Wiki Posts
Search

AC Staff in J when overbooked

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You have it backwards.
I think, rather, that he used the word "standby list" inaccurately. He was talking about employees on a "space available" J pass. Basically, AC staff that can book in J if there is space.

"Space available" does sound like the space might come before upgrades. Employees on the standby list however would be a different story. As you say.

As for the point about captains, they ALWAYS get J when deadheading. Period. That's not standby/upgrade/whatever. They are booked into J.
I have seen an upgraded passenger bumped back to Y to make room for a captain. After everyone except the captain had already boarded.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
You sound entitled. If you want J, buy it.
This.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:36 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by epiphani
Generally in the case of a full/overbooked flight I expect to be near the top of the op-up priority. That's all. I certainly didn't feel entitled to it in this case. I'd have been grumpy had I tried to eup and failed - but I didn't.

But you answered my question. I wasn't aware pilots were given J seats by default.
You are near the top for op ups but below revenue and non-revenue employees.

For getting any seat on the plane you are below deadheads but above commuters, non rev leisure travellers, and most non rev business travel.

I think this is just.

This is another non issue of a thread. You're not owed J if you didn't pay for it.

And yeah pilots deadheading get J by default.

It's just a seat on a plane.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:41 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pitz
The "upgrade" list, as explained in various other threads, is different than that of the "standby" list (J standby implies that a passenger has an entitlement to fly in the J cabin by paying a fare/J AP reward or being on a J pass), and "upgrade" priorities are different than standby priorities. The standby list is cleared before the upgrade priorities come into effect.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24846668-post25.html

You have been corrected by Ben in the past about this. Please stop spewing incorrect information.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC staff can book J, book Y and upgrade, or stand by. The same as you can (okay - a little different). Captains book J when deadheading.
Deadheading crew do not "book" anything, the booking is done by crew scheduling as part of the pairing the employee is on.

AC staff can "book" flights using their employee passes for commuting to/from home and their base of operation and for any leisure travel they may wish to take. Employee travel pass bookings are stand-by, the stand-by priority for employee passes is at the bottom of the list, as explained by cur up thread.

Last edited by jaysona; Jun 8, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:27 pm

There was a ground delay/stop at YYZ on Friday? I flew in from AMS and we weren't delayed at all, in fact, we landed a little early.

What exactly is a ground delay/stop?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shaner82

When there is a weather issue such that it becomes dangerous for people working on the apron. So they stop until the weather moves out.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on a YVR/YYZ flight last week that was at capacity. I noted 2 captains,1 First officer and 2 Flight Attendants in uniform sitting in Y
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87
I was on a YVR/YYZ flight last week that was at capacity. I noted 2 captains,1 First officer and 2 Flight Attendants in uniform sitting in Y
Could be people commuting, or could have been Jazz crews. Jazz pilots (Capt. included) don't have the deadhead in J requirement that mainline AC pilots have.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaysona
Deadheading crew do not "book" anything, the booking is done by crew scheduling as part of the pairing the employee is on.
I feel like you're playing with irrelevant semantics.

I don't book anything, my assistant does. And yet I somehow manage to have a confirmed seat on the flight, even though I never booked it.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
There was a ground delay/stop at YYZ on Friday? I flew in from AMS and we weren't delayed at all, in fact, we landed a little early.

Were you on 825? Which background did you choose for your souvenir photo?

I was on the flight and connecting to YUL on 420. Red alert caused by lightning started when the inbound aircraft pulled to the gate. We then pushed late, returned to the gate for mechanical issues and then spent over two hours in the air YYZ-YUL due to the WS plane off the runway at YUL which was causing flow issues due to closed runways. Longest Rapidair of my life.

If your travels for the day ended in Toronto you were lucky!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ls17031
Were you on 825? Which background did you choose for your souvenir photo?

I was on the flight and connecting to YUL on 420. Red alert caused by lightning started when the inbound aircraft pulled to the gate. We then pushed late, returned to the gate for mechanical issues and then spent over two hours in the air YYZ-YUL due to the WS plane off the runway at YUL which was causing flow issues due to closed runways. Longest Rapidair of my life.

If your travels for the day ended in Toronto you were lucky!
I landed in Toronto at 1930. The weather was clear, a little cloudy, but that's about it. I guess I got lucky, which I'm happy about, as by the time I got home I had already been traveling for 26 hours. I didn't have much left in the tank.

Not sure what 825 refers to, unless it's a flight number, in which case the answer is no. I was on KLM695 (or possibly 691, can't remember now). Also no clue what you mean with the souvenir photo.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
You sound entitled. If you want J, buy it.
or would that be the employees who sound entitled?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by why fly
or would that be the employees who sound entitled?
You'll never hear an employee moan, whine and cry "o woe is me - I didn't get a free seat in a cabin class I didn't really pay for - but somehow I still deserve it for some reason" about not getting a J seat, they're happy just get a seat.

Those whining that they're not getting a free "op-up" to J and not paying for it are the ones sounding entitled.

I personally am quite happy to see no more op-ups (except for w&b), you want J, pay for it - like I have to - either via fare class purchase or eUp credits.

How many staff in J threads is this now?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I landed in Toronto at 1930. The weather was clear, a little cloudy, but that's about it. I guess I got lucky, which I'm happy about, as by the time I got home I had already been traveling for 26 hours. I didn't have much left in the tank.

Not sure what 825 refers to, unless it's a flight number, in which case the answer is no. I was on KLM695 (or possibly 691, can't remember now). Also no clue what you mean with the souvenir photo.
Ahh, sorry, I took for granted you were flying AC. Friday marked the inaugural service of AC824/825, the new YYZ-AMS-YYZ flight for Air Canada. It's apparently been years since AC served AMS year-round so they had a reception set up at check-in and at the gate to mark the event, which included numerous airline and diplomatic dignitaries. The had a photographer setup up at the gate with a green screen and every passenger who wanted one could get a picture of themselves with various Toronto or Amsterdam themed backdrops. They even had little Air Canada logos on cupcakes at the gate. A classy move on the part of AC and despite some hiccups on the part of the ground handling provider everything went well.

AC825 arrived at 14:25 (like you, a little early) so the ground stop mentioned up thread played a little havoc for those connecting on the 16:00 and 17:00 YUL flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.