public losses. ^
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by airbus320
It is irresponsible to craft a schedule with no flexibility due to IRROPS. Yes aircraft do break down.
There is no flying scheduled for Tuesdays, sounds like a reasonable day to fix a broken plane, or even do proactive maintenance.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
Burn 2-3 hours driving and using ghetto airports. No thanks.
Step out of your Bay St. bubble for a second and realize that folks routinely drive 2-3 hours to save $250 x 4 (a whole paycheque for some).

Single business travelers, not so much.

Cheers
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by pitz
WS just loaded a bunch of fares competing to YVR/YYZ for the same prices.

~$210 all-in for YQR/YXE-YYZ.

AC can't be far behind.
1- this new company should have anticipated this and most likely has this worked into their business plan, and have priced this at a point where WS and AC would lose money matching pricing.

2- will AC/ws want to lose money over short/medium if end of day this company is capturing a new type of customer instead of stealing them. I think they may be looked at like how wind mobile is by Rogers and bell, an annoyance but sit at a different place in the market.

3- I won't be flying them I don't think, but want them to succeed. I did my masters in the U.S., having spirit was great when I was a poor student. 60-80 bucks RT DC To Florida - good times.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Step out of your Bay St. bubble for a second and realize that folks routinely drive 2-3 hours to save $250 x 4 (a whole paycheque for some).

Cheers
I doubt fares are typically $250 lower per person for the average family who is fine with Tango fares.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I doubt fares are typically $250 lower per person for the average family who is fine with Tango fares.
If average families are fine with Tango fares, why have they traditionally been driving to Buffalo, Bellingham and Seattle?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by gglave
If average families are fine with Tango fares, why have they traditionally been driving to Buffalo, Bellingham and Seattle?
Certain US airlines dump excess capacity into those markets at below their cost of production (much like AC would rather dump its excess capacity into the US, than discount it for Canadians, as evidenced by LAX-YVR-HKG being often quite cheaper than YXE-YVR-HKG). And there are many Canadians who are literally closer to those airports than they are to the Canadian equivalents.

AC fares themselves are usually quite similar to the US carriers. The key difference is YYZ charges $40-$50/passenger to use their facilities (AIF + rents + ridiculous US Customs charges), while the US airports charge far less and avoid the Customs fee on account of land crossings "magically" being 'free'.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever

Cheers
Yeah. NewLeaf isn't targeted at most people who go on FT. It's targeted at people who otherwise wouldn't be able to fly due to cost (or who wouldn't be able to fly as often). NewLeaf cuts Tango/Econo fares in half for some routes.

For the inaugural date, one way YYZ/YHM-YHZ: PD Firm $196, AC Tango $221, NewLeaf $99. YYZ/YHM-YXE is $273 on AC, $119 on NewLeaf.

I don't earn much as a student, and I often take more painful routes (7 hour connections, never nonstop, etc) to save less than $50. If an ULCC saves me 25-50%, it's a no-brainer,.especially since I typically only carry a personal item. If they bring legacy carriers' prices down too, even better.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
I'm excited to see the CBC news story about the person who suffered from heatstroke on NewLeaf from wearing 3 pairs of pants, 6 shirts and 2 jackets yet forgot their wallet and couldn't buy water.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jjclancy
There is no flying scheduled for Tuesdays, sounds like a reasonable day to fix a broken plane, or even do proactive maintenance.
We're assuming the Flair aircraft are otherwise idle and won't have other charter work scheduled. I doubt this is the case.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:02 pm

AC not biting, yet. Good for them!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
I'm excited to see the CBC news story about the person who suffered from heatstroke on NewLeaf from wearing 3 pairs of pants, 6 shirts and 2 jackets yet forgot their wallet and couldn't buy water.
I lol'd.

Would people actually do that?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I lol'd.

Would people actually do that?
It actually happened on easyJet. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...-west-33492512
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
Nobody is traditionally driving to any of those cities for the city pair referred to in the quote above my post.

On a random Feb weekday (the 18th, busy over reading week), AC operates 2694 seats YYZ-YVR. WS operates 990. All US carriers combined BUF-BLI/SEA operate 0.

The savings may be worth it if the family ends up in a convenient airport at least on one end (FLL), but that wasn't the question. I was responding to someone suggesting there is demand for BUF-SEA/BLI because we are being so badly hosed on YYZ-YVR. When evidently there isn't.

EDIT: Daily seats in July
WS YYZYVR: 1473
AC YYZYVR: 3671
All BUF-SEA/BLI: 0

Last edited by winnipegrev; Jan 8, 2016 at 2:59 pm
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
CBC would only report it if it involved a refugee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.